Recommendations for best DVD burner for editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyJoe

Hello all-

I have a number of movies on dvd that I want to burn and most importantly, edit. I have done some research but I don't know which ones are able to burn original DVDs such as Batman or what have you. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pioneer DVR-110, it burns ALL types of media even DVD-RAM.
PC User says its the rolls royce of DVD drives.
My dad has a 110. I have a 110D and theyre exaclty the same but with no RAM burning support ($10 less too).
I do suggest updating the firmware when you get it though because this unlocks the ability to burn 16x on minus media.
Oh and on the topic of burning original DVD's, it dosent matter what drive you use, you just need the right software.
DVD-Shrink is perfect, and ya dont necessarily have to shrink the DVD either.
And also, whatever you do, DONT get liteon, they are **** house.

Thanks a lot for your response. Does the Shrink also have good editing features? That's quite important as I usually like to alter my movies a lot, sometimes by repeating certain sequences.

I would recommend getting a burner that supports bitsetting. this allows you to burn a DVD+R or a DVD-R and have it recognized by a player as a regular DVD Rom. this increases compatability with more players.

BenQ 1640, Sony DVD, Lite ON, and plextor all support bitsetting, the pioneer does not.

you need specialized software to back up commercial DVD's Shrink WAS an excellent freeware product but it has not been supported or further developed for more than a year now. and it will not be furthe developed or supported in the future as the author of the program went to work for Ahead.

CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD used in combination are excellent for backing up DVD's you can download 30 day trial versions at www.slysoft.com

Thanks. But how is the editing functions of CloneDVD? I have Microsoft moviemaker. Which one is best suited for editing the burned films?

CloneDVD2 is a transcoder. this allows you to put a DVD9 (dual layer) film onto a DVD5 ( single layer). it also allows burning of DVD9 media if you want to use that. CloneDVD2 allows you to choose to back up the entire disk or the movie only. it also allows you to edit chapters and choose audio streams and subtitle options.

your not going to copy a commercial DVD movie with Windows movie maker by itself because of the CSS copy protection on them. AnyDVD which runs in the background, strips off the CSS on the fly while CloneDVD is ripping the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back