Refresh Windows 10 to its default state in a few clicks, keeping your files and settings

Can I start the reset process without logging in to windows? Like from a rescue usb stick or such? Sometimes it's not possible to start windows due to some issues.

Can I start the reset process without logging in to windows? Like from a rescue usb stick or such? Sometimes it's not possible to start windows due to some issues.
Yes, but it may require a password. And in the very worst case you can do this from the recovery console. It's easier to make a recovery flash drive, or recovery dvd and stick it on a shelf somewhere.

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 inch laptop and the August Microsoft 10 updates removed my integrated webcam driver and I am unable to reinstall from the Dell Support site. Will this procedure reinstall the needed driver? What about future Windows updates?

I know I probably just missed it in the article, working here and reading lol. So will I have to reinstall any games? Like world of warcraft, because it is huuuge to reinstall even at my 400mbs

Will it keep my pictures and text files etc I have created?

Thank you

MS brilliantly came up with the same technology that Windows 7 had 10 years ago.

Amazeballs!
No it did not. To reset Windows 7 back to factory setting, you had to use the installation media. And even if it did, it never had the option to keep the current user settings. Finally, it isn't as user friendly as the one now included in Windows 10 where you can just go into the settings and hit "Reset this PC."

Steve mentioned, maybe a year ago to me, this is still not as good vs a fresh install for when your changing major hardware and squeezing max fps

"Refresh Windows 10 to its default state in a few clicks, keeping your files and settings"
A.K.A
"Re-enable all the privacy settings you disabled, reinstall crap-ware, change wallpaper to default"

Can you delete that "windows.old" folder later? Because my experience with Windows shows that you can't delete any folder named "windows.something" located in the root. You have to keep that crap forever on your disk. Or boot up Linux and delete it from there.

Can you delete that "windows.old" folder later?
I've always been able to delete the "windows.old" folder. Disk cleanup has an option to add old system files to be cleaned. That takes care of it every time. Or at least it has for me anyway.

No it did not. To reset Windows 7 back to factory setting, you had to use the installation media. And even if it did, it never had the option to keep the current user settings. Finally, it isn't as user friendly as the one now included in Windows 10 where you can just go into the settings and hit "Reset this PC."
Win 10 doesn't really let you change many settings, MS gives you all the VR, xBox, Cortana and stuff you never really wanted compulsorily. So you get to keep all that stuff. Yay!
Putting in a restore disk (old days) or running the current built in manufacturer system restore from boot really isn't hard. Really.
no one knew about it in win7... and it was not even the same thing...
Many people know about it, it's hardly a secret. Don't paint the world with your own ignorance.

It's pretty much exactly the same thing. All your files remain in place whilst your system gets reinstalled. Even the Windows.old folder is the same.

Last edited:
Win 10 doesn't really let you change many settings, MS gives you all the VR, xBox, Cortana and stuff you never really wanted compulsorily. So you get to keep all that stuff. Yay!
Putting in a restore disk (old days) or running the current built in manufacturer system restore from boot really isn't hard. Really.
Irrelevant. Win 10 offers you to reset it through the interface itself unlike Win 7 where you had to use restore disks. So that's a huge step for usability without the need to dig up restore disks that people either lost (they should have been more organized but hey, that's how some people are) or threw away (stupidly). Besides, restore disk were very easy to use until quite a few major companies decided to not include them anymore and sometimes even charge you for them (I'm looking at you, HP) to send them through snail mail. Of course, you can easily make your own but then you have to also download the drivers from the computer manufacturer's site and more. This ability to restore Windows 10 with a click of a button is easy for everyone.

Irrelevant. Win 10 offers you to reset it through the interface itself unlike Win 7 where you had to use restore disks. So that's a huge step for usability without the need to dig up restore disks that people either lost (they should have been more organized but hey, that's how some people are) or threw away (stupidly). Besides, restore disk were very easy to use until quite a few major companies decided to not include them anymore and sometimes even charge you for them (I'm looking at you, HP) to send them through snail mail. Of course, you can easily make your own but then you have to also download the drivers from the computer manufacturer's site and more. This ability to restore Windows 10 with a click of a button is easy for everyone.
With many (if not most) modern Win 7 machines with restore partitions (HP did this) you could just press f10 or whatever and do it from boot.

But I understand some people need to use the mouse. Buttons can be confusing. Enter Cortana stage left.

My whole point was it's not new functionality, which you deny... here we are.

The fact still remains it's not new, even though you can do it with a mouse now.

Last edited:
If I am understanding your question correctly, on W10, right click a blank spot on your desktop, click personalize,, scroll down to related settings & you should see it.

As someone who has just done this on my 1 month old win 10 install (yup, lasted a whole month my win 7 OS ran flawlessly for 15 years till my MB bios failed then my HD failed). Brand new SSD, never been able to get Win 10 64 pro to ever run cotrectly.

Did the upgrade and 2 weeks later I found myself dealing with the never ending startup repair then blue screen. Found this option to reset. The reset went fine (I guess no errors showed) but every program was lost and now I can't install the graphics card drivers and without them my computer is useless to me.

AMD drivers won't go past the detecting screen. Also I can't get it to go on line through my phones usb tether, it also shows my phone as an empty folder when trying to use file transfer. This experience with win 10 has been nothing but 2 problem after the next, I'm at the end of my rope wasting so much time on this for nothing.

Win 10 has ended my home computer use I've given up with this constant hassle from deleting my programs over and over to the way it works to the way it doesn't work have proven to be far too much for me to continue and I've pulled the plug in an angry fit. I am trying to stop myself from smashing every single computer part I own. I have a stack of motherboards and CPUs that have all failed the only thing that's worked properly since my old (15 years without a hitch} AMD 790FX died has been 4 power supplies, 4 sets of DDR3 RAM and a huge pile of AMD cpus,. The 2 Intel CPUs have been huge problems as well as the 5 MBs .
They just don't seem to make quality motherboards HDs or CPUs anymore and they dam sure can't make an OS that works. Home computing has lost its luster and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this, it's not worth the price or the time to try and get it working, just to see it has deleted your programs and drivers without warning. I run 2 video cards for a reason and without the right drivers I can't do anything.

Microsoft has really made a mess of an OS and it keeps proving that at every step along the way. Attempting to work with this abomination is futile.

I have reinstalled Win 7 64 again and luckily found the magic files that Microsoft created to stop people from continuing to use win 7 the lack of SHA2 files will block most drivers from installing.
Microsoft is now the enemy of computer users, forcing us to use win 10 was just bad for everyone.
It simply doesn't work and I don't care if it ever gets fixed I'll never bother with windows again.

If you do the reset be ready for an OS that will never seem to run correctly after it's done. It never ran right before the reset either so I guess it was just a waste of time to begin with.

no one knew about it in win7... and it was not even the same thing...
Well, with Windows 7, you had to push that very stiff button to open the DVD drive,lift that incredibly heavy DVD, push that damned button again, then make the incredibly difficult decision whether to repair or reinstall. Oddly, after that strenuous ordeal of a process, Windows, somehow miraculously, worked just fine.

Now, if you lost the DVD, that's on you.

In other perhaps off topic news, Windows 10's "media creation tool", is no longer usable in Win 7.

M$ is slick though, they don't want to tell people that. What they do is, let you download the tool, only to later find out that it's in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3.

So boyz and gurlz, you now need Windows 10 to download the tool to create it.

Luckily, I had a counterfeit copy I got stiffed for on Ebay. It installed and ran, but I couldn't activate it. When I tried, I got this message, "those characters shouldn't even be in the product code".

I know I probably just missed it in the article, working here and reading lol. So will I have to reinstall any games? Like world of warcraft, because it is huuuge to reinstall even at my 400mbs

Will it keep my pictures and text files etc I have created?
Theoretically a "repair install", will do just that, repair Windows, leaving everything else intact and working.

As for data, pictures, videos, etc, you should NEVER EVER store them in the four basic folders Windows provides. That's just asking for big trouble, heartache, and loss.

Should you be blessed with a desktop, another drive can be installed, and pure data installed on it, then target those folders with shortcuts on the desktop. Even a complete fresh install won't harm them.

You should periodically clone your C:/ drive at, "last known good" points. Samsung make this easy, offering excellent cloning software with all their SSDs. The only drawback is that you must use all Samsung drives at the C:/ position. You can however, use whomever's drives for pure storage. Should you have to replace a system drive, reactivation may be required in Windows 10 and above. (even with a cloned spare). So, your system should be linked to your M$ account which makes the process almost instantaneous.

With a laptop, you're pretty much SOL While makers do provide a "D:." drive, it's simply a partition on the one physical drive in the machine. Attaching an external drive periodically and copying new data to it, is somewhat of a solution.

My approach is to use multiple machines, which I've accumulated over the years. To be sure, they're not the "latest and greatest" but they're not connected to the web or to NAS storage. It's not bullet proof, but it's damned near so.

In short, if you clone C:/ periodically, you won't lose program installs, should something go radically wrong during the repair process.

Back