Red Dead Redemption 2's PC port will demand 150GB of storage space

Polycount

Highly anticipated: When Red Dead Redemption 2 (RDR2) was first announced for Xbox One and PS4, PC gamers readied themselves for a long wait. Now, roughly a year after its initial launch, RDR2's PC port has finally been confirmed, with a release set for November 5, 2019. It'll arrive first on the Rockstar Games Launcher and the Epic Games Store, with a Steam version coming sometime during December.

Due to RDR2's impending launch, Rockstar has decided to release the western-themed epic's system requirements. Given the title's fantastic visuals on lower-specced consoles, you might reasonably assume that you'll need some pretty beefy hardware to run it. However, it seems that won't quite be the case after all.

You can see the minimum requirements below:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Even budget-conscious PC gamers will likely already have hardware equivalent to, or better than the specs above, so getting the game to run at a playable (likely 30 FPS) frame rate on PC won't be too big of a hassle.

Even the recommended requirements aren't particularly demanding (they're slightly lower than the requirements for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order). See them here:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

While the GPU, processor and RAM requirements are all fairly reasonable, RDR2's storage needs are a different story. It's not hard to see why the game needs 150GB of space -- just look at how many details, graphical or otherwise, Rockstar has shoveled in -- but that's still a lot of drive capacity to dedicate to a single title.

If you use a multi-terabyte hard drive for your game installations, it might not be such a big deal, but for those that prefer to install their games on SSDs, it could be tricky to clear up that much space. Regardless, many PC gamers will likely see this as a worthy trade-off; after all, they'll finally be able to play Rockstar's latest adventure on their preferred platform.

So, with the system requirements out of the way, let's briefly discuss some of RDR2's PC-specific upgrades. On the graphical side of the coin, we're looking at increased draw distances, higher quality snow trails, improved global illumination and ambient occlusion, tessellated tree textures, better grass and fur textures, and boosted reflection quality.

For those with the setup and budget to support it, RDR2's PC port will include HDR and multi-monitor support, as well as unlocked resolution and framerate options. The game is also getting a number of free singleplayer-oriented feature updates. These include three new Bounty Hunter missions, two new Gang Hideouts to raid, two new Treasure Maps, a new mission, numerous horses, several fresh trinkets, and a handful of new pistols.

Regardless of how you feel about Rockstar's other business practices, one thing is certain: they know how to make a proper PC port. If they'd simply released the game on PC in a fairly well-optimized state, that would have been enough for most players -- but they've clearly decided to go above and beyond.

Obviously, we can't say for sure how good (or bad) the play experience will be on PC without testing it ourselves, but for now, we're cautiously optimistic. As a side note, all of the screenshots in this post were taken from the PC version of the game, and Rockstar has a 4K, 60 FPS trailer for RDR2 in the works right now (it should drop soon).

Permalink to story.

Does anyone know if this will be a Pay2Lose title? Paying for cheat codes is a cancer on the gaming industry. I will not play a game where people can buy unfair advantages. Basically it turns into a game of money and not skill.

I wish publishers would also include recommended for 1440p and UW formats. I'm sure my PC will run it easily but it's always nice to know.

When games get to the terabyte size, I'll start worrying about storage then.
Hopefully by that time HDD will be a thing of the past. And 1TB is only a drop in the bucket for our SSD. Perhaps a few more games this size will push the market closer to that reality.

Geez between this and Odyssey (yet to start it) I'll have no life left. Waiting to upgrade my system, want to play at 1440p with max settings (within reason).

Sweet... looking forward to this title on PC. I hope it is as solid as GTA V was for PC.
GTA V generally felt empty. Unless a mission dictates, the buildings that you see are just there for decorations, and you can't do anything in there. It's a pseudo "open-world" game.

In RDR2 you can enter any shack or shop or home, like in the Elder Scrolls series. Depending on your style of play, you can do anything. Players who love robbing will have a field day in this game.

Geez between this and Odyssey (yet to start it) I'll have no life left. Waiting to upgrade my system, want to play at 1440p with max settings (within reason).
Haha, I hear you. I just asked for a two week-vacation to attack my backlog of games, Odyssey among them.

What's so bad about personal communication? Is the internet running out of space?

No, but when you can find the answer to your own question in less than a second, it doesn't add to the conversation. I am encouraging you to think. Productive personal communication would be you sharing your findings and enlightening us. :)

I do hope I can find it physically, if not, RIP my internet and monthly quota.
Indeed and this issue is far more of a concern than available storage space - 1 TiB HDD/SSDs are pretty cheap these days, but 150 GiB of downloading for those people with data caps are going to be stung rather badly by this.

Back