Suggest the antivirus for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently i am using McAfee and it got expired, I have AVG virus protection always on and windows XP firewall enabled. Why do I still get infected with some Trojan horses? I check for updates every day so I am sure I am up to date.Can anyone tell me the best antivirus of 2010.. There are so many on net so it made me confused and drag me here to ask in the forum..

My vote goes to Nod32. Scans everything from your computer to each and every email you send/recieve. It's also very light on system requirements and doesn't bog down your computer like McAfee tends to do.

Eset Website

Yes, the user is the first line of protection! I am seeing people say 'Norton let ....in' or it 'got passed AVG'.

In my opinion, there is no best antivirus program. Some do a better job than others and there are many comparisons on the internet for that.

There are good free programs, stand alone AV protection. Put that with a good bi-directional firewall and at least 2 antimalware programs for layered protection.

See This link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:
Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

On XP, you could be using an ADMIN login to access the Internet - - VERY dangerous!

Layering is like:
using a router
running from an LUA/UAC account
installing a bidirectional firewall
and having an A/V product[#]
and then stacking the deck further with
Spywareblaster (to control ActiveX components
updating the host file (to stay away from bad sites)​
and using FireFox or Opera as your primary browser.

[#]Personally I like Avast! as it has a component to intercept webpages and deceptive emails.

Using Admin to login to Internet

I am not sure what you mean. My account is the admin account -- I have Windows 7, linksys router, and AVG between me and the Internet. Do you mean that I should have a separate account for admin, and for daily use use another?

I am using AVG because I read (on techspot) that it was compatible with WIndows 7 beta, so . . .

I am not sure what you mean. My account is the admin account -- I have Windows 7, linksys router, and AVG between me and the Internet. Do you mean that I should have a separate account for admin, and for daily use use another?
Absolutely!. Use Admin only to perform install, update & maintenance. Use a limited account for everything else. In this way, if an email or website attack gets past your firewall or A/V (and none are perfect), there is limited damage and the system itself will survive.
I am using AVG because I read (on techspot) that it was compatible with WIndows 7 beta, so . . .
Tha's ok; I use Avast!

Administrator

Got it -- makes a lot of sense. I have already set up a separate admin user on all computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back