Ram Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
having problems with my RAM i just bought a new 1gb stick to upgrade my system to 2gb... well when i put the new stick in the system doesn't start up so i took both out and put the new stick in by itself and it works... did the same thing with the old one and it worked.. but as long as they are in together it doesn't work...

the old memory is DDR2 PC2-4200
the new memory is DDR2 PC2-5300 (couldn't find another 4200 at bestbuy)

i've looked in the bios for some way to check the ram frequency because i know they are supposed to operate at the same freq. or they won't work... but there is no option in the bios to change that... so i'm at a loss of what to do to make this memery work.. here are the specs of my system from Belarc Advisor

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

COMPAL HEL80C
System Serial Number: 2069290402335
Enclosure Type: Notebook

1.73 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: COMPAL HEL8X
BIOS: COMPAL 116B 01/23/2007

1022 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'M1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'M2' is Empty

Did you try them in both combinations? Sometimes it works only in a certain order of sticks.

Do you have any options in BIOS about memory timings? More memory modules mean more latency and you may have to increase the timings.

A BIOS update may be something to check out.

i have tried them in combinatinos and sometimes it works then when i shut the computer down i have to open it back up and change them around several times before it works again.... and yes i've looked in the bios and i couldn't find anything to adjust the RAM timing or anything and i can't seem to find a bios update for this motherboard...

ok so i've searched every where for a bios update for a COMPAL motherboard and i can't find it anywhere... the only thing i can come up with is that pheonix itself (which is the bios spalsh screen that pops up on startup) is its own brand and has its own sight to download bios but i don't know what version i have or what i should update it too to try to get this memeory problem solved... any help would be greatly appreciated...

You should never ever mix ram speeds unless you like having problems with your pc. Run it with just your new ram and save up for a second stick if you really need to have 2 gig.

yea i thought that would be the problem but no one carries 4200 around where i live its a very small town and i'm tryin to get the laptop working for a family member so i can't just order it and wait for it to get here because i'll be gone before then but looks about like my only option... thanks for the help guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back