retrieve files from faulty cruzer mini-please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been saving my files onto a sandisk cruzer mini 128MB flash drive. Everthing was going ok till yday when I plugged in my cruzer mini and I saw the littl eicon on my computer and the green light went on too but i was not able to access my files. When I tried it kept asking me to insert the desk :( Then I tried one of the freeware to recover files from it and that returned zero files. Can somebody tell me how I can retrieve files from it, if at all possible. Unfortunately I dont have back up too.

Thanks

I have a Cruzer Micro that I accidently wiped out (and fixed) so maybe I can help a little bit. First of all, you have to be able to access the drive before you can recover any files. If your computer is telling you to insert the disk, that ususally means that it does not think the drive is there. Did the recovery program that you tried detect the drive? Also, which operating system are you using?

'retrieve files from faulty cruzer mini-please help

OS is windows 98. Yes the recovery program detected the drive.Help will be appreciated. My PhD dissertation is in the flash drive and unfortunately I dont have back-ups :(

lizannel said:
I have a Cruzer Micro that I accidently wiped out (and fixed) so maybe I can help a little bit. First of all, you have to be able to access the drive before you can recover any files. If your computer is telling you to insert the disk, that ususally means that it does not think the drive is there. Did the recovery program that you tried detect the drive? Also, which operating system are you using?
OS is windows 98. Yes the recovery program detected the drive.Help will be appreciated. My PhD dissertation is in the flash drive and unfortunately i dont have any back-ups :(. Please help.

Sometimes Drive letters get confused with detachable items.If windows can see the drive , change the drive letter to a letter higher than say" L". Leave the drive in and re-boot .

If Liquidlen's suggestion doesn't work, then you may be SOL. If you OS can see the drive now but there's no files on the drive, the you probably learned the hard way about why you should always back up vital files - and having been there myself, I sure know how that feels....sorry I can't be of more help!

BTW, my problem was that I accidently wiped out the partition on my flash drive, and although Windows could see the drive, it could not access it or format it. I found a nifty little program from HP that will allow you to reformat your flash drive and yes, it worked fine even though Cruzer is from Sandisk, not HP. Added bonus - you can even make it a bootable drive as long as your BIOS can boot to a removable USB device. It's very small (368K) and easy to use but too big to attach here. Google this file name:

HPUSBF_guiversion.zip

download, unzip and install, if you need to reformat your Cruzer. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back