Report: France runs its own surveillance program similar to PRISM

Shawn Knight

Staff member

france prism- surveillance prism

In the wake of the National Security Agency's PRISM internet surveillance and phone metadata collections efforts, it should probably come as little surprise at this point that the United States isn’t the only country in the world that covertly spies on its citizens.

We’re now hearing that France runs a surveillance system of their own that is eerily similar to PRISM. According to a new report from French newspaper Le Monde, the French program is operated by the country's intelligence agency Directorate General for External Security (DGSE). Like PRISM, it’s said to collect phone metadata and Internet communications that take place throughout the country.

Phone metadata includes information about the caller and the person that receives the call, when the call took place and how long it lasted. Like the US program, it doesn’t actually have access to the content of the calls – or so we are told.

Furthermore, the French program is said to monitor traffic from popular web destinations like Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo – the same companies that have denied giving the US government access to their servers under the PRISM program.

The newspaper points out that French politicians are aware of the program but have been sworn to secrecy about its existence. We’re also told that all data collected from the program is stored at the DGSE headquarters located just outside of Paris.

It’ll be interesting to see whether or not news of the program will be met with the same sort of backlash it received in the US.

Permalink to story.

Where were you when everyone was pointing,bitching and laughing at Americans. Another country does it and it's all good...everyone does it. I was half *** expecting someone to come and say. "In before France surrenders the data to the authorities."

As guest pointed out every country that has the capability to do this type of surveillance does it. To think the US is the only one doing it is ridiculous.

They'd even use the same rail carriage if it wasn't destroyed by the allies.
In any case, my first post was pure whimsy. Everyone knows the Germans couldn't possibly get around the Maginot line to collect the data anyway.:D

I know the British are not doing this, the queen would never permit it.

OK, now that I've officially left the reservation, let me bring to everyone's attention my favorite one liner of the US Constitution. "We hold these truths to be self evident".

So, isn't whichever country with the capability to surveil, surveilling, one of those "truths that should be self evident".

And doesn't, "being aware of a self evident truth", basically state the someone has a "keen grasp of the obvious"?

So basically then, this story is written, "by the people, for the people, and of the people", all of whom, have a keen grasp of the obvious.;)

Bah, dum, dump

I wouldn`t be surprised if China was left behind by western countries on spying its own citizens. Russia still in the lead tho.

I wouldn`t be surprised if China was left behind by western countries on spying its own citizens. Russia still in the lead tho.

You will be surprised. When it comes to internal (excluding external spying on allies and stuff) matters, in EU by considerable margin, Poland is most adept on spying on it's own citizens. Commies for 50 odd years were bad, but since 1989 spying increased astronomically. No other EU country is even close.

@captaincrancky
Big LOL; Maginot Line, ha, ha!

I really dont know why ppl have such a hard time understanding that the govt of any country does routinely spy on its own citizens. THEY HAVE TO!!! Ppl complain because the govt reads Metadata, but EVERY cellphone company in the world is regulated by its governmental communications agency. SO the govt is the "BOSS" of the cellphone companies. Not so difficult to understand and comprehend. But ppl still get upset because they ask their govt to keep them safe from the big bad whatever, then balk at the cost of doing so.
The human creature is very confusing sometimes......

They'd even use the same rail carriage if it wasn't destroyed by the allies.
In any case, my first post was pure whimsy. Everyone knows the Germans couldn't possibly get around the Maginot line to collect the data anyway.:D

I know the British are not doing this, the queen would never permit it.

OK, now that I've officially left the reservation, let me bring to everyone's attention my favorite one liner of the US Constitution. "We hold these truths to be self evident".

So, isn't whichever country with the capability to surveil, surveilling, one of those "truths that should be self evident".

And doesn't, "being aware of a self evident truth", basically state the someone has a "keen grasp of the obvious"?

So basically then, this story is written, "by the people, for the people, and of the people", all of whom, have a keen grasp of the obvious.;)

Bah, dum, dump
Perfectly Stated

Back