Rendition: Gone But Not Forgotten

I think I owned a Diamond V2000 card one day. It's performance was horrible compared to a voodoo tho. But it had just as many other cards a reasonable 2D output.

Sometimes you wish you could go back in time, slap the manager who pulled the plug on projects like the V3000 and V4000 and let the engineers get on with it.

What happens if they turned out to be really good? Would Micron be a major player in the GPU market today?

It seems too many company's gave up making GPU's and now today, we have three company's of which, only two are really competing and when I say "competing", they just follow each others pricing and marketing bs so it's really just a duopoly. More choice would go a long way today.

I had an unhealthy obsession with Rendition back in the day. It sucked when they died.

Sometimes you wish you could go back in time, slap the manager who pulled the plug on projects like the V3000 and V4000 and let the engineers get on with it.

What happens if they turned out to be really good? Would Micron be a major player in the GPU market today?

It seems too many company's gave up making GPU's and now today, we have three company's of which, only two are really competing and when I say "competing", they just follow each others pricing and marketing bs so it's really just a duopoly. More choice would go a long way today.

there was a lot of catching-up Rendition had to do, and even if you hit one out-o-the-park like Matrox G400, you still have trouble continuing that cadence with a small team in a big company

I knew my thriller 3d was a one-off, so replaced with a tnt, then g400 max

Great little GPUs but lacked support from the manufacturers like Diamond. I got on to the beta tester team with Rendition and they were constantly upgrading the drivers and making them better and faster but the manufacturers couldn't be bothered with updating their drivers. Another thing most people didn't know at the time is the V2100 and V2200 were basically the exact same chip and while they were supposedly binned over 90% of 2100 chips could run at the 2200 clock speeds and they both used the exact same crystal with the stock 2100 using a 3 times multiplier and the 2200 using a 4 times multiplier and the drivers could be made to change the multiplier so my 2100 was effectively a 2200 using special beta drivers directly from Verite

I also got the Verite engineers to "leak" the 2D driver specs because there wasn't a way to make it work with Linux. So I tried shopping the specs around to different Linux distros (there were only a few back then) and Redhat turned me down flat and Debian did too after a few weeks but I finally got the interest of some German programmers at SUSE and they got them to work (2D only) in no time and because of the way Linux works you could download them from SUSE and they would work in Redhat or Debian or any other distro

there was a lot of catching-up Rendition had to do, and even if you hit one out-o-the-park like Matrox G400, you still have trouble continuing that cadence with a small team in a big company

I knew my thriller 3d was a one-off, so replaced with a tnt, then g400 max
The larger problem was after Rendition got sold the best engineers left so there was really no chance for the V3000 and V4000 to go forward

@neeyik Maybe it's time we start work on a Matrox gone but not forgotten piece :)

The company is still around, just not focused on the consumer market anymore.

As consumers, maybe we should start screaming for more attention! lol

Also! A piece on the matrox card (and company) would be a decent read :)

It was Riva TNT2 to be more precise. The one I bought had no less than 16 GB of RAM. Same as modern graphics cards nowadays. I mean MB. Same difference.
16Gb? That was some forward looking card. Still using it today? ;-)

Its a joke man (lady?) Nothing mean in my comment . . .

Okay, I wasn't sure, some people take things too seriously. I'm a man...... not a lady. It's hard to find a lady nowadays. There's less than 10 ladies in 7 kingdoms.

Back