Random reboots on 3 machines so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

directex

Hi all,

This is my first tech post here since joining today.. bit of a strange one here , I have a cluster of 36 Hp DC5800 core 2 quad machines runnning on XP pro x86

3 of them have started to randomly reboot without warning, they were not in use at the time but 3 people have witnessed this phenomenon... on checkking the event log ther is a bugcheck code if someone is knowlegable about these bugcheck codes and could offer some assistance that would be great the code is as follows....

the computer has rebooted from a bug check. The bug check was
0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf145fb4, 0xb3cd5934, 0x00000000)
A dump was saved in C:\windows\mini dump\mini.............

I have googled the bug check code but nothing found, been on several sites and nothing, some parts of the bug check code tally but not the whole code itself.

any help or advise would be greatly appreciated before I hand off this problem to HP :)

I have attached the minidump files for someone to have a look at if thats ok....

many thanks in advance..

DirectEx

Both errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and it can especially point to RAM, but sometimes it can point to a driver.

In both instances they cited dcmc0d0.dll which from what I can gather is either an Intel Graphics Accelerator driver or another graphics driver such as Nvidia. When I googled it there was a fairly broad spectrum of answers.

I am fairly sure that it has to do with your graphics.

P.S. You are allowed to Zip up to five minidump files together. ;)

thank you for the response, Route 44

Do you think a driver update may be able to solve this, it seems strange only 3 out of 36 have developed this fault at the same time....

They a running on the standard RIS build of drivers for the ards inside which are Nvidia, 8400 GS SFF with driver version 181.22 whql dx9c

I will attach further minidump files if anyone is interested from the other machines to cross reference the fault, I have alerted HP about this and they are looking into it :rolleyes:

please let me know if more minidump are required from the other machines..

all help with this is appreciated..

regards

directEx

if you suspect bad or failing ram- run memtest 86+

also do not rule out failing PSUs. Use a tester tool and multimeter.

What Tedster recommends. If it is your PSU you can get a really nice digital Craftsman multimeter for $20. A good PSU is the backbone of any system and if the output is less or more than needed it can cause real headaches.

As for graphic cards and drivers the thing is 10 people can have the same card, in the same kind of system, with the same driver set, and you can still have at least one out of those ten have an issue while the others won't experience a problem. Why? Not a clue.

If you want to run Memtest on your memory...

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* If you want go ahead and attach those minidumps from those other machines for cross-checking.

thank you route 44,

very helpful advise, will do memtest on the 3 affected 1 stick at a time, I have a mutlimeter and will check voltage output on the PSU make sure its functioning correctly without spiking sometimes these PSU's are not worth the material they are made from... but HP have been very good brand up until now, switch from DELL they got kicked into touch a while back for there shocking support line, not bought a thing from them in over a year...

will get back to you... after the weekend

Have a good weekend everyone, and thanks again...

DirectEx

Ok still have not solved this problem, it has grown to over 8 machines now out of a cluster of 36, still not known what the problem is I have attached all of the minidump files from all infected machines for cross referencing..

Hp are dragging there heels over this problem too

I have also ran memtest86+ and not found any errors

not tested the PSU's yet.

any help appreciated,

many thanks

DirectEx

I read the minidumps from the first 3 Zip files. Of the 15 you zipped one was doubled so the total minidump files read were 14.

Every one without exception were 0x8E errors and every one without exception cited the driver dcmc0d0.dll as the cause. The dumps also consistently stated that your machines were unable to load this .dll.

What has me concerned is that this issue is spreading now. Could it be an infection? Possibly and thus I would do A.S.A.P. a scanning for infections. You might want to look at the Virus and Malware forum stickies here at TechSpot.

But I also find that the same error with the same driver repeating over and over to be significant as well. Which means HP could have a very LARGE fail on their part.

I would contact them again and tell them you have the minidumps, 16 were read and all 16 have the same error 0x8E which are almost always caused by hardware and all point to the same driver.

I'd send them the minidumps as well. Put the ball in their court, so to speak.

thank you route 44

I can confirm that all machines with this fault have been scanned using McAfee 8.5 enterprise running the latest dat update. that was the first thing I tried when I heard it was spreading..

I think the route of bouncing it back to HP is the only route left... however all I am getting is voice mail for our cooperate account manager...:suspiciou:

These machines are used on a daily basis roughly by 30 or 40 students a day and there is no warning of the reboot or BSOD it just powers off and goes to the POST screen..to reboot...

i will check the forums for spy/mal/scare/ ware the machines are pretty much locked down unless your an admin, so foul play can be pretty much ruled out, but not entirely... Im begining to think that HP have shipped a dodgy batch of GF8400 GS cards..... but until they confirm that i can only guess...

thank you for your help with this....

What I have forgotten to say is that to eliminate any software problems I have re-built one of the affected machines with a clean install and time will tell if this error re-appears after that clean build. I have also updated one of the affected machines with the latest Driver for Nvidia GF 8400GS WHQL to see if the error goes away, again only time will tell, oh and the students too....

many thanks again

any other suggestions welcome

regards

DirectEx

Ok HP have now got back to me and they say its the Office 2003 & Quicktime installations that are not correctly installed and corrupted, Im afraid I dont belive them as I cannot find any entry in the app *.evt log that backs that up and they were all RIS built with the same GPO and that same GPO has been used on over 2000 machines accross my place of work, I have the guy who created the GPO checking out if indeed the GPO is corrupted and await his answer.....

I can supply the .evt & .nfo files for someone to collaborate HP's findings if anyone can, or would like too

many thanks in advance

DirectEx

Dcmc0d0.DLL most likely belongs to the Dolphin software that's installed. The problem looks to be a missing video card driver. You don't have nv_disp.dll installed.

The following thread has a similar crash caused by dcmc0d0.DLL with a similar type of software installed. Your missing file was replaced by a third party's file. Once the file was replaced with Nvidia's the crashes stopped.

Reinstalling the video card drivers (using the latest) and then reinstalling Dolphin if needed should fix the problem.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71000&highlight=jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back