Radeon 9550 graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeds1

i finally got my new card installed but i didnt disable the factory one because in bios it doesnt say in easy terms what to change.so now i can switch my monitor plugin in the new or factory card.and to be honest i cant tell much of a difference with the new card so is there something i can do to see if my card is giving me the graphics im suppose to get?

my new card is agp but factory is pci and i can plug the monitod into both and they work which has me thinking my new card might not be working right cus i cant tell a difference besides being able to adjust the radeon to higher resolution.

The first thing I would do is to go to Control Panel to System=> click on the hardware tab=> click on Device manager. (checking first to confirm there are no errors. You will see exclamation marks if you have errors with the drivers of the OS.) If there are no errors you are then free to Double click on display adapters. You will then want to right click on driver (listed at display adapters) to determine if there are conflicts. This will advise you as to which graphics card is loaded. If there are errors you will need to resolve this issue before continuing. With the information you provided that indicates you have a higher resolution than before installing the new graphics card that would lead me to believe the new card has been successfully loaded. If you believe after doing this the original graphics card is still installed you will want to go to add remove programs and search to see if the original graphics card is still installed. If this card is not installed you will want to uninstall the first graphics card program. (original card) Once the program for the original graphics card is uninstalled - you should be able then to install the new graphics card software included with the card.

i checked in device manager but everything is fine.and i have no idea how to uninstall the factory one in bios.my computer is about 4 yrs old and the options in bios are nothin like new computers.

You don't uninstall "the factory one", you enable or disable the onboard video in the bios. You may see something like FIRST VIDEO DISPLAY in the bios. You need to select AGP... It is most likely set to PCI now

it doesnt say anything about video in my bios thats why i cant disable it dont know what to change i guess i could go into bios and right some things down and post them here

Go to Control Panel to system to tab that reads hardware to device manager. There you will click on the
display adapters this will show you the driver that you will either disable to uninstall.
If you uninstall it this should give you the necessary option to install the desired driver.

it list my new card there and besides i remember bestbuy telling me the first time they would have to disable it from bios.so i wrote down some things from my bios under advanced but notbus options or device options.ok under pci devices i have parallel port 378-37f,778-77d
irq7 dma3. serial port a 3f83ff,irq4. serial port b 2f8-2ff,irq3. diskettr controller 3f0-3f5,3f7-3f7,irq6,dma2. Pci devices compaq usb controller enabled,compaqusb controller irq10,compaq usb controller irq10. compaq audio device,irq5. ati vga controller irq11. ati other displaycontroller enabled.communications device irq5. ethernet controller irq 10.

hope this lil info helps some

You are looking in the wrong place. If your motherboard has an AGP connector and onboard video, there must be a place in the bios to select either AGP or PCI as the first video device. Start from the begining of the bios. There are sub menus that you may be overlooking

ok i looked again this is what i have file-storage-security-power-advanced.ive looked in all of them so if this aint it i dont know. storage options,removable media enabled-removable media write enabled. sry for all the trouble

You are getting closer. The setting for first video device will be under Advanced. Again there are things or options listed from top to bottom. Some you can open by hilighting the line and hitting enter. Check in Advanced one more time carefully

power on options f9 disabled,f10 prompt enabled,f12 enabled,io apic mode. under device option acpi s3 support,acpi s3 video repose disabled,agp aperture size. maybe i need to enable f9 and try f12.

well i dont guess its gonna hurt anything for both videos cards to be working just as long as it dont take memory away from my new card.

when i right click on desktop go to settings it list 2 monitors,plug and play monitor on ati radeon 9550/x1050 series ans the other is defalt monitor on radeon 9559/1050 seriessecondary. do i need to disable one of these?

thanks but unless it can tell me what to display in bios than i cant cus theres nothing in my bios that says disable intergrated video or anything.

when i right click on desktop go to settings it list 2 monitors,plug and play monitor on ati radeon 9550/x1050 series ans the other is defalt monitor on radeon 9559/1050 seriessecondary. do i need to disable one of these?

No you don't have to do anything. Leave these alone... This is normal

Read the manual re: jumper setting on MB

thanks but unless it can tell me what to display in bios than i cant cus theres nothing in my bios that says disable intergrated video or anything.

If there is nothing in the manual that speaks of a software 'bios' setting than there must be a setting on the Motherboard that will change the way the integrated graphics performs. In my research of this issue it clearly says that if the 'bios' does not show information as to disable an integrated graphics card than the manufacture will provide jumper setting on the motherboard that one can adjust to disable to card. I would recommend the mother board manual reading I have an idea this will correct the issue.
Regards.

well i spoke to someone at bestbuy and they said that when they diabled my factory card and put the new one in that the bios settings are still the same even though i reformatted.they also said that it wouldnt hurt anything to leave it the way it is so maybe ill get another monitor and run the both so thanks alot for all your halp guys you all are really smart,peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back