RAM Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could upgrade my Dell Computer with more RAM. Do i need a specific type of RAM for Dell computers? Does Dell not allow this? I was looking at some Dual Channel Corsair that was tested on a Nforce2-based dual-channel motherboard.

you have to look at the specific motherboard requirements.
If you have a new dell, you will void your warranty if you open it yourself. If your warranty has expired, you can put it in yourself. Installing ram is very easy, but you have to match the type required for your specific system.

Go to the dell website, look up your model.

OR (even better) go to a memory manfactuer website like crucuial, kingston, corsair, and download their online programs to scan your computer. (They may ask you to input the make and model.) The crucial site has a scanner program. Unfortunately you have to use internet explorer.

It is imperitive that you use the correct memory type for your system. Windows XP is a memory hog and uses about 200MB just for itself. The minimum memory for most computers today that is acceptable is 512MB. I recommend more. I have 1 1/2 gigs of memory in my system.

Memory is about one of the most cost effective ways to speed up your system. Always double or triple what you think you'll need. Always use matched memory (that is the same make and model for each type in your system.) If you don't, you can run into problems. example: all corsair, all kingston, or all crucial.

Stick with a tier 1 type memory (like the brands I mentioned.) Using a generic type and you may run into problems as their bandwidths tend to be inferior. (You get what you pay for.)

Most motherboards have a tech book (RTFM.) - it will tell you what brands are compatible with your CPU. Otherwise get the info from Dell.

Download CPU-Z off fileplanet or some other site, it tells you every thing except Graphics card, including motherboards. Google the name to find out what it can take.

P.S To find out your graphics card, right click on your desktop, propeties, settings. that'l tell you

Hmmmm

Tedster said:
Most motherboards have a tech book (RTFM.) - it will tell you what brands are compatible with your CPU. Otherwise get the info from Dell.

If he got the PC from Dell, it is very unlikely that he has a Motherboard Manual. I would like to renforce the suggestion of tier 1 RAM. People often opt out for cheap sutff, and end up having to replcae it a few months later.

Sean

BTW-If the computer is new, there might be a motherboard manual on the comptuer itself in a pdf file (under accsessories in the start menu). I know i have seen that on a compaqs and sonys.

Hmm.

The link works fine for me....when you say doesnt work...do you mean no window? or like a 404?

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back