Radeon RX 5600 XT vs. GeForce GTX 1060 6GB vs. GTX 1070: 32 Game Benchmark

Julio Franco

Staff member
Leads me to think GTX1070 was another pretty decent buy if you picked one up three and a half years ago near launch. I had one and they also overclocked very well.

As for the 5600XT, the 6GB memory pool does not leave me optimistic for a longer term future of the card at anything more than 1080p. That RDR2 result is real ugly and the shape of things to come very soon. Considering the RX580 and 590 had 8GB even if they may not be able to use it all often, years later for these much faster midrange cards to have only 6GB is not positive.

The GTX1060 is now old so gets a pass only having 6GB, even the RTX2060 is over a year old but my preference would still be find the extra $30 and get the 5700 8GB on sale. Don't buy the higher end 5600XT cards like the one tested. Buy a twin fan AIB 5700 for virtually the same money.

I suspect it'll prove to be much more capable than the cost disparity belies if you test again on games in 2 years time.

Last edited:
I found what AMD report as power usage is 15% higher than what Nvidia report.
Just throwing that out there.

The RTX 2060 and 2060 Super are just bare minimum.

The 1060, 1070 and 1080 are great for laptops where ray tracing is irrelevant, but on a desktop you'll want no less than a 2070 Super.

The only clear choice which will leave no buyer's remorse are the 2080 Super and 2080Ti - which currently has no competition whatsoever.

The 1060, 1070 and 1080 are great for laptops where ray tracing is irrelevant, but on a desktop you'll want no less than a 2070 Super.

The only clear choice which will leave no buyer's remorse are the 2080 Super and 2080Ti - which currently has no competition whatsoever.

I just don't follow your line of thought. A lot of us see ray tracing as nothing more than a boring gimmick, and frankly, that's besides the point because the RTX 2080 Super and Ti cards cost as much as the entire computer cost for most gamers. Just look at the Steam hardware survey and you'll see what the standard of hardware is really like for the average gamer.

On a side note, I was performing repairs to a friend's computer equipped with an i7 7700K, 16GB of DDR4, and an EVGA GTX 1060 SC, and had no qualms with its performance in regards to its original cost. Obviously I loaded up some games, and while 1440p at ultra was out of the question for some games, turning down even a couple of settings resulted in an enjoyable and smooth gaming experience.

I just don't follow your line of thought.

Simple ... AMD doesn't have a high end competitor to completely devalue the competition in that area, so he cherry picked those two cards to have the ability to claim that that they are the "best picks".

I guess from that we can conclude what he is saying is that wherever AMD has a competing segment, it offers the best value.

That is assuming your PC expenses don't compete with anything else.
Note: this is under the assumption of a reasonably balanced build.

Leads me to think GTX1070 was another pretty decent buy if you picked one up three and a half years ago near launch. I had one and they also overclocked very well.

As for the 5600XT, the 6GB memory pool does not leave me optimistic for a longer term future of the card at anything more than 1080p. That RDR2 result is real ugly and the shape of things to come very soon. Considering the RX580 and 590 had 8GB even if they may not be able to use it all often, years later for these much faster midrange cards to have only 6GB is not positive.

The GTX1060 is now old so gets a pass only having 6GB, even the RTX2060 is over a year old but my preference would still be find the extra $30 and get the 5700 8GB on sale. Don't buy the higher end 5600XT cards like the one tested. Buy a twin fan AIB 5700 for virtually the same money.

I suspect it'll prove to be much more capable than the cost disparity belies if you test again on games in 2 years time.

100% agree, that 6GB buffer is a joke

It's ~370 euros (124500 HUF) not 270ish dollars here in Hungary, Europe. So please, more bias TechSpot, more! So upgrading from something that used costs ~140eur (MSI Gaming 1060 6gb) for over twice the price, well, there is 1070Ti under warranty for ~240 eur.

Oh PS. 2060 is also ~370 eur here. So 5600XT is DOA here.

Last card I purchased was a RADEON RX 590 RED DRAGON 8192MB for £150 on sale for my VR Oculas setup.
These cards just dont offer enough value for the price point.

The $200-300 midrange has been totally stagnant for the last 3 years. Yes these are faster by 50% than the RX580, but they also cost 50% more, so in reality there's been 0 improvement from a value point of view.

We used to have big leaps in performance at dedicated price points, unfortunately that seems to be happening at a glacial pace now.

It's ~370 euros (124500 HUF) not 270ish dollars here in Hungary, Europe. So please, more bias TechSpot, more! So upgrading from something that used costs ~140eur (MSI Gaming 1060 6gb) for over twice the price, well, there is 1070Ti under warranty for ~240 eur.

Oh PS. 2060 is also ~370 eur here. So 5600XT is DOA here.
Starting at 290ish in Germany and that gets you a Sapphire or Powercolor.
Checking the same store (Mindfactory) the cheapest 2060 is 20 EUR more.

Note: European prices include vat (as opposed to US prices)

None of these cards should be $300, neither should EVGA's 2060 KO. The lot in the middle of performance are worth ~$200, not $250.
A 4gb card that can run some games @60fps should cost $50 - $100, maybe up to $120 for one with "special" features. Inflated prices have been embedded for too long.

The reality is 4k will not make a game look more realistic and neither will rtx. If you use a photogrametry software and scan even a simple environment the amount of polygons you need to be close to reality is far from what we use now in a game. A 2080 might do 1 room and 1 player but ad anything else at that level and it's done its going to take 10-15y if we don't lose time with more pixels.
If we jump to 4k and then8k it will take 50y

Yeah but first the price of a 2080 must be mocked. Just like the price of someones sofa. Oh wait, no gamers would ever mock a sofas exorbitant gouging price-fixing inflationary cost.
This must be how it felt when internet options were dial-up, faster dial-up, and DSL.

Yeah, anyone looking to buy Navi had better check this vid by AdoredTV

This guy is a huge AMD fan and his channel are filled with AMD fans. If you look at the comments below no one is calling him shill, everyone just sharing their own problem with AMD GPU.
Buying cheap stuff that's not working right is not saving you any money, it's you wasting time any money. I bet most reviewers are playing games on their 2080 Ti rig while recommending 5700XT because it's better "bang for buck" than a 2070 Super.

Last edited:
Yeah, anyone looking to buy Navi had better check this vid by AdoredTV

This guy is a huge AMD fan and his channel are filled with AMD fans. If you look at the comments below no one is calling him shill, everyone just sharing their own problem with AMD GPU.
Buying cheap stuff that's not working right is not saving you any money, it's you wasting time any money. I bet most reviewers are playing games on their 2080 Ti rig while recommending 5700XT because it's better "bang for buck" than a 2070 Super.
p.s. I only watched 3 min of the vid so far, he's using a vega 64..... It looks like he doesn't even know enough to disable hardware acceleration as per driver notes for last like 4 months? This vid is painful to watch trying to get through it. Ok I'm 9 min in, he's showing forum posts from like 2017. Gonna fast forward see if he ever says anything useful.

I followed some simple steps offered to me on another forum, I deleted everything in my AMD\CNext besides aticlxx. Used task manager end process to close down anything that got in the way. Removing Radeon settings(formerly know as Wattman). managed to do more OCing in 3 hours then I had in days fighting wattman. Warning I have no idea if this will screw up your comp.

Most people really don't use the UI, they just want to game. You can use reshade in place of radeon settings image sharp. They should scrap Radeon settings. Maybe give us a simple image sharpening toggle, anti lag toggle, radeon boost toggle. No overlay, all that other buggy nonsense. There are plenty of free programs to stream, share blablah with.

Driver notes have shown overlay issues, relive issues, hardware accel issues, stuttering, monitor hz bugs. Profiles that load on top of eachother. Settings that get stuck even with a driver reinstall. All for what to push a UI that is dragging down their rep?

I'm not any kind of expert, this is just some guess from how my 5700 non xt seems to behave. Fighting with driver for the last 5 months.

p.s.s. If I had a second computer next to I'd do a clean windows install no optional updates. Install with optional updates. Install radeon drivers with and with settings deleted as shown above. To see what happens. Someone needs to give us a clear workaround. I know someone knows lol

Last edited:
p.s. I only watched 3 min of the vid so far, he's using a vega 64..... It looks like he doesn't even know enough to disable hardware acceleration as per driver notes for last like 4 months? This vid is painful to watch trying to get through it. Ok I'm 9 min in, he's showing forum posts from like 2017. Gonna fast forward see if he ever says anything useful.

I followed some simple steps offered to me on another forum, I deleted everything in my AMD\CNext besides aticlxx. Used task manager end process to close down anything that got in the way. Removing Radeon settings(formerly know as Wattman). managed to do more OCing in 3 hours then I had in days fighting wattman. Warning I have no idea if this will screw up your comp.

Most people really don't use the UI, they just want to game. Image sharpening is nice and simple. You can use reshade in place of radeon settings. They should scrap Radeon settings. Maybe give us a simple image sharpening toggle, anti lag toggle, radeon boost toggle. No overlay, all that other buggy nonsense. There are plenty of free programs to stream, share blablah with.

Driver notes have shown overlay issues, relive issues, hardware accel issues, stuttering, monitor hz bugs. Profiles that load on top of eachother. Settings that get stuck even with a driver reinstall. All for what to push a UI that is dragging down their rep?

I'm not any kind of expert, this is just some guess from how my 5700 non xt seems to behave. Fighting with driver for the last 5 months.

p.s.s. If I had a second computer next to I'd do a clean windows install no optional updates. Install with optional updates. Install radeon drivers with and with settings deleted as shown above. To see what happens. Someone needs to give us a clear workaround. I know someone knows lol

Well this AdoredTV guy is an expert in investigating stuff and even he has no clue how to fix Wattman (Which he needs to fix his Vega 64 and Radeon VII crashing at idle LOL).

Then we have GamersNexus complaining about his Powercolor 5600XT Red Dragon sample shipped with a hardware-killing bios (fans not kicking in until 100C, same with Jaytwocents).

And here in Techspot we have Steve manual OC his 5600XT Gaming X VRAM to imitate the OC bios clocks, sure that it gonna add plenty to the instability that people are having ;).

Over at Reddit this topic is lit with people returning their 5700XTs due to drivers, I wonder if Steve actually play games on 5700XT before he made so many 5700XT reviews.

AMD Reddit Thread

Last edited:
I just don't follow your line of thought. A lot of us see ray tracing as nothing more than a boring gimmick, and frankly, that's besides the point because the RTX 2080 Super and Ti cards cost as much as the entire computer cost for most gamers. Just look at the Steam hardware survey and you'll see what the standard of hardware is really like for the average gamer.

On a side note, I was performing repairs to a friend's computer equipped with an i7 7700K, 16GB of DDR4, and an EVGA GTX 1060 SC, and had no qualms with its performance in regards to its original cost. Obviously I loaded up some games, and while 1440p at ultra was out of the question for some games, turning down even a couple of settings resulted in an enjoyable and smooth gaming experience.
I agree with the rest of your comment but RT is definitely not a gimmick. That's the holy graal of computer graphics. It's not yet in many games, still maybe too expensive, although DLSS nowadays does great at getting back the fps you lose with RTX on.

But no, RT isn't a gimmick, it's THE way to do realistic graphics and there is a reason why basically all the CG renderings in movies are done with RayTracing. There is also a reason why both next gen consoles will have RT. Because it is not a gimmick. People who kept bashing RT until now will understand how they were wrong in the next few years.

Bare minimum for someone with no life whatsoever maybe. At 1080p (and 1440p for that matter) only a true bonehead (or basement-dwelling super-nerd) gets a 2080ti (and/or 9900k). I have other things to spend my money on that get me out in the sunshine...

As for this article, I appreciate the comparisons as I have a 1070 and would like to upgrade this Black Friday to either a 2060 Super or 5700XT, but I don't appreciate how the reviewers never comment on the AMD drivers' current stability/issues. Almost every review on Amazon/Newegg talks about the drivers, and this is what's holding me back from buying an AMD card. I've owned 3 Nvidia cards in a row now and have never had a single issue with heat/drivers. I want that kind of issue-free performance from AMD.

Bare minimum for someone with no life whatsoever maybe. At 1080p (and 1440p for that matter) only a true bonehead (or basement-dwelling super-nerd) gets a 2080ti (and/or 9900k). I have other things to spend my money on that get me out in the sunshine...

#1 I had no idea that "buying a video card was the equivalent of having "no life". So I guess people can't play video games?

#2 People who buy 2080Ti's demand theabsolute best they can get for their money and don't like wasting time fantasizing about tech comparisons as to what they COULD HAVE or SHOULD HAVE purchased.

Attachments

• 2080ti resized (3).jpg
    2080ti resized (3).jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 3
Back