RDram Upgrade to Dell 8100 won't recognize new memory in CRIMM slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to add memory to my Dell 8100 P4 1.5 XP OS. Memory loaded in Crimm slots just makes CPU beep and then not to boot. Original memory is P800-45 and new memory is P800-40 both not ECC. New memory works in Slot 1 and 2 with Crimm in 3 and 4. What is unusual about the slot arrangement is that Slot 1 and 2 are closely associated, while 3 and 4 have a bit of real estate between them. I've been to several different memory suppliers and one says my CPU has a 1G capacity while another says I have a 2G capacity--the upshot is, is the arrangement in my CPU such that I can only load slots 1 and 2? Thanks

Hi
The mem total that can be used by the system is set by the chipset of the mobo moreso than anything else, so no worries there.
Someone I know had the same prob, 45 rdram not wanting to run with 40. You have to match the mem. At least he did....

Dell Rdram Install.....(its Easy)

HELLO DELL RDRAM UPGRADER :D

TO INSTALL RDRAM ON A DELL IS EASY GUYS, JUST THINK OF YOUR SLOTS AS NUMBERS 1 2 3 4, IF YOU HAVE 2 LIKE MEMORY MODULES, SAY 256 + 256, THEY MUST BE INSTALLED ON THE SAME SIDE (3,4) OR (1,2) FOR OUR PURPOSE TODAY WE WILL CHOOSE SLOTS 1, 2 FILL BOTH OF THOSE SLOTS WITH THOSE TWO 256 MODULES, THEN IN SLOTS 3,4 PUT IN YOUR CONTINUITY MODULES.....YOUR MACHINE WIL NOW BOOT UP!

IF YOU HAVE MIXED MODULES, LETS SAY TWO 256MB AND TWO 128MB, NO PROBLEM, YOU HAVE TO DO IT LIKE THIS, THINK OF 1 2 3 and 4 AGAIN, YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE LIKE MODULES TOGETHER 128MB MODULES IN 1-2 THEN THE TWO 256MB MODULES IN 3-4, THAT WILL GIVE YOU 768 MB, DOSENT MATTER WHICH SIDE YOU USE FIRST. REMEMBER THEY MUST BE IN LIKE PAIRS. ECC NON ECC THIS DOES NOT MATTER. THAT WILL BE $100.00 PLEEEZ :unch:

Innaccurate in many cases...i have worked on many systems where the preferred setup is 1, 3, then 2, 4.
The best thing to do is check the MBoard manual to be sure and to not mix speeds.

Blakhart is right you cannot run 45ns memory with 40ns memory when it comes to RDram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back