RDNA 3 incoming: Watch AMD unveil Radeon RX 7000 graphics cards here at 1pm PT / 4pm ET

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Today is the day that AMD tries to answer Nvidia's RTX 4000 series with its own next-gen graphics cards: the RDNA 3-powered Radeon RX 7000 line. Team red is livestreaming its "Together We Advance_Gaming" event at 1pm PT / 4pm ET, and you can watch the whole thing right here (top).

AMD is expected to show off two of its new RDNA 3 graphics cards based on the Navi 31 GPU later today: the Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB & the Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB. We recently saw purported leaked images of the flagship.

AMD has confirmed that its new cards will not use the 12VHPWR connector associated with the problem of RTX 4090s melting Nvidia-supplied quad 8-pin to 16-pin power adapters.

The Radeon RX 7900 XTX is rumored to feature 12,288 stream processors and a 384-bit memory bus, along with a dozen 16 Gbit GDDR6 memory chips running at 20 Gbps for a total of 24 GB of VRAM with 960 GB/s of bandwidth. The TDP is expected to be in the 350-watt range.

As for the Navi 31 GPU found in both cards, it's said to feature a Multi-Chip-Module design with one graphics compute die and six memory dies. The Radeon RX 7900 XTX carries the full-fat GPU, while the RX 7900 XT has a cut-down version with 10,752 stream processors and a 320-bit memory bus. The latter also has ten 16 Gbit GDDR6 memory chips running at 20 Gbps for a total of 20 GB of GDDR6 VRAM and 800 GB/s bandwidth.

AMD says RDNA 3 will use TSMC's 5nm node process, support AV1 encoding, and, unlike Nvidia's RTX 4000 series, comes with DisplayPort 2.0. The company says the architecture will offer a 50% performance per watt uplift over RDNA 2 thanks to a new generation of Infinity Cache, a chiplet design inspired by the recent Ryzen CPUs, an optimized graphics pipeline, and rearchitected compute units.

One leaker claims the Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB will not be able to compete with the RTX 4090 in terms of both rasterized and ray-traced performance, but AMD is looking to offer gamers much more attractive price points. We'll find out what Dr. Lisa Su has planned in a few hours.

Permalink to story.

The annoying thing is that whatever they cost, its almost certainly going to be more than what AMD were originally going to ask.

I bet they couldn't believe their luck when they saw the 4080 pricing. It probably gave AMD at least another $100-$200 of wiggle room.

Never sold on the ray-tracing BS. Eagerly awaiting. I will get the 4090 or XTX ... whichever is better in terms of raw performance and efficiency.
Whoever is the winner, provided the winner's price is not overblown relatively.
the raytracing hardware isn't really great for games, but for 3D rendering in applications like blender it makes so much more sense.

The annoying thing is that whatever they cost, its almost certainly going to be more than what AMD were originally going to ask.

I bet they couldn't believe their luck when they saw the 4080 pricing. It probably gave AMD at least another $100-$200 of wiggle room.

If 6900 and 6950 were $1000-1100 MSRP, the XTX will be priced close to 4090. I expect nothing more from this release.

Maybe, from what I understand they are only going to announce the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT today. I hope that is wrong, I hope they at least announce the 7800 XT (or perhaps a 7900) something that is priced under $1K. Anyway, I would expect the 7900 XTX and XT to be at least $1300 and $1100 respectively just based on last gen pricing. If they came in less than that I would be very surprised. I'm just hoping they are not more than that. Of course, we don't know for sure where these things are even going to land on performance, so we'll just have to wait and see.

They offered the 6900 XT for 500 bucks less than a 3090 and the 6950XT for almost 900 less and did that mattered?

Nope, the media, sites and Tubers simply ignored it and every single damned video review is still with whatever Nvidia has at the top.

It sucks, but none of these places have our best interest at heart.

The only way that this would change is if the 7900XT is at least 50% faster than the 4090 and cost tops 700 bucks and maybe they might get a word or two in a positive note.

Now, personally, I think that none of these damned GPUs should cost more than US$850, but like I said, nobody seems to have a problem with nvidia prices, then we are really screwed because AMD would be stupid to do not sell at higher prices also.

I'm not expecting AMD to beat the RTX 4090, I just want them to release their cards so we can get better prices on existing GPUs. Current prices are still way above of what they should be and what drives me mad is that people are still buying, that is why Nvidia keeps their prices so high.

Maybe your watching the wrong channels or reading the wrong sites? In my experience AMD are frequently praised for being good value, particularly recently.

Edit: I’m responding to Neo

I just want them to release their cards so we can get better prices on existing GPUs.
"So I can then buy a cheaper nvidia card, but I never considered buying an AMD GPU".

And if thats not you plan, trust me, it is the plan for many.

As I say, no hope for AMD.

Maybe your watching the wrong channels or reading the wrong sites? In my experience AMD are frequently praised for being good value, particularly recently.

Edit: I’m responding to Neo
I dont know which sites and Tube channels you are visiting, but at least on this one, you rarely get that anymore.

Some of the examples, article reminding us that the 4080 is launching in 2 weeks, yet nothing about today's launch of the RDNA3 gpus.

Or this simple search I did the other day in YouTube, when I was testing NewPipe and mind you, I didnt use my account, so it was not tailored, since it had no history produced this gorgeous list of negative titles:

nXFpjhZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd say that depends on how aggressively AMD wants to compete with nVidia, but in general, I agree with you on this. I also think that Intel's outrageous pricing in previous CPU generations gave AMD the same kind of wiggle room with Zen. CPUs.

RDNA3 will supplant AMD as the backbone to the gaming industry...!

Their IP is what runs almost every platform.

I am hardware agnostic and my last handful of GPUs were EVGA, but since RDNA2 proper was released and AMD rewrote the driver stack... knowing the Consoles were running RDNA1.5... and other handhelds were incoming with the same RDNA architecture...!

Is all the "tell", One needs to read the tea leaves and understand what is coming for Gamers in RDNA3. 40+ patents on 5nm architecture engineered 100% for gaming (unlike nVidia) and using die space for high-bitrate gaming...

RDNA3 ftw...

Maybe, from what I understand they are only going to announce the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT today. I hope that is wrong, I hope they at least announce the 7800 XT (or perhaps a 7900) something that is priced under $1K. Anyway, I would expect the 7900 XTX and XT to be at least $1300 and $1100 respectively just based on last gen pricing. If they came in less than that I would be very surprised. I'm just hoping they are not more than that. Of course, we don't know for sure where these things are even going to land on performance, so we'll just have to wait and see.

-AMD is announcing their new RDNA-3 architecture... along with their Navi-31, Navi-32 and Navi-33 GPU dies.

-And they will introduce their Radeon RX 7000 series lineup.

Cautiously optimistic about AMD's chances here. RDNA 2 was legit, they had competitive high-end GPUs. You can't deny the RX 6900 XT was a raster monster, even if it lagged behind in RT and with no ML upscaling. The 7900 XTX is rumored to have 2.4X the cores of the 6900 XT. That's crazy, it is also rumored to run at boost clocks of over 3 Ghz and stock 350 watts. If that is true, chances are this thing will beat the 4090 in raster. The 7900 XT is 2X the cores, so it should also be a monster GPU as well and I think it even has a shot at the 4090 rather than the 4080. In fact, I think the 7800 XT will be the 4080 competitor and I think it's very possibly priced at under $800 USD. Raster is not enough though, these things got to be able to compete with RT too. We'll have to see in an hour.

They offered the 6900 XT for 500 bucks less than a 3090 and the 6950XT for almost 900 less and did that mattered?

Nope, the media, sites and Tubers simply ignored it and every single damned video review is still with whatever Nvidia has at the top.

The only way that this would change is if the 7900XT is at least 50% faster than the 4090 and cost tops 700 bucks and maybe they might get a word or two in a positive note.

Now, personally, I think that none of these damned GPUs should cost more than US$850, but like I said, nobody seems to have a problem with nvidia prices, then we are really screwed because AMD would be stupid to do not sell at higher prices also.
In reality, for the majority of its life, the 6800, 6800xt, and 6900xt couldnt be purchased. There was 0 stock, retailers were getting 15-20 nvidia cards for every AMD card, and those that did sell, they were the same price as the 3090. There was not a $700 difference.

But we dont say that part out loud, AMD does no wrong, its all mindshare and green and nebulous hate that keeps poor AMD down!

Nope, nobody even talked about it.
You're not wrong.
Nope, they never did. They're a business in a capitalist system which means they only have their own interests at heart.
I'm not even sure about that.
There's actually two ways to look at that. Sure, AMD could price their cards near nVidia but I think that to do so would be a mistake. AMD's chiplet design is extremely efficient financially which means that it's costing them far less per GPU than it's costing nVidia.

If AMD were to go back to normal and sane pricing, nVidia wouldn't sell another card this generation. The problem is that both AMD and nVidia want to liquidate their previous-gen cards before the next-gen cards come down in price.

In reality, for the majority of its life, the 6800, 6800xt, and 6900xt couldnt be purchased. There was 0 stock, retailers were getting 15-20 nvidia cards for every AMD card, and those that did sell, they were the same price as the 3090. There was not a $700 difference.

But we dont say that part out loud, AMD does no wrong, its all mindshare and green and nebulous hate that keeps poor AMD down!
I was able to get a 6900XT at MSRP on AMD site without doing too much, during the pandemic, yet I was not able to get anything from EVGA, even though I was a repeat customer, but what can I say....

If AMD were to go back to normal and sane pricing, nVidia wouldn't sell another card this generation. The problem is that both AMD and nVidia want to liquidate their previous-gen cards before the next-gen cards come down in price.
AMD is going to need a price to performance that cannot be ignored by the consumer or matched by Nvidia. RDNA3 I think really has a chance at that, but no use speculating, we'll all find out within the next hour. Another consideration though is the other costs of owning something like a 4090. If the 7900 XTX which is rumored to be only 350 Watts and not much bigger than the 6900 XT means you can upgrade without having to buy a new case and power supply, that's significant when comparing the two cards.

Last edited:
Back