Reformatted comp, trying to get Internet back up

Reckoning

Reformatted friends computer with windows xp pro.
His ethernet connection on the computer doesn't work so he has an ethernet to USB adapter. So his set up looks like this.. Modem to router to adapter to computer via USB.
He has a Motorola sb5101 modem, does he need to install modem drivers?
We've tried to get drivers for this modem for awhile now and came up with nothing. The closest we got is the drive given from the motorola website but it gives you a zip file with 6 files in it and none of them or .exe files to install.

Now on my personal computer there was nothing to even install for my modem it just works... so I'm not sure if the drivers are even needed for this to work.

A few options/ to do's

Start by omitting the router for now till networking works
Option 1
> You could start with Modem <==> Computer via ethernet cable
> Then you just need the ethernet drivers for his computer (which you can download to your machine and move using a flash drive

Option 2
Modem <===> Computer via a USB cable

Give me the download link and i should be able to tell you how to install the USB network adapter driver files.

/* edit */
In FACT, are you looking here? You;ll find both a driver download link for the USB network driver as well as Readme link.

1) Well, I just read the ReadMe file from Motorola (which seems pretty worthless!) LOL

fyi... The "secret" when you don't get an .exe file that does the install for you, is the mfr is providing the driver files themselves. Rt click on the INF file and select Install

Also looks like there;s another WQHL driver .exe file on that Motorola site (not easy to see it's a separate link). This might be an executable that does all the installs for you

2) What's the model of his motherboard?? Also do this
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V

Will see if i can find the ethernet driver as well (tho probably not till tomorrow)

When right clicking on that file and trying "install" the screen kind of twitches for a sec but nothing comes up. I also tried to do that with my computer (running windows 7) and i get an error message saying "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation."

The motherboard is a gigabyte ga-m51gm-s2g socket am2 nvidia geforce 6100.

Thanks for your time and help so far!

1) Reboot the XP machine with the modem connected directly to the XP computer over USB. I think Windows should re-detect the hardware and load the drivers for the device (I hope!)

2) I'm pretty sure that driver is NOT compatible with Win 7 which is why Win 7 complains

3) Pls post the Problem Device report for the XP computer as well (those cryptic strings you'll see actually ID the hardware device)

/* edit */
And am off to bed soon. If not tonight, will check back when i can tomorrw :)

I will get him to get me that info by tonight however, we got the internet to work "sort of" directly with ethernet. He can open websites (loading very slow) and can sign on to the preloaded windows messenger however it won't let him sign on to windows live messenger

Reformatted friends computer with windows xp pro.
His ethernet connection on the computer doesn't work so he has an ethernet to USB adapter. So his set up looks like this.. Modem to router to adapter to computer via USB.
He has a Motorola sb5101 modem, does he need to install modem drivers?
We've tried to get drivers for this modem for awhile now and came up with nothing. The closest we got is the drive given from the motorola website but it gives you a zip file with 6 files in it and none of them or .exe files to install.

Now on my personal computer there was nothing to even install for my modem it just works... so I'm not sure if the drivers are even needed for this to work.
Modems as in high speed modems don't have or need drivers, they don't get installed they just pass internet provisioned on cable or copper to a computer a hub or a router.

The only drivers needed or provided with high speed modems are when the modem has a "USB out' port used in case the computer has no Ethernet port, USB ports on the high speed modems are not recommended and are slower than the Ethernet ports.

You are not connecting directly to the modem, you are connecting to the router and the router is already setup and working, the only driver you need is for the USB to Ethernet adapter you bought since his integrated LAN does not work. Don't even consider the modem since it has nothing to do with your computer or his.
If the needed lights on the modem are lit as in Internet, Sync, Data, the modem is operating perfectly.

FYI

High speed modems are setup in few different ways.

If they are just OPEN, a network connection (PPPoE) has to be made in Windows with login (Authentication) to the ISP and needs to be executed to connect to internet.

Almost all XDSL modems, need user name and password
Almost all Cable modems don't need user name and password

Some XDSL ISPs pre setup the modem with user name and password, in this case, PPPoE connection is not required in Windows or the router.
If the modem is not setup by the ISP, the user can log in to it the same way you log in to a router and set it up or the tech support guy can connect to it from where ever he is and set it up.
Cable modems again don't require this with most Cable ISPs.

Since routers are common these days, no one ever sets up the PPPoE connection through Windows any more, they either set the router with PPPoE or Dynamic DHCP/ Automatic depending on XDSL or Cable and how the modem is setup.

Most ISP have gone modem wireless router all in one kinda device some even with VoIP.
No one does anything to moidems these days any more again since routers are widly used.

/FYI

Undo what ever you did trying to install modem drivers, all you did was installed the USB driver for the computer to recognize the USB port on the modem and that can and is possibly causing conflicts. All you needed was the USB to ethernet drivers for the adapter you bought.

Back