Respawn reveals maximum 6v6 player count in Titanfall multiplayer

Russ Boswell

We live in a world of massive scaled multiplayer warfare, with games like Arma II and Battlefield 4. The latter of those two even has the capacity to host 64-player skirmishes on both PC and console. But amidst all the epic contention, there are still some developers that prefer a downsized struggle. Respawn, the creative minds behind the upcoming Xbox One exclusive (possibly PC one day, we all hope) Titanfall, has revealed via Twitter that the anticipated shooter will feature a max player-count of six versus six for competitive game modes.

The news came with a decent amount of backlash, with many gamers angered by the small-scale player count. Although, from a personal standpoint, I'm not really sure where all the hostility is coming from. Maximum player count has never really mattered before, and the quality of a game's multiplayer is what really matters. Take a look at series like Counter Strike and Gears of War, where 5v5 multiplayer is a common thing. Both of those series have spawned some great titles with some very enjoyable multiplayer experiences.

The slew of grumpy gamers was still enough to gain to a response from Respawn, and the developer took to NeoGAF in an attempt to quiet the storm.

"Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum,” said DKO5 on the NeoGAF forums. “Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.”

The post when on to speak about what gamers can really expect from a match, touting that things won't be as calm as everyone assumes.

“And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing. Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.”

One thing is for sure, this definitely has people talking about the impending release, which we expect to see on March 11th.

Permalink to story.

6v6 seems too tiny to be honest atleast give us more options 6v6 seems more clan/major league and less casual, not just that but 6v6 seems well... boring it wouldn't give you the joy of going ahead with 12v12 more people means more action and more killing.

If his heart cant take 6v6 how is he still alive after CoD or heck BF... I think he is just talking bs on that part.

Pretty arrogant talk. Sure hope he can back up the talk. I've never seen a game yet that lived up to the "hype". Especially when it came to "our game" has smarter AI.

"Respawn, the creative minds behind the upcoming Xbox One exclusive (possibly PC one day, we all hope) Titanfall"

But its on Origin for preorder with a March 14 Release Date?

Personally this was one of the games that I was most looking forward to on the next generation of PC games coming with the next gen of consoles (by the way Titanfall is coming to PC as far as I know, it's even on origin for PC pre-order for £45 with a release date of 14 March 2014) but I think that I would have preferred at least an 18 player multiplayer mode, I was planning of pre-ordering but now I think I will wait till after release and what the reviews say about the multiplayer mode after reading this.

How are people complaining about this? It's their game and their experience to offer. I feel Halo miiiight have had some success in this "limited player" offering (yes there are other game modes but the higher player variants weren't/aren't nearly as popular). Have some faith in the developers that independently created Call of Duty 1, 2, and 4 before the Activision buyout... and MW2 did bring in some new elements to FPS.

I wouldn't mind if they gave different game modes that sport different player counts (like Halo), but at the end of the day, I won't complain :p

Have some faith in the developers that independently created Call of Duty 1, 2, and 4 before the Activision buyout... and MW2 did bring in some new elements to FPS.

Absolutely, these guys allowed 128 players in Call of Duty 2, I've been in one such server, it was horrible xD just basically spawn killed every 5 seconds and you might get a kill in and run off for 5 seconds if your lucky... like very lucky. These guys are veterans, I have faith they know what their doing, if reviews and friends say it's good, then I may even pick this up after launch.

Every game is unique. BF and arma have massive player counts because there maps are designed for it. Cod4 plays terrible on the 48 player servers, it was designed for 18 at max and 12 is perfect. Halo plays well with 6 vs 6 and halo pc was good on 8 vs 8. With the size of the maps they have shown and with all thr AI elements they will have hapening on the map there looks to be plenty going on. Not only that but having less people puts less strain on servers and also usually makes the game less demanding on the users system allowing more pc gamers the chance to experience the game, something arma and bf can't offer.

Eh. I Was hoping for something like 8v8. But I cannot say if I like 6v6 or not until I try the game.

6v6 means people are gonna be pub stomped. It's not the quality of the game that matters at this low-player-count, it's the quality of players. Increasing team size increases the probability that you'll get someone who will help you out.

It's also being developed by a different company for Xbox 360. It's just never going near Sony or Nintendo.

Well there are AI enemies on the maps and the mechs can be deployed as AI and not just piloted. There will still be plenty to shoot at, so whats the problem?

Just wait a few weeks after the reviews. I bet they up it to 8v8 in no time. There wouldn't be any need to change the maps, and 8v8 should be plenty. I think the limited size is to balance the Titans. Plus the PC version will be modded to host however many players the host server wants sooner or later.

Titanfall is NOT an xbox one exclusive. It IS coming for pc. You can preorder it from pc, and here is a direct quote right from the "Game" section of their website, if you click "Game" a page loads and you see on the right side of the screen that says:

"PLATFORMS
Titanfall is scheduled for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC in Spring 2014."

There are multiple journalists and multiple places that keep calling it an xbox one exclusive when it clearly isn't, and I fail to understand why people are saying it.

Well at a first glance, I find the number kind of a let down but yes, if the game is balanced for 6v6 and fun I will not have any objections.

It's pretty obvious Xbox one is a seriously weak console and this is console related and not a "balance issue," just sad to see literally right after it's released and not 7 years down the road. I wasn't excited about Titanfall (PC) to begin with but now it's completely off my radar.

Back