RADEON 9800 SE 3D game crashing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I got a new comp around september last year and have had problems with the graphics card since i bought it. My graphics card is radeon 9800 SE AGP 256mb.

Other system information is

AMD atholon 64 processor 3400+
1024 Ram
XP home edition

This seems to happen on most games but not on all of them. At any point (some games quicker than others) my screen suddenly freezes and a couple of things sometimes happen. Firstly, the screens suddenly goes black like its turned its self off and says ''no signal imput''. Sometimes it may say, but not as often, 'out of range'. The more common thing that happens is the screen suddenly freezes and multicoloured lines run down the screen and the music of the game suddenly jams. Finally, this has become less frequent over the year, the pc goes back to the desctop and says VGA accelerator stoped responding, then it says that it has changed it to software rendering. The only way to solve all these problems is restarting your computer or doing a hard shutdown. What does confuse me though is that some games do it more than others. For example, every time i play Rollercoaster tycoon 3 i can play from around 10secs- 5 mins then suddenly, it crashes. Although when i play world of warcraft i may be able to play for 2-4 hours before it crashes. People on other forums have had the same problem, most of the time with Radeon 9800 pro, people recomended them to blow a home fan into the side of their computer. Now that worked for world of warcraft, occosionaly it may crash when it gets to a busy area but is much less frequent now.

This problem has frustrated me for quite some time now and i need some solution.

thanks

I agree with zephead. That sounds like a classic case of overheating.

How many fans do you have on your case? Do you have any empty fan mounts waiting for you to pop one in? Or maybe consider upgrading your current case fans to something a little more efficient?

I have the EXACT same problem. i have a Athlon 64 3200+ and Radeon 9800 pro.
Its really starting to make me mad. and its not overheating, because it happens even after i just turned on the computer and like 2 min into the game.

I don't think you can rule out overheating just because it happens two minutes into the game. That's about all it takes to get the heat up...

assuming you installed the latest drivers and game patches, i'd say look to heat problems or an inadequate power supply. usually lesser known cheap psus can be responsible for problems like this. what is the mfg, model, and watt rating? the r9800 gpu runs very hot and these problems are common.

Also another problem that i have is whenever i try to watch a video file with windows media player its all disclolored and pixlie. But when i play it with VLC player its fine. Not all videos do this but most of them do. Do u think this could be related?

your aspire psu (believe me that co is bad news) could easily be mucking up your graphics display.

Its not my power supply. I tried using my old one that I used to run it with, from my old computer. Still same problem. :(

Just out of interest, is your PC a HP Pavillion T770?

If it is, i've got the exact same PC as you. I upgraded my GPU to a vanilla Radeon 9600 a while ago and I have the same problems, though only after about 6 hours of constant 3D games. I don't think these PCs have very good cooling TBH. I occasionally get black screens or pixels messing up, and i think it's definately a heating problem. Perhaps you could buy a PCI fan just below the graphics card?

open the case panels and run it like that...it should let everything run nice and cool.

stev088 - so just because an older (and probably weaker) psu yielded the same problem you're going to rule out the power supply? not a wise decision. you need a name brand PSU rated for 420W or higher (480w and up reccomended). antec, thermaltake, enermax are all examples of name brand psus and can be counted on for reliability.

go on to the controll centre and go to smart gart and turn agp to 4 and turn fast write agp read and wright off#

if this does not fix your problemo turn agp of soz if it strikes a blow but i had the same problem and it has never froze since
u have to make a sacrifice to suckceed in lif
hitler lol :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back