Residential LAN Setup Best Practices

Kindly lend advice for most secure residential LAN hardware, software products, configuration, and operational best practices for regular folks who have to contend with cyber attacks due to factors such as their profession (like investigative reporters etc.)?

Personally I have two COTS routers on two ISP lines. I use Rtr-A Guest for things like smart ligt bulbs, Rtr-A Main for devices like Alexa, TV etc. I use Rtr-B Guest for general PC usage and Rtr-B Main direct wired for banking, router administration, secure communique etc. I try to employ enhanced security practices such as using physical encryption authenticator keys, separating accounts by purpose segregated by devices. It’s quite complicated and security never assured with so many holes, but best practice advise is much appreciated.

For a home user this is a good practice to do. The only way that I could think of making it more secure would be to have an active filtering firewall appliance but this is usually expensive and requires a subscription. For most home users this step is not needed. Keep Windows PC's set to public on the firewall unless you do some type of LAN file sharing.

Back