Rethinking wearable computing

Bob O'Donnell

Staff member

Bring up the topic of wearables these days, and you’re likely to see rolled eyes, shrugged shoulders, and a general sense of “whatever.” The problem, of course, is that wearables were badly overhyped and haven’t even come close to living up to the expectations that many companies, analysts, and industry observers had for the category.

Sales in many of the most closely watched sub-categories, notably smartwatches, have not been anywhere near the level that would make them “the next big thing.” Sure, you could argue a few companies have done OK, but the short attention span of the tech industry has clearly been diverted to newer, sexier devices, like voice-controlled speakers, or AR and VR headsets.

Despite these issues, it may be that we’ve given up on wearables a bit too soon. The problem is that we’re thinking much too narrowly about what the concept, and implementation, of wearable computing really is. To be clear, I don’t see a big future for the individual products that we currently count as wearables, but I think the idea of several linked components that work together as a wearable computing system could have legs.

Imagine, for example, a combination of something you wear on your wrist, something you wear on your face, perhaps a foldable screen you carry in your pocket, along with a set of intelligent earbuds (which might be integrated into the glasses you wear on your face), all of which work together seamlessly.

The devices would each incorporate sensors and/or cameras that would enable real-world contextual information. They would all incorporate high-speed wireless connections, and the entire system would be reliably voice-controlled with an AI-powered digital assistant. Critically, I think a solution like this would need to be sold together as a system—though a componentized system might work as well.

Admittedly, there are some inherent challenges in a concept like this. It’s hard enough for people to always remember to carry their smartphones, so thinking that they’ll regularly walk around with 3 or 4 devices seems like a stretch. Remember, however, that certain elements of these solutions could eventually get integrated into other currently non-technical components of our lives, such as our clothing. Start thinking that way, and some of the concepts may not be quite so far-fetched.

Arguably, what I’m really talking about is the next evolution beyond smartphones into a highly personalized, but much less visible form of personal computing.

Arguably, what I’m really talking about is the next evolution beyond smartphones into a highly personalized, but much less visible form of personal computing. Given that I don’t think people are too eager to give up their smartphones yet, this connected wearable computing vision is still clearly a ways off—maybe even as much as 8-10 years. Nevertheless, if we start to formulate a goal for where computing is headed, we can more easily envision that path from our present to the future. More importantly, we can start thinking more clearly about potential stops—or product concepts and iterations—along the way.

At some point, wearable computing devices or solutions or whatever form they end up taking will be part of our lives. Of that, I am convinced. But in order to start moving towards that future vision, we need get past the broken, highly separated wearable product categories of today and start thinking about a more integrated wearable solution for tomorrow.

Bob O’Donnell is the founder and chief analyst of TECHnalysis Research, LLC a technology consulting and market research firm. You can follow him on Twitter . This article was originally published on Tech.pinions.

Permalink to story.

Personally, I just never saw the fascination with these things. I guess it's wonderful to know what your heart rate and BP are after a workout, but after awhile the sheer amount of data and analysis seems to defeat the entire purpose of working out to start with, doesn't it? Excuse me now, that 2nd box of jelly doughnuts is calling my name .....

Personally, I just never saw the fascination with these things. I guess it's wonderful to know what your heart rate and BP are after a workout, but after awhile the sheer amount of data and analysis seems to defeat the entire purpose of working out to start with, doesn't it? Excuse me now, that 2nd box of jelly doughnuts is calling my name .....

Remember wearables aren't just for fitness & health. Imagine walking up to your house, having the house authenticate your wearable and unlock the door before you reach it. Or the same for your car. What if a contact lens could do things like flash to wake you up if you fall asleep while driving? A smartwatch that can detect blood-alcohol levels and disable your car accordingly could also help prevent drunk driving. It's actually a fantastic idea if they get it working well. Right now, much like VR, it's over-hyped and the technology just isn't quite there yet.

The thing is they didn't make wearables do something that's actually usefull. Like everything, they have to make you feel like you need something that you actually don't but they failed with wearables, for now. I myself cannot think of something that I would add to wearable tech but that could be because I don't want more technology in my life.

Agree with Nobina and OutlawCecil...

And the same way we don't go out without pants, and also our phone, weareables could come integrated in our clothes as said in the text... Mics, speakers, skin sensors our tactile feedback can go on shirt/jacket/pants, shoes...
The same way we get today a Bluetooth 4.0 piece of earbuds, we could in the near future get an Xyz 3.0 standart shirt, or jacket, that would bundle a full suite (pun intended) of embeded sensors, input/output itens, many kinds of displays and individual computing capable units...

It's just that the industry don't tried to create this need for us yet, and we still need to take the needed tech (battery life/ high speed wireless comm) a step further for better integration and even cheaper production, as cheap as the price of a integrated compunting piece of cloth would be price competitive to a common shirt.

But I really believe we will get there soon.

Imagine if your fake leather jacket could be set in biking mode, so it could glow out moving parterns on your back so car can easly see you at night. And that same jacket could measure de UV level and warn you thru it's integrated neck speakers that it's too much sunny to take a ride without sun screen.
That same jacket could warn you that the alcohool in your blood level is getting too high for your historical beverage usage measured by skin-touching blood sensors and it would be better to put that next drink aside... our that you need to take an insulin shot.

In case of public emergencies our also to crowd controlling situations like in public places where you need to direct people, the glowing color and pattern in their clothes could guide you to where you need to get to, like in an airport terminal, as natural as walking in direction of the people that's glowing the same color as you.

Physical access authentication, realtime location tracking, realtime seamless payment, acess to your data and communications everywhere and any time...

Sure the dangers are enormous and the industry and society must work together to iron it out, but it's such powerful tool to change the way we do things to improve our lifes that there's no way we won't get there with weareables. It's just a matter of time.

Back