Razer CEO bashes Dell and HP, but he 'loves Apple'

Dave LeClair

Despite all the talk about the "post-PC" era, one man who’s not buying into the notion that traditional computers are moving towards their death is Min-Liang Tan, CEO of Razer. While sales are obviously on the decline, Tan feels that it's not something that has to happen, and it can be prevented with a little help from PC makers.

In an interview with The Verge, Tan said, "We don't think the PC is dying." Instead, he claims the industry is actually hurting due to PC makers dragging their feet when it comes to innovating and taking risks. He points to Razer's own Blade laptop as an example of the kind of products other companies are not making. 

razer ceo dell apple hp razer blade gaming laptop

Tan thinks that it's been too long since anyone has been passionate about the PC. "HP's doing a horrible job with it. Dell's doing a horrible job with it. They just don't want to do anything with the PC anymore." He goes on to talk about how HP tried to leave the business, and how Dell claims to be an enterprise company.

While the industry is certainly on the decline, Razer has managed to jump into the market and find a great deal of success with its Blade laptop and Edge tablet. The company isn't disclosing sales numbers, but Tan says they can’t build them fast enough to meet demand.

The company just announced a new 14-inch version of its Blade laptop last week, which should look quite familiar to anyone who has spent time with a MacBook Pro. When asked about the similarities in design, Tan responded, "I love Apple products, I think they do an incredible job in terms of industrial design."

In spite of Tan's optimism for the PC market, he readily admits that his company is not making much profit. "Our focus has always been to build great products. We don't have a great profit margin, I'll be candid about it."

Permalink to story.

Dear Razer,

Build a powerhouse! I'll buy it... but you keep building PC's that are not spec'ed to the top of their game. Build something to stop me from buying the latest Compal/Sager or ASUS/MSI gaming laptop versus your under powered Razer. I own a great deal of your peripherals because that are the best in their class. Do that same with your PC's and I will be there for you, but you aren't there yet.

Tan always claims that his company doesn't make a good profit - I call bull. Of course it makes a good profit or you would go under like so many other companies out there.

I'm pretty sure if both Dell and HP are trying to leave the market is for a reason, not just because they're lazy, well maybe a little, but it has to do with price point. The $2000 ultra gaming laptop is honestly a thing of the past, who wants to lug around a 12 pound laptop just to have to find a power plug to use it and game for that odd hour of down time. Especially when the you can just pull out your smart phone and pay some 2 dollar game that will past the time just as effectively. For a while I thought about buying an ROG or something similar, but when I started to crunch the numbers it became obvious it would be a waste of money, so for about half of what I would of spent I built an ultra portable compact PC out of a SG05 with a combination of new and spare parts. It effectively wipes the floor with "gaming laptops" and I can upgrade it as I please, which is a huge plus. And think about it this way, where do you go that doesn't have a HDTV you can connect to via HDMI or heck I also have a 19" screen I can bring around. Thus eliminating my need for a gaming laptop, any none gaming task I can accomplish using my smart phone. Razer is just lucky enough to have created a following, actually similar to the Apple fan base, who are willing to spend top dollar on their peripherals and now laptops. I guess my point is even if Dell or HP tried to get into the gaming laptop market again (they effectively killed alienware and voodoo) no one would buy them because who the hell wants a Dell or HP gaming system anymore, the idea seems dirty to be honest.

Rofl Razor is one of those companies that can be gone overnight. Razor is in business because of PC's and wants to talk crap about them. I see them going out of business quicker now that they are spending Big $$$ with laptops. What kind of hardware tech support you going to get from people that sell keyboards and mice?

Has this guy ever heard of Samsung or Asus? I would take either of those any day of the week over an overpriced piece of **** Razor Blade or Mac Book Air.

Tan should keep to making peripherals instead of trying to win this so called "dying" PC market. I dunno about you but I'm pretty sure everyone is just waiting for Hazwell to drop.

"I love Apple products, I think they do an incredible job in terms of industrial design."

Everything wrong with this thing, in one sentence. Industrial design.

Razer is doing nothing new. Just because your laptop is thin and light doesn't mean squat if it's underpowered. Combine the two and you'd be onto something, but you're not there yet.. so kindly STFU.

"I love Apple products, I think they do an incredible job in terms of industrial design."

Everything wrong with this thing, in one sentence. Industrial design.

Razer is doing nothing new. Just because your laptop is thin and light doesn't mean squat if it's underpowered. Combine the two and you'd be onto something, but you're not there yet.. so kindly STFU.

That deserves a meme. Too bad the funnier ones have explicit language ;) lol.
hey-you-shut-up.jpg

It's all what you will be using something for. It's just that it seems like a few high placed people without sufficient knowledge about devices or everything in the IT-world, rant about how this and that is better just because they bought something expensive(but don't know anything about how to use it, other then the very basics). It's almost like a disease cause even a few of the little guys, start doing the same thing thus we call it fanboism. People that were more interested in going on the internet, will certainly buy a tablet or smartphone now to check out their stats or something else they used the internet for. It doesn't mean that a desktop or a laptop isn't being used for their intended purpose. Cause they certainly can handle light to heavy workloads. I myself like computers because I like modding, working on multiple screens (future upgrade), the ease of work being processed fast, testing software, experimenting new things. I leave my messaging, videos, music and profile accounts mostly in the hands of tablets, smartphones.I'd do some research before I buy something. And I for one don't like very thin laptops, especially if the performance and cooling sucks ^^

I love Apple too. They give me hardware to compare other products to, which lets me find a nice "best bang for buck" point. *strokes his Clevo P150EM based laptop that smokes the more expensive Mac book retina in everything but screen resolution and thinness/weight*..

Back