Researchers demonstrate 100Tbps+ over optical fiber

Emil

Remember when researchers told us in October 2010 to expect 1Tbps Ethernet by 2015 and 100Tbps by 2020? Well, they weren't just messing around. At the Optical Fiber Communications Conference in Los Angeles last month, two separate research groups have set a world record by sending information at rate of more than 100 terabits of per second (Tbps) through a single optical fiber.

That's equivalent to streaming three solid months of HD video, or the contents of 250 double-sided Blu-ray discs, in one second. It's thus not much of a surprise that Ting Wang at NEC Laboratories in Princeton, New Jersey, called the achievement "a critical milestone in fiber capacity," according to New Scientist.

NEC Laboratories America reached 101.7 Tbps over standard single-mode fiber using pilot-based phase noise mitigation. The team sent 370 wavelengths each with data rates of 294 Gbps over 165km of standard single-mode fiber, and claimed it achieved spectral efficiency of 11 bits/s/Hz, the highest reported to date for wavelength-division multiplexing transmission. A separate team from Sumitomo Electric Industries in Japan, demonstrated 109Tbps using spatial division multiplexed signals over a seven-core fiber. The Sumitomo group sent 97 colors through each of the cores at data rates of 172Gbps (two 86Gbps QPSK signals) over 16.8 km of fiber.

One of the many problems the technology still needs to overcome is cost. Multi-core fibres are complex to make, as is amplifying signals for long-distance transmission in either technique. That being said, a few technology companies will likely shell out the necessary dough needed to get 100Tbps speeds.

Permalink to story.

you are a noob if you actually think ISPs are gonna over 1TBPS to your house by 2015 when a good chunk of the US is still on dial up.

Just because they are working on this doesn't mean you will see it coming to your door, this is the kind of connection ISP and Data centers will be using not home users. That kind of a connection wil be bottlenecked by a SSD before you can say AOL!

This sort of tech is good for upgrading the backbone capacity at the very least as well.

RaiDeR55 said:
Wow that's FAST!! Now you can hit your download cap in one second.Instead of taking all month..

That is just stupidly mindblowing, to think that running a 1tpbs line would max the comcast 250GB/mo cap in 2 seconds....the 100tpbs in one second would fill over 4 years worth of bandwidth O_o

Anyways, it is silly to think that this will be commercially available tech anytime soon, as was stated before, even an SSD RAID array will be a bottleneck. Actually, even RAM would be a bottleneck :O
Can't wait to see when storage technology actually catches up to this kind of network speed.

My company still has a 100 Mbps fast ethernet network, I'll want and settle a 1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet for network users and 10 Gigabit for RACs and NAS communication. That's enough for me.

Some of these statements remind me of some older (taken out of context) statements about RAM. Why would anyone ever need more than 640K of RAM? That wasn't so many years ago and now look - 8-16GB of RAM is hitting mainstream. Just accept the technological advancement and wait for everything else to catch up... they will at least try. No one wants to be the bottlenecking technology in a piece of hardware.

"three solid months of HD video"
This must be the dumbest comparaison I ever heard based on relativity.

herpesdope the point of this is not to stream down to your local storage, instead think full out cloud computing if you know what that is

In 1962 my Uncle Bob brought a piece of "Lucite" home from Eastern Air Lines. He bent it at a 60 degree angle and turned the lights off...then shone a small flashlight in one end of it. Guess what came out the other end.
He told us that one day TV and radio broadcasts would be sent over 3/8" diameter Lucite. I laffed until I hurt.

Back