Radeon 4800 Fan Speed is 0 at 71 degrees C

Thanks for the reply. I can manually change the fan speed. A day after my original post I decided that the video card was faulty. I won't go into the details of how I reached this conclusion. I replaced the card today with an HD 7750. The current temperature is 29 degrees C and the fan is running at about 30% speed.

Yes, I agree. My computer hard drives run at about 35 degrees C. I know that hard drives are not comparable to a video card, but 70 degrees C is mighty warm by comparison. My new card is loafing along; right now I am not giving it much to do. It appears that this card has solved the video problems that I had before.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.

Yes, I agree. My computer hard drives run at about 35 degrees C. I know that hard drives are not comparable to a video card, but 70 degrees C is mighty warm by comparison. My new card is loafing along; right now I am not giving it much to do. It appears that this card has solved the video problems that I had before.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.
Yes but, you shouldn't even try to compare apples and oranges. 70C is far from unheard of as a temp for a GPU. Particularly with an older high wattage draw card such as your former ATI 4800. However, that 70C is only going to happen in the summer, and at full blast. As long as the fan is running at 100% at those temps, you should be good to go.

If you're concerned about temps in general, you can go into BIOS and set the CPU heat alarm to go off at any temp you so choose.

I build IGP / i3 rigs in gaming cases, and the temp readings. I get are really comical. Especially in this ******* cold. HDDs @ below 20c, CPU 18 watts @ idle. I use the CPU minimum temps to figure out the room temperature. Dear God, I wish I could afford to turn the heat up....:D

To further what captaincranky has said, one of my PC's with a 4870 would idle around 75-78C with the fan at low speed. The 4000 series seems to choose higher idle temps over fan noise.

It wasn't until I got a videocard BIOS tool to adjust the fan curve myself that I was able to get my 4870 to idle under 50C, and that was by programming my own temp/fan curve and burn that new BIOS into the card (not recommended to novices).

Stock, a 4000-series will be fine, just it will run fairly hot at idle and is very lenient on bumping up the fan speed to keep things quiet. You can always override the fan speed in the CCC manually, but then that is a static fan speed that doesn't adjust based on temp (which the 4000-series will do as it gets hotter).

Overall though, a 4000-series will keep the temp under any damaging level, which is what is truly important. They just choose a higher temp to fan ratio to adjust to fan-noise complaints.

Back