Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060: Which Was the Better Investment?

candle_86

TS Addict
Really nothing more to add except that it seems AMD builds their platforms for sustainability making them age pretty well. This is something I personally like really well rather than a „throw away“ mentality.
Gotta admit I agree, the fact an r9 390 is still relevant for 1080p but based on a 7 year old gpu says alot about amd, though it would be nice if this performance existed out the gate. I remember looking at r9 290 reviews and it lost to the GTX 780, now it smokes it and competes with a GTX 970/1060 3gb or rx570 4gb
 

candle_86

TS Addict
Steve's benches opened my eyes regarding how these two companies care for their older products.
I own 1080ti and honestly I feel betrayed. Surely it is still a strong card, but what will happen to it even with next gen nvidia cards? Will there be optimizations for 10xx? I am not sure.
And unfortunately, many people buying from green only are not aware how much nvidia cares about their older products.
Nvidia has a better driver team, they get the card out the door with 95% of it's performance and get the last 5% within 6 months, amd releases with about 80% of the cards performance, and gets the other 20% with updates over 2-3 years. Been this way since the HD7970.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Beerfloat

syerra75

TS Rookie
I had a 960 gtx 2GB (shoulda sprung for a 4GB) but I had it schtole and so replaced said card with an MSI 580 RX 8GB. I gotta say though the performance gains were marvelous. Also stuttering disappeared (probs RAM). Paired it with a 75Hz 1080p 1ms input lag monitor and the difference is night & day. Even makes my Xbox One X look lame in comparison.

PC Master Race indeed 🤑
 
Nvidia has a better driver team, they get the card out the door with 95% of it's performance and get the last 5% within 6 months, amd releases with about 80% of the cards performance, and gets the other 20% with updates over 2-3 years. Been this way since the HD7970.
Definitely don‘t disagree wrt the driver team, but I think a big part of the reason was a forward looking feature support, particularly DX12 and asynch compute.

When the GPU were new, this was not an advantage as close to no games supported this but now it pays off.

If you look at the results, RX 580 is still behind in older game engines, but in new ones it shines.

Interestingly, it seems that nVidia is now leading with newer features, so we‘ll have to see how that turns out in the future.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tlh97

Lounds

TS Maniac
Steve's benches opened my eyes regarding how these two companies care for their older products.
I own 1080ti and honestly I feel betrayed. Surely it is still a strong card, but what will happen to it even with next gen nvidia cards? Will there be optimizations for 10xx? I am not sure.
And unfortunately, many people buying from green only are not aware how much nvidia cares about their older products.
This is so true for Nvidia they stop caring about their old products. The 600 series became redunant very quickly people who bought the GTX 680 got a raw deal compared to gamers who bought the 7970.
 
(sigh) Early 2019 I bought 2 cases (24) of Sapphire Pulse RX 580s for $1900. I gave 1 to my daughter and 1 to my brother. The rest I put up for sale for $175 (They were $209 on Newegg) and every one of them was gone in 16 days. I should have taken that as a sign.

I wish I bought much more.
 

H0tBBQ

TS Rookie
Would the result be different with Medium/High settings ? Because not a lot of people play in Ultra... Even less with entry level cards.

Peace for now.