Random Resets - out of RAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Just recently added a 512Mb Apacer DDR RAM chip into my computer. This chip is PC3200 by specification. My board (ASRock K7VM4) only runs at PC2100, but I discovered that DDR RAM is backward compatible (please correct me if I am wrong). When doing this, I also added a 8Gb HDD that I got off a friend.
Software wise since then, I re-formatted and used a Ghost image to get going again, however got a virus from internet use (forgot I hadnt added the firewall to the ghost image), so complete re-format and start again.
I've pulled the sides off the case because of the random resets which I assume are from heat. The mainboard has a "U-COP" system (Universal CPU Overheat Protection) or something, so I assumed that this was responsible for the resetting.
However, randomly whilst using the computer before it goes resetting itself at inconvenient times, programs crash. It appears as though they have run out of RAM or something, yet theres more in there now than there was before, and it was running OK.
So could this increase in RAM mean the processor is working more efficiently, therefore generating more heat?? And why are my programs dying while Im using them?? This is the second time I've typed this because Internet Explorer died while I was typing it the first time.

All help/hints/ideas are greatly appreciated.

-Adam

Hello and Welcome to techspot :wave: :wave:

the problem might be beacuse of the RAM go to this site and download this utility and check ur RAM

www.memtest86.com

if u dont have floppy then burn it in a CD and then run the test. :suspiciou

I ran memtest86, the RAM passed the test. I just had my first system halt since I turned off automatic restarts. I got the blue screen, and the following error message:

STOP: 0x0000001A (0x0004128B, 0x045B5201, 0x173D8886, 0xC0503000)

So, if anyone can be of help, it is really appreciated

Thanks again,
Adam

that rules out possible problematic part the next one is the most obivious is the insides of your cabinet dirty (i.e. dusty) try cleaning after gronding urself properly.
between what is ur system temperature?
next thing is to check if ur PSU is providing proper power. come back if these are not working

and one more thing did loop the memtest try running it atleast 7 times.

Got a program running in Windows that tells me the CPU is running at 64 degrees (celsius). Its pretty clean inside, chip has only been in about 2 weeks and made sure I got most of dust out before installing it.

I updated my BIOS, because I was told I should take out my PC2100 128Mb Chip, because the CAS or RAS timings are not the same or something. I would ideally like to leave it in there. Dont know if it makes a difference but the RAM is shared to onboard graphics aswell.

PSU I assume is supplying proper power, its only recently been replaced after having my last one died. Its a 400Watt Generic sort

All help appreciated
-Adam

64 degrees c is fairly high, perhaps a better CPU cooler may be in order. In the mean time, there should be something in your bios about alarm temps, see what they are set to if you have them.

Nothing in the BIOS about alarm temperatures. Since turning off the automatic restart feature, I've discovered that this STOP message seems to be the problem. I've taken out the 128Mb chip, will give that a go and see if that makes a difference

ads086 said:
Nothing in the BIOS about alarm temperatures. Since turning off the automatic restart feature, I've discovered that this STOP message seems to be the problem. I've taken out the 128Mb chip, will give that a go and see if that makes a difference

when u said that u were using PC2100 were u using someother rated RAM in the other slot?? if os then tat is the problem never uses two diffrently rated RAMS at the same time in a PC :grinthumb

you can't run pc3200 and pc2700 on the same motherboard unless the motherboard accepts pc3200. If it does, the pc3200 will drop to pc2700 speed. The problem is, a lag develops between the two and may cause lockups.

ALWAYS pair memory by brand and speed to avoid problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back