Rejected names for Hammer Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

The following is dripping with sarcasm.

Exclusive to 3DS discussion boards. I have recently come across a document that list the top 5 rejected names for the Hammer processors.

1. Dorkeron
2. Nerderon
3. Geekeron
4. Cantselleron
5. Lameron

Geez. AMD engineers bust their butt making one of the best processors seen in a long time and marketing comes it and screws it all up. Leave it as Sledgehammer. I mean, think about it. AMD doesn't have a lot of television time, but a processor with the name Sledgehammer. At least that would stick out. Another thing, if you say to a group of people you're gonna buy a Sledgehammer, you don't sound like a total geek. You say you're gonna buy an Opteron, even to your geeky friends, you sound like uber-geek. Now we have to wait 6 months or so for AMD to rename the core to something cool like they did with the Thunderbird. Nobody refers to them by their class name, Athlon. They call them Thunderbirds or T-birds. Man, now I have to invest in a disguise so no one recognizes me when I ask for one of these things.

Can you guys think of any other names they may have passed on?:confused:

LoL...

"Opteron" is a hideous name. It sounds like AMD is trying to make a reference to "Optimum" performance, but they should have conveyed optimum in another way. It sounds like a pokémon name... "Optimon". hehe!

For example, I would have called it something like "Optera", "Optimax" or "Optium".. If I HAD to use optimum in some way. They are still lame names though because the word is just geeky.

Otherwise, I would have named it something much more pleasing to hear.. Like, "Velocity", "Acceleron", "Athlon Max" or SOMETHING else.. I mean, come on. I'm sure any of us can come up with a half way decent name that would sound better than Opteron.

My vote is still for AMD HYPERION which sounds totally cool IMHO.

Hyperion was a Titan in Greek Mythology, and the father of several Gods...

If they had gone with Hyperion they could have a load of "It's not Hype" advertising campaigns then...
What can they do with Opteron?? :confused:

Hyperion is very good.. It also makes the word "Hyper" come to mind aside from the original meaning of a greek god.

See? A couple hours and this board has already came up with a name 10x better.

Opteron?? I think AMD have messed up big time with this one. Should have just called it Athlon-64 or something, anything would be better.

I agree with Hyperion though, sounds pretty cool.

Originally posted by Rick
Hyperion is very good.. It also makes the word "Hyper" come to mind aside from the original meaning of a greek god.

I believe that is where we derive, in modern english language, "hyper" from...., as in "hyperactive," "hyperspace", etc.... Basically, a CPU on steroids....

Oh man, I'm gonna e-mail AMD's marketting office....

;)

I knew "Operton" had to mean something.

Opteron is from the Latin optimus meaning best.

But I still think its crap and that "Hyperion" is much better. ;)

So, say it again, Opteron. Opteron from the Latin optimus meaning best. But, we won't bore you with the marketing pitch, or push you to imagine the pictures the word Opteron is supposed to conjure up. Obviously, optimal comes to mind. Like it or lump it, people in marketing get paid good money to come up with this stuff, and while it takes some getting used to initially, it does eventually sit well. That's enough fretting about the name.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020424/opteron-01.html

Optimus...what?

Optimus Primal? (of Beast Wars: Transformers fame)

Opteron sounds like octopus. Or octagon. Not a name hailing of lightning fast speed and all that.

I would like a name with 'Neo' in it. Sounds very cool. Means like, something new, something great, fast, powerful...yay! Perfect for a new processor...

I would say Titanic if the boat hadn't sunk...

I say they should integrate a GF4 into the Die & call it the AMD Athlon 4 TI 4600 (tm). I know I would buy one of those :p

What about the AMD Apollo, which is God of Gods in mythology !

Or AMD Thor, who carries a hammer,

Or AMD Posiden, cause all the competitors are gonna wet their pants at its performance ;)

This is going to be one of the biggest marketing blunders since "New Coke". They should have stopped while they were ahead, Hammer was a perfectly good name "smashes the competition" would have been a great slogan, several others mentioned here were also good, I especially liked Rick's "Hyperion". They could have called it the Stormbringer, because that was the name of Thor's hammer, having nothing to do with it also being my nickname :D

My mistake, sorry about that. There were so many people talking about it.

I also tend to agree with The Register about the Opteron name "sounds like eyewash"

Originally posted by StormBringer
My mistake, sorry about that. There were so many people talking about it.

That's okay. Just so you know how cool I am and now cool AMD's marketting team aren't ;) ;)

I was thinking (danger! Will Robinson!) that they should name one of the new CPU's "Triathlon", but maybe they're saving that for an MP system.

Originally posted by VoodooHellfire
The following is dripping with sarcasm.

Exclusive to 3DS discussion boards. I have recently come across a document that list the top 5 rejected names for the Hammer processors.
Probably also;

Mallet

Originally posted by Vehementi
Optimus...what?

Optimus Primal? (of Beast Wars: Transformers fame)

Optimus Prime actually... And if you link it to that, you could have some fun PR (if you buy a transformers license..)

AMD Optimus, powerfull enough to power even Optimus Prime... (Though it had worked better back when people actually knew what transformers was....)

Oh, well... It shouldn't come as a shock that AMD's PR dep has several screws loose... After the PR rating, the company should've hired some which doesn't act like their either perpetually high, or living in a totally different universe...

.02$

"Hammer" is the in-house code name for the processor family.

"Opteron*" is the *server* chip. It is NOT the home PC chip! It is code named "sledge" hammer.

The home PC chip will stay "Athlon". It is code named "claw" hammer.

AMD hasn't decided if they are going to market them under 2x00 + or use the XP designation, but they will be "Athlons" none-the-less.

I just got this info direct from AMD 10minutes ago. I have suggested they call the new chips the "Athlon Eagle". Guy I talked to liked it & says he will pass the suggestion along.

Hope this clears some things up: The "Opteron" is a server chip NOT intended for home PC's, "Athlon" is staying & "Hammer" is a code name that will be dropped when the chips go retail.

The Opteron is not intended for home users, yet you will have to buy two of those if you intend to run a Dual CPU Rig ( or even 4 CPU rig ).

A bit like the XP & MP situation right now. The difference is there's no physical difference between the AthlonXP & the AthlonMP ( the MP's L1 bridges aren't cut though ) & it's possible to run a Dual XP Config by closing certain bridges on the XP chips but thigs might not be that easy with the Hammer line.

The Server version codenamed sledgehammer will have a lot more pins then the desktop version clawhammer, most of them to handle 2 way / 4 way cpu data transfers. I don't see any workaround for different pin counts.:blackeye:

Geez

I never thought peepz will hate that name! I still think wad's most important is its power and speed. Wad does the name matter? At most it only shows how geek u are. IMO names doesn't really matter that much. I can't stand it when my friend said that wadever name sounds nicer den wadever name. It's jsut stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back