Replacing hard drive

I spilled a large glass of lemonade over my Asus 11.6" notebook and destroyed it. I was running windows 10 with all the latest updates. I was able to buy a factory refurbished Asus which is the same model and configured the same as my old one, except it is loaded with Windows 8 instead of Windows 10. I've removed the internal hard drive from my old computer and it seems to work just fine. I plugged it into my desktop as an external drive and my desktop recognised it and showed all of the files.

My Question: Should there be any problem simply removing the hard drive from my new (refurbished) notebook and replacing it with the hard drive from my old notebook which has Windows 10, all my programs, and all my data?

Yes if your os is oem from asus it will be tied back down to the original mobo inside the laptop.
In order for you to get windows 10 reactivated properly call asus directly.
Ask them if they will waive the activation for your old installation and start off with a new product key for W10.
https://gethuman.com/phone-number/Asus/customer-service/~14155

Make sure you have all of your info ready and your facts right about the accident.
Speak with tier 2 technicians as they know what their doing tier 1 is for general customer service and low end technical support.
When your done you should get a new W10 key if any warrenty is left on your old laptop

Back