Quick Fan Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

OK, this is not for my computer. I am creating a remote control hovercraft and I plan to use a case fan for lift. And who would know more about case fans than the people who visit techspot forums?

I need to know/verify a few things first:
1. Fans normally use 12v right?
2. How many amps or watts do they use?

Thanks for your help!

Pc fans are nowhere near powerful enough for a hovercraft (i have experimented)!!!!

First, how many CFM were the fans you tried?
Second, how heavy was your craft?
Third, what was your skirt like?

I think with a 90 CFM fan, a balsa wood platform, and a proper skirt it might be possible. (O, and just to make sure you know, it is going to be remote controlled, not a real one. It is going to be quite small. Like 12" x 8")

Like Rik said, no PC fan is powerful enough because they are just for cooling down the system, that's why you never see a computer fly ;)

I think it may be possible considering how light balsa wood is. Think about it, if a leaf blower can elevate a 150 pnd person and a 20 pound hovercraft, l see no reason why a case fan couldn't power a 2 ounce hovercraft.

My experiment was with a thin sheet of plastic with a skirt made from inertube rubber and 2 80mm fans!!

It couldnt even lift the smallest battery pack i have!!

However, i pulled an 80mm fan apart, fixed the bladed section onto the end of a 540 motor, mounted it into the chassis of the fan!!! That did the trick!! hehe :D

I recon that idea would almost freeze a cpu:D!!!

i'd agree, with normal case fans for PCs they won't do the trick, unless you go for one of those performance ones. People prefer silent over cool these days.

Although like rik says, with a bit of tweaking they would be more than capable.

Make it easier on yourself and just purchase a proper big 150mm (or what size you need) fan from the electronics store.

Instant hovercraft experiment.. get a discarded cd, glue a fan ontop (air pushing down into the hole), over the hole and power her up :D
(possibly won't work hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back