Radeon HD 7790 Review: Aiming straight for the $150 segment

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:

Please leave your feedback here.

Last edited:
LOL, Steve's joke got out of control. Anyway, the consequent responses to the joke were hillarious. Nice bm by the way.

Cons: "Some newer games won't run perfect at max settings"

You are evaluating a budget card! BUDGET. That can't be a cons.

Its the GeForce GTX 560 Titan that you want to look out for :)

Why do you say it seems far better? Seemed much the same to us.
Performance wise it's similar but it's also far cheaper than the 650 Ti in ZA so to me that is a big win unless there's a price readjustment.

Really looking forward to 8870 and 8850. Going to build my first PC around June or July and I want to know if they blow 7870 out of the water at around the same price. And, Intel Haswell!

They are just refreshes, not true successors, the 8850 will be 7870 performance and 8870 will between 7950 and 7970. Next gen stuff isn't coming till next year.

I know the 22nm process will take some time from now till Q4 to mature, but if the 7790 (22nm) only improves performance vs the 7770 (32nm) by 10% or so, AMD is in trouble.

Lets list it as a pro then.

Pros: "Some newer games won't run perfect at max settings"

Does that look better?
No smart guy, I'm saying you have to judge that for what it is.
If not then you have to make that CONS in all the budget graphic cards reviewed it will be almost a default. Do you know any budget card that can run all newer games on max settings?

No smart guy, it's listed as a con because that is how it stacks up to faster cards. Sure it is a budget review, but it is still compared to higher end cards with a final conclusion.

So lets make this CONS: "is not as fast as high end cards" and for high end cards "is not as cheap as budget cards"

So lets make this CONS: "is not as fast as high end cards" and for high end cards "is not as cheap as budget cards"

Polaco see now you are starting to get it, that’s pretty much what we are always asking for. It’s called value.

If not then you have to make that CONS in all the budget graphic cards reviewed it will be almost a default. Do you know any budget card that can run all newer games on max settings?

Is it wrong to dream of graphics cards like the GeForce GTX 460? A graphics card that comes along and stirs things up. The Radeon HD 7790 was not that graphics card, who wants a filler after 15 months?

I know the 22nm process will take some time from now till Q4 to mature, but if the 7790 (22nm) only improves performance vs the 7770 (32nm) by 10% or so, AMD is in trouble.
Both Southern Islands (HD 7770) and Sea Islands (HD 7790) are using TSMC's 28nm HKMG HPL process. GPUs don't use 22nm (you might be thinking of Intel's CPU line). The next GPU node is 20nm, scheduled for bulk production in approximately a year from now.

Both Southern Islands (HD 7770) and Sea Islands (HD 7790) are using TSMC's 28nm HKMG HPL process. GPUs don't use 22nm (you might be thinking of Intel's CPU line). The next GPU node is 20nm, scheduled for bulk production in approximately a year from now.
I meant 20nm sorry, isnt the 7790 built on 20nm, I guess the source I looked at was wrong.

Back