Registry Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustGreat

Hi all,
I have a problem related to registry and i hope you will help me to solve it

I made a programm and wanted it to appear on the right click windows menu, of all files and folders, so i added it to registry in the following places :

For admin users, i added it to

To add it to all files :
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open With My program\command

To add it to all folders :
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Open With My program\command

For users that are not admin (if they have rights to write in the registry) :

To add it to all files :
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\Shell\Open With My program\command

To add it to all folders :
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\Shell\Open With My program\command

It's working as supposed, i mean it appears on the right click menu in windows for all files and folders, BUT THE PROBLEM IS :

When i make double click with "LEFT" mouse, on files that is not associated to an application in my pc (.swf, .vbw etc..), my program is launched automatically !!
USUALLY, when we do this, we have the open with form that appears, but since i added my program as described above , it's my program that run automatically ..
What is weird, is that if i create a txt file and i changed it's extension from .txt to something like .moe, .zea etc....my programm is not launched like the case of .swf and others, but i get the normal OPEN WITH window !

Can anyone tell me why and how to prevent this problem ?

the last addition become the default action and you should see that in the right-click open with list

does that stimulate ideas?

jobeard, you are the only one who tried to help and i appreciate a lot, but honestly i didn't understand your sentence

What i understand from you is that because i added the last one my key to the registry, my program become the default to be launched ?
If yes, then how to solve this ?
do i have to add my program + an empty dummy key after it, so the empty key will be the last ?

am i adding in the right place in the registry ?

It looks like the key you added has made your program the default program to open most of your files. You can try checking your default programs to verify that this is the problem. If your defaults is correct then it could be the location of the key and or the the way you wrote the key.

thanks for your reply,

How to check my default programs ? as for the place of the keys i added i mentioned them above, anything wrong with that ?
As for the way i'am adding my keys, am writing a command key inside these keys and i am adding to it's value the path of my program

thanks again to any suggestion and help provided

In xp you can access your default programs from the control panel under add remove programs, and in vista you can access it from Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs. In xp however this is only a dummed down version. There are user defined programs that can control default actions for programs.

Hope this helps

thanks, I went there and my program is not inside any part of the default programs !
By the way, my program is a stand alone exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back