Reinstalled computer yellow exclamation mark beside audio controler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckster

the audio controller will not update also not install i dont know if it came with a cd or not i just bought this off somebody a few weeks ago and in bios i reset to optimisied defaults with no change some tech help would greatly be appreciated been stressing for like 3 days now and is not good for my tinnitus ;( the audio is called intelr 82801 ba/bam ac'97 audio controller IBM speaker.

ok i'll try updating drivers and service pack 3

which update in list would i select do you need a everest report if so i would i send it to you

All updates at Windows Security updates, but mainly Service Packs
I had a modem driver issue yesterday on a Windows re-install, I thought oh well I'll find it after SP3 is installed, low and behold as soon as SP3 was installed the modem driver was automatically found and installed perfectly.

If you are speaking of manufacture drivers and which one. Again all of them. Except Bios, as the Bios update can be critical. But all other drivers (with minimum SP2) must be installed

There's one trick as to updating audio. that may affect you...

Are you XP SP2 or SP3 right now? Do you have AC97 audio or Hi Def Audio?

Pls answer these questions before installing anything

Is OK. only impacts you if had Hi Def Audio. finish the installs/updates

/* EDIT */
If you still have driver issues when all done
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2445&SUBSYS_004811D4&REV_01\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD The drivers for this device are not installed.

downloaded that and at windows startup imade the login sound at welcome screen no getting error messages

now* getting error

I don't understand what you are saying, please write clearly.

Just continue SP3 and all manufacture drivers as first stated

Also note: I have merged many of your posts in this thread, please do not reply to the last post in the thread if that post is still yours. Use EDIT instead ;)

Guide to Making a Good Post/Thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html
6. Do not post twice in a row, there is an Edit button at the bottom right of your posts, click that if you need to add information, a new reply isn’t necessary and clutters the page.

ok what im meaning to say is logon and log of is making sound but at windows startup vinyl deck encounters problem and needs to close

Well if you re-installed clean and you didn't repair Windows (?) then it cannot be malware (Virus or spyware)

You may need to uninstall the driver through Control Panel > Add\Remove programs
And continue with all updates and manufacture updates
By the way, if you reply back, ideally tell me what computer make and model number this is. Or any other detail just on the computer make and model (note I don't need a long list of info)

thanks reinstalled and sound is back thanks for the help kimsland and lookinaround but my computer is running slow you know where i can get a virus remover without paying send me a link please.

Now that's getting in early LookinAround ;)

;)

Actually, this thread reminded me i should update my post / advice about upgrading from SP2 to SP3 (stuff applies even if no USB problems) USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates

Specifically, make sure there are no audio issues / driver errors for Hi Def Audio. If there are currently issues, make sure it's not the ol' missing Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver that's missing!

That KB (and driver) should be applied to SP1 or SP2 but in either case BEFORE upgrading to SP3!

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
I think MS have that incorrect, what's wrong with installing after SP3 ? (Unless SP3 doesn't need it ;))
I must admit that was good find and excellent reference in defending your actions though :grinthumb

From what i've read what MS says in the "applies to" section is exactly the problem (and why the heck MS did it that way is beyond me!)

But i've read people who can't install that patch AFTER they installed SP3 and, in fact, told how to patch registry to set an SP3 flag back to SP2 just so they could install it and then change the registry back! (what a pain for MS to have done it, i don't know why :confused: :confused: )

Will add, while i've pointed out that missing driver to many people with audio problems they've all so far been SP2 installs so can't PERSONALLY testify to what i read.. but i definitley did read about needing the patch for an SP3 install to get the KB to work!

yep. and i had just found this one

Hmmm.. and just found this. dated jan, 2008. Yours is May, 2008.

so don't know if this is the way it still works or has changed. But pretty amazing 'bug" to slide through if not the original intent. AND amazing it's not fixed between jan and may.

And amazing if they left it like that by intent!

We are talking XP SP3 RC here
So this may be fully rectified, do you want to go on the MS tech forums and ask? Or is it up to me :suspiciou

We are talking XP SP3 RC here
So this may be fully rectified, do you want to go on the MS tech forums and ask? Or is it up to me :suspiciou

Yea, i know it references xp rc.. tho i had already searched through MS Technet (which includes forums, technical articles and KBs) for info (and didn't come up with anything for SP3 before) BUT i just thought to pull up the SP3 release notes... AND, ok. false alarm. It is fixed in the final XP SP3 release :blackeye: (per the XP SP3 release notes dated Mar, 2009 at time of final release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back