Rambo: The Video Game gameplay trailer is so bad it's good

Russ Boswell

Every once in a while a game comes along that's so bad it instantly becomes a cult classic. Rambo: The Video Game, could easily be 2014's title to beat in that department. A new gameplay teaser trailer is giving us a glimpse at what to expect from the upcoming Reef Entertainment release. The finished product is a grandiose combination of strikingly bad quick-time events (QTE) and on-the-rails first person arcade action.

The video begins with Rambo moving stealthily through the shadows, avoiding spotlights and taking out enemies silently with his iconic bow. He even manages to hitch a ride on a passing tank to proceed further into the enemy encampment. The QTEs feature letters like A, and W, which we are assuming stand for the WADS keyboard directional setup, hinting that this gameplay video was crafted on a PC.

The trailer is split into separate sub-sections, showcasing stealth, QTE, shootouts, destruction, vehicle-mounted guns, and boss battles. From a graphical standpoint, the game looks okay, although in some sections it appears a little retro in design. The explosions and destructions leave something to be desired, with buildings and vehicles just toppling and falling apart like Lego bricks.

This game, when compared to a lot of other upcoming titles, looks pretty bad, but in an almost comically good way. As someone who has played through their fair share of terrible but hilarious games, I am actually looking forward to renting Rambo: The Video Game and giving it a quick once over.

The game is due to release on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. If you're interested in getting more information regarding this release, you can check out the title's official website.

Permalink to story.

I will buy it just to own it when I see it brand new in the bargain bin for $5

A good laugh is worth $5

Pass, don't care how horribly funny the gameplay will be, supporting crap like this is how low standards are set and why games aren't improving. Had this been released, I don't know, 20 years ago as an arcade game, it would be more interesting.

Pass, don't care how horribly funny the gameplay will be, supporting crap like this is how low standards are set and why games aren't improving.

Today videogames, even the bad ones, are like 1000 times more complex than 20 years ago. So, even if they are crap for today AAA standards, they had improved. Just saying, some people are to hard on the little companies than doesn't have several millions to make videogames.

Pass, don't care how horribly funny the gameplay will be, supporting crap like this is how low standards are set and why games aren't improving.

Today videogames, even the bad ones, are like 1000 times more complex than 20 years ago. So, even if they are crap for today AAA standards, they had improved. Just saying, some people are to hard on the little companies than doesn't have several millions to make videogames.

There are plenty of decent indie games around that were made on a shoestring, but if you're tackling a well-known franchise like Rambo you're expected to maintain a certain standard. Unfortunately *very* few TV and movie tie-in games have pulled it off. Products like this should be discouraged at every opportunity.

Wait ... this is a joke right? This post is about a playstation one and windows 98 game right?

LOL...I'll pass.

But that did remind me of while in a theater watching Rambo III when he shot an armored Soviet Hind D helicopter out of the sky with a bow and arrow. I couldn't stand it anymore and walked out.

Talk about aim assist this is more like aimbot haha, This is one of those games where its blatantly obvious the studio doesnt make many or any games at all...

I dont get it it looks pretty awesome to me
decent graphics by the looks of it
the scenes from the movie transferred with accuracy to game form
and you get to blow **** up like god mode or is it rambo mod

only thing not showing in the video are some sylvester stallone catchphrases

There are plenty of decent indie games around that were made on a shoestring, but if you're tackling a well-known franchise like Rambo you're expected to maintain a certain standard. Unfortunately *very* few TV and movie tie-in games have pulled it off. Products like this should be discouraged at every opportunity.

But those indie games are little games, if a medium company try to make a normal size game they will not have millions and millions to risk like activision, rockstart, etc, so, they will have a hard time trying to reach the bar from the big budget games. IMO people shouldn't be so hard with the developers.

I don't know kinda looks like an interesting take for an on rail shooter since we have not seen a good one of those in awhile. Could be a fun game if it works as well as it seemed to in the trailer and has all the features they are boasting about. Would not put this as a full priced game of course (IE 60 bucks) but as like a 30 dollar game it might be worth a look.

Wow quick time events huh? I thought everyone knows by now that gamers HATE those things.

I can think of several free to play FPS games out there right now that looks way more fun than this.

What noob uses a crosshair for everything? Even the mounted guns with the sights? Really?

Back