Radeon HD 4880 crashes after switching to M2N-SLI Mobo

I'm having some serious issues with my PC; I recently switched Motherboards to an M2N-SLI board with my Radeon HD 4880 graphics card. I updated my drivers and everything, but I still get crashes whenever I start a graphics intensive game (Portal 2, even CS:S) I'm not sure what it could be. Any help available?

When you changed motherboards did you re-use the old hard drive? If so, did you reinstall Windows or perform a Windows repair? If neither, then try a repair first. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Did you install the board chipset drivers as well as graphics driver ?
What graphics card do you actually have? AMD do not make a HD 4880 -the 4800 series are 4830, 4850, 4860, 4870, 4890 and the two dual gpu cards (4850 X2 , 4870 X2)

Other possibilities are that some games are very dependant upon a viable network connection during play, so installing/updating the LAN drivers shouldn't be overlooked. It is also possible that one or more wires into the PCI-E power connector from the power supply is not seated as well as it could be- especially if the cable/PCI-E plug has had to be wrestled in/out of a graphics card power connection.
I assume that you had the same "HD 4880" and power supply in a previous setup and only the motherboard has been changed. Correct?
Was the Asus M2N-SLI board known to be working before you installed it?

My apologies, you are correct; it's a Radeon HD 4850, not 4880.
I have the latest display drivers installed; I also have all the motherboard drivers updated (chipset and ethernet), and the motherboard was working previously. I tried repairing windows and have so far still been unsuccessful. I've also double-checked all of the power supply connectors, and they are all seated properly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

My suggestion is that your PSU need an upgrade and maybe capacitors on the CPU side of the motherboard may be defective, so when the consumption grows the processor isn't properly fed.
Otherwise you could have a defective memory and that's why the system crashes at full load.

Well I shut off automatic restart on system crash and I get a driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error, and the source is from nvata.sys. I have a PSU sufficient to supply everything (600w) Does anyone know what this means?

Back