Real-time ray tracing tech finally arrives with Battlefield V

Polycount

Staff

One of the main criticisms about Nvidia's latest RTX 20-series video cards has been the lack of games out there that take advantage of their main selling point: real-time ray tracing. Sure, the cards offer sizable performance improvements over Nvidia's 10-series cards, but as we've noted in our reviews, any FPS boosts you enjoy may not be worth the particularly-high price tags attached to the RTX 2070, 2080, or 2080 Ti.

Now live: TechSpot's Real-Time Ray Tracing Battlefield V Performance Test

So, that leaves Nvidia's RTX technology to do the heavy lifting as far as value is concerned, and now, it may have finally done so. Battlefield V, which boasted one of the better RTX demos at Nvidia's hardware reveal event, has been updated with ray tracing graphical options. You can judge for yourself by taking a look at the video below.

HardOCP claims that there are a few growing pains, though. While the technology looks good in action -- it's particularly noticeable in the reflections seen early on in the above clip -- the website says there's a hefty amount of input lag for some users. Fortunately, this can be fixed by turning off VSync and Future Frame Rendering in Battlefield V's video settings.

Based on the footage we've seen so far, the game appears to be running well at around 90-100 FPS. However, it should be noted that the user is playing the game at 1080p on an RTX 2080 Ti; Nvidia's flagship GPU. In our own Battlefield V benchmarks, where we ran the title on the same card without ray tracing enabled, we were able to hit an average of 182 FPS.

Naturally, there are too many factors to consider here (such as the player's full hardware configuration) to say for certain, but it does seem like RTX tech could be quite a performance hog. Something we will put to the test shortly...

With that said, only time will tell how well Nvidia's RTX tech will scale to some of the other games it's set to arrive in, such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro: Exodus.

Permalink to story.

So with RTX the 2080 TI is barely able to push 100fps at 1080p with VSYNC, I can't imagine what 2k or 4k looks like.

I am really glad I didn't jump on the RTX wagon a week ago when the card came up for sale at Best Buy.

I think I'll wait and see what AMD is bringing to the table.

How about you post the same video without ray tracing and we can see the difference to see if it's worth the $2000 CAD (with taxes) pricetag. I settled for a second hand $600 CAD card 1080 ti this year.

See what Hitman is able to achieve and then tell me RTX is worth it.
Don't get me wrong it's amazing tech but at such a cost it's not ready for prime time.
If the early adopters/beta testers want to sell an organ to buy the 2080 Ti then best of luck to them. Hopefully their sacrifices will bear sensibly priced fruits for the rest of us in years to come.

So with RTX the 2080 TI is barely able to push 100fps at 1080p with VSYNC, I can't imagine what 2k or 4k looks like.

I am really glad I didn't jump on the RTX wagon a week ago when the card came up for sale at Best Buy.

That's with RTX disabled as well so keep that in mind.

100 FPS with RTX on at 1080p is absolutely no where near as bad as the haters claim. Really though the 2080ti needs to do 1440p/60 with RTX on to not be a bit disappointing.

Glad ray tracing is finally coming to gaming though. Baby steps.

That's not quite true. The game (From what we could see in the video posted above) ran at around 100 FPS at 1080p with RTX ON, not off. It was running on the 2080 Ti.

As stated in the article, our own BFV benchmarks with the 2080 Ti pushed around 180FPS on average, with the same resolution, but without RTX.

That's not quite true. The game (From what we could see in the video posted above) ran at around 100 FPS at 1080p with RTX ON, not off. It was running on the 2080 Ti.

As stated in the article, our own BFV benchmarks with the 2080 Ti pushed around 180FPS on average, with the same resolution, but without RTX.

As you can see here, with RTX ON you are far from 100 fps, its 40-70.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/4.html

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/battlefield-v-raytracing-features-are-now-enabled.html

100 FPS with RTX on at 1080p is absolutely no where near as bad as the haters claim. Really though the 2080ti needs to do 1440p/60 with RTX on to not be a bit disappointing.

No where close to 100 fps, Im not a hater, but these site have some info on this.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/battlefield-v-raytracing-features-are-now-enabled.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/4.html

No where close to 100 fps, Im not a hater, but these site have some info on this.

Ouch, this looks worse than I ever expected. I guess I'll wait for Steve to give us the final numbers.

Performance aside, I can't even say I'm that impressed visually. Real-life cars give a mildly dull reflection of fire but nothing remotely like the "super-bright perfect glass mirror" in the first marketing shot. The floors in the video intro at 0:00 (aside from looking abnormally wet) seem to start off brighter than the actual windows they're reflecting which makes zero sense as they aren't perfect mirrors either. Like most effects, it sounds nice in theory on the GPU manufacturer end, but ends up laughably over-exaggerated by developers to the point you end up lowering the settings not just to make it run faster, but look more realistic too. I'll pass. On both the card and the game

Last edited:
Performance aside, I can't even say I'm that impressed visually. Real-life cars give a mildly dull reflection of fire but nothing remotely like the "super-bright perfect glass mirror" in the first marketing shot. The floors in the video intro at 0:00 (aside from looking abnormally wet) seem to start off brighter than the actual windows they're reflecting which makes zero sense as they aren't perfect mirrors either. Like most effects, it sounds nice in theory on the GPU manufacturer end, but ends up laughably over-exaggerated by developers to the point you end up lowering the settings not just to make it run faster, but look more realistic too. I'll pass. On both the card and the game

I believe that these RT reflections can make a large visual impact but the game has to be made from the start with them in mind and they need to be performant. They threw them in last minute and that's mostly Nvidia's fault. They had plenty of time to work with devs on this yet they only gave them two weeks notice before they announced the cards. All this given that Pascal was a longer then normal cycle as well, so they had extra time. I just have no idea what Nvidia were thinking. They could have delayed RXT four months or more if they wanted to get games with the feature and improve drivers, it's not like AMD is pressuring them.

As you can see here, with RTX ON you are far from 100 fps, its 40-70.

And clearly it's buggy. DXR Ultra gets higher frames than DXR Medium @ 1080p in that TPU test.....

It's early tech and DICE didn't have it long, yet they are the first to put it out, post launch, just like they did with DX12 and we all know how well that worked out.

Tip of the day: Don't judge new tech when DICE uses it first.

TPU DXR Test Conclusion:
Another thing that's problematic, specifically for Battlefield, is that DirectX Raytracing is built upon DirectX 12, a rendering mode that experiences some stuttering in Battlefield 5, something that was present even in BF1 (and BF4), and that the developer has been unable to completely fix.

Last edited:
And clearly it's buggy. DXR Ultra gets higher frames than DXR Medium @ 1080p in that TPU test.....

It's early tech and DICE didn't have it long, yet they are the first to put it out, post launch, just like they did with DX12 and we all know how well that worked out.

TPU DXR Test Conclusion:
Another thing that's problematic, specifically for Battlefield, is that DirectX Raytracing is built upon DirectX 12, a rendering mode that experiences some stuttering in Battlefield 5, something that was present even in BF1 (and BF4), and that the developer has been unable to completely fix.

I have to agree, the stuttering in DX12 mode is pretty bad. I can understand DXR having optimization issues but BF has had awhile now to get DX12 up to speed. It's a double edged sword for Nvidia because turing is really their first architecture that targets DX12 while their previous gen cards were definitely better on DX11. It'll be curious to see how well AMD cards do on DX12 Nvidia sponsored titles as they historically have done better on DX12 and vulcan (excluding games that used wrappers).

And it seem that my "old" 1080Ti still better choice than it's next gen version (price/value).
RTX will not have any impact on the 2k/4k gaming fans, thus struggling on 1080p (ASUS probably have big smile on it's face with overpriced 1080p laptops/monitors)
Also it's a fact that buying a working 2080Ti is a hit and miss...I defo skip this gen...
Turing test my nerves with these flaws.

TPU DXR Test Conclusion:
TPU gave an update in the comment section, they are having instability issues, and according to comment and links, other reviewers are having it too.

This is just the first game not the first use or the release of the technology.
I haven't seen any lag so I guess that must be hardware dependant and not a software issue.
Anyway it's great tech and the graphics are amazing in both games and apps that use RTRT.

TPU gave an update in the comment section, they are having instability issues, and according to comment and links, other reviewers are having it too.

That is exactly how DX12 performed in BF4. Performance was incredibly inconsistent.

A real test of DXR will come in the future, but BFV wont be providing it. I'd bet money on it.

That is exactly how DX12 performed in BF4. Performance was incredibly inconsistent.

A real test of DXR will come in the future, but BFV wont be providing it. I'd bet money on it.
The tech is most impressive in creative software shaving hours off of production time.

Back