Questions about switching RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an HP xt948 with a ASUS P4B-LA (Amazon) motherboard. I only have 256MB of 133MHz SDRAM, I'm a little too rough on my computer for that amount of memory and it's causing me problems. Money is a little tight right now so I'm trying to scavenge parts from some old computers that are sitting around. I found 3 sticks of Apacer 128MB 100MHz in 1 case and 2 sticks of Liberty 512MB 133MHz DDR400 PC3200 in another. In an ideal world I'd like to take out my 256 and put in the 2 512's. But I get the impression the DDRs aren't compatible. Is that true? If it is, would it make sense to switch out the 256 for the 3 128's (to keep the speed the same). Or since they're slower (100 vs 133) would the speed loss counteract any benefit of an extra 128MB? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Changing the ram to 384MB won't change much from the current 256MB. You could try to add two 128MB modules to the initial 256MB, as that would bring in a sufficient change in every day usage (even if all the memory modules are brought down to run at the speed of the slowest module: 100MHz).

Once you install the new ram, always run a memtest to see if things are working well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back