Radeon VII & GeForce RTX 2080 using Ryzen 7 2700X & Core i7-8700K

Nice data sets, this is the kind of system I would be building for 1440p gaming. The 8700K still edges it but not by a lot. The concern for many gamers would be results like Resident Evil and Hitman 2 which is obviously a little off trend, but would be enough for me to stick with Intel when buying a gaming CPU.

If Zen 2 can change these results in the next few months it might be interesting to revisit these tests.

I would still be hard pressed to purchase a Radeon 7 for gaming on the basis of these tests. The all AMD system puts up a decent fight against the traditional Intel and Nvidia gaming combo which is certainly more than could be said for most of the past 10 years. It's easily viable for high end gaming

A good showing for the 2700X, its not far behind in the games listed besides 2-3 of them.
That being said the 8700K is faster by several FPS in just about every title, and most are going to run the 8700K at 5.0GHz or higher, and that 300MHz will add to the difference further.
The 8700K is still king, even over the 9700K for gaming, but hard to argue bang for the buck on the 2700X.
Still if building a gaming rig the 8700 and 8700K with a 6/12 are the way to go IMO.

I might have missed it but:
What power plan were you running?
Did you have Radeon Settings set to Use Application Settings?(I did read you didn't use any enhancements but didnt know if this was in reference to this feature.)
In testing Battlefield V of the following, what did you use?
future frame rendering, Direct X 11, Direct X 12

Reason why Im asking is because I have a 2700X, Radeon VII and seem to be getting slightly lower average framerates. I'm trying to get the most out of my hardware thank you!

Did you have Radeon Settings set to Use Application Settings?(I did read you didn't use any enhancements but didnt know if this was in reference to this feature.)

Reason why Im asking is because I have a 2700X, Radeon VII and seem to be getting slightly lower average framerates. I'm trying to get the most out of my hardware thank you!

Over clock both the CPU and GPU and you will get more FPS than they did. Also you'd have to run the same benchmark run they do.

A good showing for the 2700X, its not far behind in the games listed besides 2-3 of them.
That being said the 8700K is faster by several FPS in just about every title, and most are going to run the 8700K at 5.0GHz or higher, and that 300MHz will add to the difference further.
The 8700K is still king, even over the 9700K for gaming, but hard to argue bang for the buck on the 2700X.
Still if building a gaming rig the 8700 and 8700K with a 6/12 are the way to go IMO.

I bought a 8700k and feel like I will never buy the 9700k because of VMs, and 9900k yeah... I like my electricity bill low and my room cool.

Hello! Does Precision Boost 2 is activated during these tests? I'm intrigued on the minimum 1% measured on the APEX Legends test since I have a Ryzen 7 2700X and RTX2080 as well. During fights with effects going all around the place, my minimum FPS is more like 60 to 70.

What motherboard do you have? It might be the limiting factor for XFR2.0.

I am wondering about what RAM is in that Ryzen system, is it 3200 and running at 3200, or is it some pathetic 2400 memory that cripples performance on Ryzen?

"..The 8700K is still king, even over the 9700K for gaming..."

I wouldn't go quite that far. There are a number of tech websites out there showing head-to-head comparisons of those two procs on various games, and the 9700k outdoes the 8700k in every game, albeit not by a whole lot.

If you want to save 50 bucks and still have a quality gaming experience, 8700k is the way to go. But if you want a few more frame rates, then the 9700k is it.

I'm really wondering what frequency was the 8700k running at. Was it stock or OC'd to something like 4.8 GHz?
I know it's not meant to be a CPU test, but I've been wondering if I should go for a 2700x or pay (noticeably) more for an intel CPU. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor with a GTX 1080 ti so I really wanna push those frames, but it's really hard to find tests that push the 2700x to the max, using 3200+ CL14 memory (which I also have).

This particular test would convince me to go for the much cheaper AMD platform since the margins aren't that big in most games, but if the 8700k is running stock, probably there would be a much more noticable difference if it was OC'd.

Considering that the 2700x it's currently $100 cheaper than the i7 8700k, the small frame rate difference does not justify the difference in value between. Unless you're an elitist and don't care about the money, the 2700x it's definitely the best bang for your buck and even better if you're also doing productivity work. It's good to see this fierce competition coming from Amd, in the end we the consumer win. Hopefully this continue and more companies keep optimizing their software for the AMD platform.

I'm really wondering what frequency was the 8700k running at. Was it stock or OC'd to something like 4.8 GHz?
I know it's not meant to be a CPU test, but I've been wondering if I should go for a 2700x or pay (noticeably) more for an intel CPU. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor with a GTX 1080 ti so I really wanna push those frames, but it's really hard to find tests that push the 2700x to the max, using 3200+ CL14 memory (which I also have).

This particular test would convince me to go for the much cheaper AMD platform since the margins aren't that big in most games, but if the 8700k is running stock, probably there would be a much more noticable difference if it was OC'd.

If the extra framerates justify the current extra $100+ price difference then go for it. The 2700x has a very decent performance regardless of its lower IPC when compared to the i7 8700k and its multi-threaded performance it's great. If you're still in the face and don't mind waiting, the Ryzen 2 (3000) CPUs are right around the corner.

What motherboard do you have? It might be the limiting factor for XFR2.0.

gigabyte auros m is my mobo

I am wondering about what RAM is in that Ryzen system, is it 3200 and running at 3200, or is it some pathetic 2400 memory that cripples performance on Ryzen?
my system has 2x8gb 3200 corsair vengeance

Why do you keep only testing these cards at 1440p when they are clearly meant to also be played at 4k?
Because they're testing the CPUs and not the GPU's. Games become less CPU bound at higher resolutions. That being said, they should've also tested 1080p and DX12 since it's seems they ignored DX12 everywhere they could.

Why do you keep only testing these cards at 1440p when they are clearly meant to also be played at 4k?
Because you'd probably have little to no difference in all the graphs as 4k would most likely limit the fps output of all test configurations to the same lower fps having no way to see if either system was capable of higher performance. Plus latest AAA titles are most likely not going to be playable at a consistent frame rate at 4k even with the latest and greatest hardware. 1440p is pretty much a sweet spot.

I wondered the same thing, but a quick Ctrl+F search for "memory" solved that (3200 MT/s CL14).

I bought a 8700k and feel like I will never buy the 9700k because of VMs, and 9900k yeah... I like my electricity bill low and my room cool.

The 8700K and 9700K have the same TDP. Your electricity bill and room temperature won't be different with either processor.

Its pretty obvious that if they didn't run it at 3200 they would have said so. Stop being an AMD fanboy and accept the results. ;)

Considering that the 2700x it's currently $100 cheaper than the i7 8700k, the small frame rate difference does not justify the difference in value between. Unless you're an elitist and don't care about the money, the 2700x it's definitely the best bang for your buck and even better if you're also doing productivity work. It's good to see this fierce competition coming from Amd, in the end we the consumer win. Hopefully this continue and more companies keep optimizing their software for the AMD platform.

Depending on where you shop the price difference is only $50 between the 2700X and 8700K. Anyone that lives within driving distance of a Microcenter store will have a much smaller price difference.

The issue with going for a slower CPU with more threads is hoping and wishing game developers actually take advantage of more threads in games in the near future. Its been 2 years since the release of the R7 1800X and still most games perform better with a faster clock speed CPU with less threads than a slower clock speed CPU with more threads. Its the same with Adobe Photoshop and Premiere. In many cases a faster CPU with less threads performs equally well or better than a slower CPU with elss threads.

The info about World of Tanks is incorrect. The article stated, "The game has been upgraded recently to take advantage of multi-core processors and was designed with Ryzen in mind, so this is a very promising result for AMD users."

The game was upgraded to take advantage of multi core processors in 2016 with patch 9.14. Patch 9.15 expanded the ability of the game engine to use more threads on a multi core processor. The most recent patch, 1.4, makes the graphics engine multi threaded instead of single threaded.

Also the latest patch was not designed with Ryzen in mind. It was developed with the help of Intel and works with any multi core/multi threaded CPU. It was not developed with any special consideration for AMD Ryzen processors.

That's the information I received form people at Wargaming in Austin and Minsk.

Back