Removed By Accident Removed Cpu Chip Along With Cooling Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WINDOWS WILL NOT RUN AT ALL SINCE I REMOVED, WITHOUT USING USING RELEASE LEVER ,CPU CHIP ALONG WITH COOLING FAN. NOW WINDOWS DOES NOT LOAD AT ALL. APPRECIATE ANY HELP. COMPUTER IS HP PAVILION 455OZ.THANKS

A friend did the same exact thing monday, with a Pavillion 6545C. Check the chip, if pins are missing you are for all intents and purposes screwed. His broke a few pins of in the chip socket. He is looking for a new box now. I was supossed to fix it for him but he couldn't wait and decided to do it himself, I am just glade he did it and not me, I can't afford to replace a computer right now.

Probably tried prying it up. Man, I think you might be totally screwed.

Does it do anything? You say it won't boot windows, but does it post, or anything at all? I'm assuming you can't get anything to work and you screwed your CPU.
BTW, :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

what does someone out there make mini -crowbars for cpu removal now? I have seen people do some weird stuff but prying a cpu out of a socket takes the prize.

if that CPU works after doing that it is a miracle CPU.

When I did my friends computer I was putting in a NIC, when I noticed the fan was making a strained sound as though it was fighting to stay alive. Upon further in spection the fan was barley moving, which was bad because I don't know how long it had been that way and how long it was running to get really hot. The computer ran fine while I was setting up the NIC. I haven't been over to inspect it, but he claims the CPU was some how melted to the heat sink. He then said he pulled really hard to get the fan/heatsink out. Which if the CPU was melted to the Heat sink and he pulled really hard I guess it was very possible.

I haven't been over to inspect it, so I can't accuratly describe what happened, I am taking the word of a guy who knows nothing about computers and who took upon himself to do something I told him I would be happy to do for him if he could wait a day. His kids were on vaction so no one was going to be using the computer anyway they have the adult computer and a kids computer. I am just glad what ever happened, happened to him and not me, as I can't afford to replace someones computer, I still need some stuff for own machines. But he had the same problem the first guy posted. This guy didn't relise he pulled the CPU out, but he mounted the new fan, and tried to get it to run. He later called me and asked why the fan would run but the computer wouldn't start to boot. I figure he is pretty muched screwed.

Originally posted by SMITHYJIM
WINDOWS WILL NOT RUN AT ALL SINCE I REMOVED, WITHOUT USING USING RELEASE LEVER ,CPU CHIP ALONG WITH COOLING FAN. NOW WINDOWS DOES NOT LOAD AT ALL. APPRECIATE ANY HELP. COMPUTER IS HP PAVILION 455OZ.THANKS

I THINK YOU PROBABLY HAVE KILLED YOUR CPU AND YOUR MOTHERBOARD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

LoL Phant.

Yea, well, I belive it is beyond safe to say that whatever the case here this friend of yours is goign to be buying a new motherboard and processor. Surely a heatsink also if the CPU was melted to it.

The motherboard is probably fried if the CPU got that hot and especially since he pulled the CPU out by force, which obviously retires the CPU for good.

Anyway you look at it he will be spending some money to fix his computer. He is probably looking at at LEAST about $100 (if he goes for new parts)..

After you have tested the motherboard (if possible) I would suggest recommending the following to him (unless he needs something faster)

ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard - $44 (free shipping)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor - $52 (free shipping)
Dr. Thermal TI-S8640L Heatsink/Fan - $5.99 ($6.00 shipping)

Total: $107.99

(FedEx Express Saver 3-4 business days)

melted to it??? I think it was probably more like it had an adhesive on it. If the CPU were melted to the aluminum or copper HS, the socket would have melted as well. The material that the CPU packaging is made of melts at a much higher temp than the socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back