Revisiting Some of the Best Video Game Music From the 8-bit and 16-bit Era

I know this is all subjective stuff, like all 'Best of' lists, but to not have any Chris Hulsbeck music from the Turrican games, is an unforgivable sin that deserves to be punished with eternal damnation in the flaming pits of hell.. :)

When you're a young kid, you are most impressionable in relation to music. Playing these games with these simple Midi beats being repeated over and over allows them to easily be picked up and remembered for a lifetime - no different than nursery rhymes.

I think my favorite game music came from Konami - overall. Contra, TMNT, Gradius, etc.

Newer music is way more complex and it doesn't have the same impact if the hero or villain doesn't have very specific themes.

Omg where is Killer Instinct OST
1 of the best of all of them.

I still have original CD somewhere that came with game :)

Zelda music in Japanese famicom disk version was different because it had a better sound chip. NES version still sounds good and is nostalgic but always weird to know the original version was not what we got over here.

I have to say, this list is pretty vanilla and doesn't show a lot of research. These aren't "some of the best", they're just some of the most well-known.

No C64 or Amiga music at all? Sunsoft and Tim Follin NES music? No Streets of Rage 2, Contra Hard Corps? Any of the Castlevania games? Sega's arcade soundtracks (e.g. Outrun, Space Harrier, Hang-On)? I could go on.

I know everyone has their opinion but this article is just so disappointing.

My favorites has to be Contra, TMNT, Mega Man 2, World Cup and Shatter Hand which is less known game. Here it is:

Zelda music in Japanese famicom disk version was different because it had a better sound chip. NES version still sounds good and is nostalgic but always weird to know the original version was not what we got over here.

Wow this sounds incredible. So this version was only available for JDM?

Decent start, bu you're missing two of the greatest NES game soundtracks:

Caastlevania 3 Japan.

Battletoads

And, an Honorable Mention goes out to Solstice title theme:

BTW SFII music on the SuperNintendo is the worst of all platforms, its nowhere near arcade quality.

My thoughts, too. Those two are legends on chiptune. (Hubbard and Daglish)
The Last Ninja, Thrust, Ace II.... \o/

The opening theme music to Shadow of the Beast by David Whittaker :

And the legendary opening theme music to The Secret of Monkey Island by Michael Land:

Back