Received a private message: is this standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfessaru

I posted a question and received, instead of a post, a private message which asked me to respond by regular e-mail instead of by posting.

Is this a scam or is it legit?

Seems odd to me -- but paranoia strikes deep.

Private Message:

From Phillipines; Member since Oct 2009. Name: WinXPert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can you email me a sample of the rootkit that infected your system. just zip it with a password 1234 send to
bonamil_lactum@yahoo.com
i'll send you a fix as soon as i got hold of the virus/malware/whatever. pls answer me thru email not at techspot. hope i could be of assistance to you. nobody is answerring yout post might as well be the first to volunteer.

Virus & Spyware Temoval Team
http://www.tipidpc.com

I believe what was done broke some of the Terms of Use here. You were wise to be cautious. Whenever you find yourself in the position of having to ask if something is okay, it usually isn't.

The site he left is described as:
TipidPC.com is the leading resource for buying and selling brand new and second-hand computer parts and peripherals in the Philippines.

Thank you -- but I need more help.

Thank you -- but the original problem is not solved.

I have the fake Microsoft Security problem (https://www.techspot.com/news/38045...cious-antivirus-security-essentials-2010.html). I ran Malwarebytes, then downloaded the real Microsoft as recommended in the "News", then ran a complete scan. Windows security found two files: TrojanDownloader:ASX /Wimad.AN and the program: Win32/ PowerRegScheduler.

All of the text files from today are attached.

Is everything okay now? Should I go through the 8 steps just to be sure that everything is gone? None of these logs lists something with the same name as the Trojan Win32/Fakeinit.

Thanks!

View attachment dberr.txt

View attachment mbam-log-2010-03-01 (10-57-16).txt

View attachment ntbtlog.txt

View attachment SchedLgU.txt

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    13.4 KB · Views: 1
Did you start another topic about this issue before, or is this your first post about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back