RAM compatibility - Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

Another dim question:

Bro is asking for RAM for his Apple Mac desktop. Apparently it takes PC100 SDRAM.

I have a handful of PC100 and PC133 RAM for pc, is this compatible with Apple Macs, or do I have to go down the (seemingly) expensive route of buying Apple RAM? (Not being a cheapskate sister, am simply genuinely broke!)

Cheers!

Hi josbd,

I'm pretty convinced that there's no such thing as Mac RAM or PC RAM. However, I do not suggest that you simply assume that any PC RAM will just plug and play into a Mac.

If you check out the link below (which I researched for you), you'll see that it mentions a PC100 SDRAM that is 'MAC and PC Compatible.'

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50111071&pfp=BROWSE

The best bet for you and your bro I guess is to try out the current RAM you have first. If it works, great. If not, I strongly suggest you go out and get a proper RAM stick for that Mac. Find a Mac-friendly vendor, or you could even order it online off a website.

The other thing is to take note of your Mac. Is it an old machine or a newer one like the Mac Mini? Chances are, a newer machine will be able to take PC RAM more easily? Just a gut feel.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

:)

Great stuff Gary! Thanks for that!

It is a G3 Mac. I am pretty certain it will be happy with the pc stuff, and it seems as tho Apple just want to make more money out of people by charging them more simply because it has "Apple" stamped on it.

I shall do as you suggest, and once again, many thanks!

:D

You are not going to want to mix Apple's RAM and the PC RAM you buy for it, chances are high that they are not going to play nice together. So I'd recommend buying whatever quantity he wants to upgrade to, and removing the existing RAM.

Well I have just found 512Mb of Apple RAM (brand new) on ebay uk for £50, which I thought was reasonable, and was thinking that perhaps I just ought to get that for him. Safer that way.

Thanks mate!

Travel to Crucial's site and enter his machine specs and the online diagnostics will tell you exactly which types will work.

patio. :cool:

the major issue is just to match the clock speed of the new to the existing
and the memory type (EDO, SDRAM).
(You can add PC133 to a PC100 system, BUT NEVER the reverse.)

Most modern Macs use non-parity, SDRAM.

Use any vendor of your choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back