Re: Modding Case fan openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

osudelt69

I have a fairly nice case and don't want to buy a new 1 at the moment. Its a mid-tower with 4 5 1/4" bays and probably 6 3.5" bays, so It has plenty of room.

It has 4 spots for 80mm intake fans, 1 side 80mm exhuast, and 1 rear 60mm exhaust.

Now these openings aren't the greatest especially in the front of the case. I am planning on cutting the little holes with wire cutters to open the whole openings. Think this is a good idea?

I also think I probably have too much intake coming into the case. Would a 120mm side fan really help expel a lot more heat? I was thinking I could buy 120mm fan and use my dremel tool to cut the opening for the fan. If you guys have any other advice on modding a "not so well designed case for cooling into a great one I'd love to hear about it, I tried the search but didn't really find much.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by osudelt69
Now these openings aren't the greatest especially in the front of the case. I am planning on cutting the little holes with wire cutters to open the whole openings. Think this is a good idea?
Yes, if you keep your fingers away from the fans.

Yes, my case had slots for fans as well, but they were grated...lots of little holes...I took a dremel and cut the full circles out (2 in rear, 4 in front). I recommend it completely...a lot more airflow when it's one big hole instead of 30 tiny ones....

If your fingers are an issue, just get fan grills....

:)

Go for it,,i did the same thing as schizoid77,To my RaidMax case,
My System temps dropped 6 degrees,and my CPU temp dropped as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back