Researchers find serious vulnerabilities in cars and emergency vehicles, including BMW,...

Daniel Sims

Staff
A hot potato: Security researchers discovered severe vulnerabilities last fall that would let hackers steal vehicles and customer data from multiple manufacturers. In a new update, one of the researchers writes that the vulnerabilities are more wide-reaching and can even affect law enforcement and emergency services vehicles.

Multiple vulnerabilities could have let attackers remotely track and control police vehicles, ambulances, and consumer vehicles from various manufacturers, according to researcher Sam Curry's latest report. The update follows a similar notice from November.

The weak point for the emergency services rigs is the website for the company controlling the GPS and Telematics for over 15 million devices, most of them vehicles --Spireon Systems. The researchers described Spireon's website as outdated and could log into it with an administrator account with some ingenuity.

From there, they could remotely track and control fleets of police vehicles, ambulances, and business vehicles. Attackers could unlock the cars, start their engines, disable their ignition switches, dispatch navigation commands to entire fleets, and control firmware updates to potentially deliver malware.

Last year, Curry said that SiriusXM's remote systems vulnerabilities could let hackers steal Acura, Honda, Infiniti, and Nissan vehicles using only each car's Vehicle Identification Number. They could also access customers' personal information. The new report reveals similar dangers with Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis models.

Furthermore, misconfigured single sign-on systems let the researchers access BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Rolls Royce internal corporate systems. The flaws didn't grant direct vehicle access. Still, attackers could have breached internal communications at Mercedes Benz, accessed BMW dealership information, and hijacked any BMW or Rolls Royce employee account. Security holes at Ferrari's websites also let researchers access administrative privileges and delete all customer information.

The researchers also found that most, if not all, California digital license plates were vulnerable to attackers. After the state legalized digital plates last year, a company called Reviver handled possibly all of them, and security faults emerged in Reviver's internal systems. Digital license plate holders can use Reviver to update their plates and report them as stolen remotely. However, vulnerabilities allowed attackers to give ordinary Reviver accounts elevated privileges that could track, change, and delete any registrationo in the system.

Curry's latest blog post extensively details the methodology behind these and other hacks for those interested in the nitty gritty. His team reported the vulnerabilities to the affected companies before disclosure. At least some of them confirmed issuing security patches.

Permalink to story.

Wow, who would have guessed that replacing analog functionality with digital everything while installing wireless antennas for OTA updates in all vehicles would open them up to security vulnerabilities.

My car has 1 job, to get me from A to B. I don't even have the option of buying a new vehicle without this nonsense.

And it's not like the writing hasn't been on the wall, people have been taking remote control of Teslas basically since the model S was introduced. This has been a problem for over a decade, why are we still putting this crap in cars?

Last edited:
The monthly sub for extras like heated seats is a joke. I get it a continuous source of revenue, from your already overpriced wares.
And these flaws your customers will want when they want to be able to jailbreak your BS. But yes when it comes to safety, or having the car half inched from the superstore car park, we need a bit more security. Maybe my custom os I flash will solve all that ?

Part of me thinks people will start buying the brands that have everything included with the car without the need for wallet raping their customers, as they already do on spares and repairs. But another part of me sees 2k PC's now costing 4k and people happy to pay the covid prices still.They are happy to pay the 65 - 100 per game on release. If they are that stupid just cause they can afford it, and do want to have the best, then that ***** who has to have a beamer, is gonna go get it, and pay the extras, and these A-hole companies will get away with continuously fleecing people more for less.

But when these electric cars flood the already filled streets, in our overpopulated towns and cities, it will be faster to walk, to take a bus, a train, public transport which should be the focus, on improvement of the transport, and the areas they serve, the planning of them.

This has been a problem for over a decade, why are we still putting this crap in cars?

The answer is money, and your safety means nothing if somewhere in the legal bit, they are covered enough to ignore it when you are hurt or killed. Profit before quality

Attackers could have taken over fleets of police cars
Well, that would be actually fun to watch and good to kill mood for people to put crap ton of unnecessary electronics in cars

Tell this to those people who love when they can control their car from their smartphone. door unlock, remote start, location tracking and many other things. if you can do it from your phone, eventually someone else will be able to do it too.

no worries I drive a sh**box so it doesn't have any of those features. it doesn't even have a push button start.

Wow, who would have guessed that replacing analog functionality with digital everything while installing wireless antennas for OTA updates in all vehicles would open them up to security vulnerabilities.

My car has 1 job, to get me from A to B. I don't even have the option of buying a new vehicle without this nonsense.

And it's not like the writing hasn't been on the wall, people have been taking remote control of Teslas basically since the model S was introduced. This has been a problem for over a decade, why are we still putting this crap in cars?

That's the reason I have been holding on to my 20-year old BMW which still runs great...! It's off the network grid...!

Just in case if I do decide to replace it with cloud-based automobile, I will make sure the new car has a kill switch for all the OTA and wireless features...!

I still drive a "stick". All of these electronic do-dads...no thanks.
The only "extra" I have on my car is a kick butt stereo.
I don't want push button start, not to mention having a 14" screen that I have to take my eyes off
the road to turn up the heat/cooling, change a radio station etc. With buttons & knobs, I can feel
around without taking my eyes off the road.

This is not an unexpected problem when you manufacture vehicles with mostly electronics and give them a bunch of connectivity. So when there is a robbery next time, the robbers just need to hire a hacker to shut down all the police cars for example so that they can just cycle away while the cops are running after them on foot. No car chase required.
While it sounds cool for cars to have these electronics, the main driver is more probably to better control people. Imagine you paid for a car, but the car company or government or their agencies can just lock down your car as and when they want. In fact, they can find your car, track your usage and location as and when they like as well.

I still drive a "stick". All of these electronic do-dads...no thanks.
The only "extra" I have on my car is a kick butt stereo.
I don't want push button start, not to mention having a 14" screen that I have to take my eyes off
the road to turn up the heat/cooling, change a radio station etc. With buttons & knobs, I can feel
around without taking my eyes off the road.
Then you would very much so love this new feature!...
Gesture Control
Makes me questions what they think of people who drive a manual? If moving your hand to adjust your heat is a "distraction" what about us physically changing gears, are we bound to cause a horrific accident?

I would argue the opposite as it forces your engagement with driving a vehicle, the less engaged you are as a driver the more easily you are to have your attention diverted.

Makes me questions what they think of people who drive a manual? If moving your hand to adjust your heat is a "distraction" what about us physically changing gears, are we bound to cause a horrific accident?
Except you don't have to take your eyes off the road to shift.

Also, both of my main drivers have analog control for often used features, and everything can be micro controlled with voice commands. But I'm not sure if voice commands are the norm, though I thought they were.

Why is there a picture of a Ford interior when the article mentions nothing about Ford, only about a dozen other brands?

I don't want push button start

I'd love to see statistics for drink driving before and after this became a thing. Used to be you had to find the keyhole on the door, get in, find the ignition, get the car started, put it in gear and take off without stalling.
Now you hold the key and touch the handle and it unlocks, then you push a big illuminated button and it turns itself over the right number of times, then you flip a lever and it's in gear.
Almost seems like these features assist in unsafe practices when you look at it that way.

Some of you wish you were still riding around in horse carriages, hilarious when boomers get scared of tech.

Some of you wish you were still riding around in horse carriages, hilarious when boomers get scared of tech.
My favourite thing about horse carriages is that if you have one horse pulling it, with modern horses you technically have more than one horsepower according to the defined standard measurement.

You totally missed the point (unless you're trolling, and if so sod off), it's not the tech, it's the misapplication and lack of understanding of the potential security issues is what most people who don't like overly teched out vehicles are leery of, myself included. There's a big difference between "gee whizz" features that really don't add anything necessary and ones that do. All we want is the ability to choose to forgo the ones that we really don't need... or want.

All we want is the ability to choose to forgo the ones that we really don't need... or want.
That, and for the parts that are in the car to 'just work', because they were in the car when we bought the thing. No subscription for heated seats etc.

You totally missed the point (unless you're trolling, and if so sod off), it's not the tech, it's the misapplication and lack of understanding of the potential security issues is what most people who don't like overly teched out vehicles are leery of, myself included. There's a big difference between "gee whizz" features that really don't add anything necessary and ones that do. All we want is the ability to choose to forgo the ones that we really don't need... or want.
I dont think you understand how tech works and that nothing is secure...
Why anyone would buy a car that requires a subscription for heated seats, they deserve whats coming to them. I wouldnt buy a vehicle that did that. I hold the purchaser responsible for making a dumb decision in that case.
There is like one manufacturer that does that so just go to another vehicle that has what you want. Its not like every vehicle out there works like that, you are applying something that one company does and applying it to every company.

I dont think you understand how tech works and that nothing is secure...
Why anyone would buy a car that requires a subscription for heated seats, they deserve whats coming to them. I wouldnt buy a vehicle that did that. I hold the purchaser responsible for making a dumb decision in that case.
There is like one manufacturer that does that so just go to another vehicle that has what you want. Its not like every vehicle out there works like that, you are applying something that one company does and applying it to every company.

And at one time there was just one game developer that had loot boxes, or sold half a game and then the rest in installments as "DLC", or...

And at one time there was just one game developer that had loot boxes, or sold half a game and then the rest in installments as "DLC", or...
Look I get it, tech scares you, you prob dont understand it.
Fact of the matter is, it does make life better. Remember driving around without GPS or speed matching cruise control, abs, rear view cameras, blind spot sensors, etc.
The good far outweigh subscription for heated seats in one manufacturer. You are conflating the problem unnecessarily making it sound a lot worse than it really is.

If you dont like a feature of a car, dont buy that car. Its simple.

Because they are required by various agencies to put crap in the cars, so one can be spied upon, or his car be unlocked, or taken control of while driving. Every here and there it's useful to have total control over peasants.

Attackers could have taken over fleets of police cars
Well, that would be actually fun to watch and good to kill mood for people to put crap ton of unnecessary electronics in cars

Oh, please, don't give them ideas...

Why is there a picture of a Ford interior when the article mentions nothing about Ford, only about a dozen other brands?

Probably similar reason why they penalized only Volkswagen for CO2 emissions, when all other brands were doing the same. Maybe just a random pick.

Back