RAID 0 partitioning - should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 SATA 320GB in a HW RAID 0.
Results in 596GB usable.
No other internal HD present. Have external backup drive.

1. What would be the optimal stripe and cluster sizes? I know there's debate on this and I have read a lot of it, just wanted some additional feedback on these specs.

2. Also, is there any point to making a 32GB or 64GB C: partition for the OS (Win XP) with the remaining as D: for storage? Or, does this negate the speed advantage of RAID 0? Should I just make it one 596MB C: drive for everything?

3. Finally, should I put a pagefile on both partitions (if partitioning like the above scenario)?

p.s. I don't want to not RAID and have 2 physical drives of 320GB. I may add a small(er) 10K rpm HD later just for OS, but that's another day. For now I definitely want the RAID 0.

Thanks!

I believe it was 128 kb for performance use. I opted not to partition because (like you) I have an external for back up and don't care if I have to reinstall (assuming partitions are only good for recovery options). Though I don't think a partition would hamper performance that much and if it is only games you are worried about all of those files will be on the system's partition anyways.

The optimal stripe size depends heavily on your exact filesystem, files you work on, your workload and the specific benchmark program :)

As a rule of thumb, for single-tasking smaller is better.

From partitioning point of view a RAID array is just like a single disk.
So when considering your partitions, just forget that you have RAID and think of it as one big disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back