Red dots intermittently?

greatman05

Hello. I just got this laptop from Cyberpower a couple of days ago:

CyberPower X6-7900
Compal NBLB2 /w HDMI out, VGA out,, 1920x1080 1080p W-LED LCD, 4xUSB, Webcam, 4xUSB
Intel PM55 Chipset
Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 gHZ, Turboboost to 3.2 gHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 1GB @ 550 core, 800 memory (stock)
750 GB HDD
Windows 7 32-bit
8xDVD-RW

The issue I have been having has been that I've been sometimes getting red and blue dots on the screen. I can't attribute it to any specific cause because it only occurs with a few applications at random times. Deus Ex almost always crashes after 15 min without fail, but that might be more of an application issue. All of my other games run just fine, no problems and no red dots for hours. Short stress tests show nothing, and I've checked the temps; the GPU idles @ around 49-50C, and on load can reach up to around 70-75C. I don't think it's overheating, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

Make sure Windows is fully updated using Windows Update, checking over and over for updates until no more are found. Delete the bloat ware McAfee or Symantec 60-day trial antivirus and download free Comodo or Avast software. New laptops are never updated and they are loaded with lots of useless software. No extra DVD or CD writing software is needed with Windows 7. Boost the system memory to it's max allowed when you can

Already did the Windows Update, the laptop came with almost no bloatware but the few essential apps that came on the included driver CD to enable some of the added function of the laptops. I'm already using Avast. And, I'm at max basically with Windows 7 32-bit. Any other suggestions?

Okay, check on the Cyberpower/ ATI website for a video driver update. With a 32-bit OS only 3GB system memory seen. With a 64-bit OS, 4GB or more can be seen

If your brand new laptop is not running correctly, contact the manufacturer for tech support and either have them tell you how to fix it or send it back.

There is no reason why a brand new laptop coming from a manufacturer should not work out of the box.

Of course, you always need to update some things, but I'm of the opinion that if you have a warranty and tech support as part of your purchase, you should take advantage of it.

As far as older games go, I did notice one interesting thing. I had several older games that I got on Steam as part of a package, and when I had my 4870s in Crossfire (or even when turned off), some of them, such as Guild II, would not work. They would work just fine on a Vista computer with a 4850 with a worse processor and less memory.

Then when I put in a 460 in my computer, all those games would work, all other things being the same as before, so I'm assuming it must have been the video card which somehow affected my ability to play those games.

Of course, you always need to update some things, but I'm of the opinion that if you have a warranty and tech support as part of your purchase, you should take advantage of it.

As far as older games go, I did notice one interesting thing. I had several older games that I got on Steam as part of a package, and when I had my 4870s in Crossfire (or even when turned off), some of them, such as Guild II, would not work. They would work just fine on a Vista computer with a 4850 with a worse processor and less memory.

Then when I put in a 460 in my computer, all those games would work, all other things being the same as before, so I'm assuming it must have been the video card which somehow affected my ability to play those games.

Cyberpower's warranty is horrible, so if I have to send this back, I'ma try to get a refund.

I also noticed that too, because all of the older games I play (besides the little errors introduced because of DX11; RA2/Yuri's Revenge, I'm looking at you) besides Deus EX work just fine; no red dots, no corruption, just extremely playable due to this laptop's specs. I have to slow Generals: ZH down because it moves too fast lol. That's why I'm so reluctant to send it back; I rarely have this problem, and it really only occurs in one specific game :(

I know the limitations of a 32-bit OS; I picked it because of compatibility reasons and because of the fact I have no use for a 64-bit OS right now. Maybe in the future I will, but as of now I see no need to break compatibility with older hardware and software just to join the 64-bit gravy train.

Back