Rise of the Tomb Raider Review: A beautiful, enjoyable sequel

Julio Franco

Staff member

Rise of the Tomb Raider tells the story of young Lara Croft, alone in a dangerous place, exploring ruins, solving puzzles, and shooting lots of guys with flaming arrows. It combines hunter/gatherer elements—where you need to scavenge for the stuff you need to survive or make weapons—with a mix of melee and ranged combat with pickaxes, guns or a bow and arrow.

Rise of the Tomb Raider tweaks the gameplay formula established in its 2013 predecessor. There’s a new crafting system that has Lara constantly foraging for resources that she can use to make ammo, equipment or bandages. Once she has enough resources, she can craft what she needs on the go. The player holds down the left bumper and can craft, mid-action. So, collecting deathcap mushrooms lets her make poison arrows that release a fatal gas. Similarly, other new craftable items increase the ability to silently skulk through encounters if you want. If loud, messy combat engagement is your thing, then you can quickly turn bottles and cans into molotovs and hand grenades.

Read the complete review.

As per usual, I'll wait for a significant price reduction then decide whether to scoop it up but I'm definitely not going to use some crummy console controller so if the game plays superior using this method, I'll just pass on by.

As per usual, I'll wait for a significant price reduction then decide whether to scoop it up but I'm definitely not going to use some crummy console controller so if the game plays superior using this method, I'll just pass on by.

Played really well with the keyboard and mouse for me. I couldn't imagine trying to aim with a controller.

Played really well with the keyboard and mouse for me. I couldn't imagine trying to aim with a controller.
Great. The reviewer said platforming felt a bit off with kbd and mouse but I guess it's just his impressions. I have a XB controller for PC but I can't get used to it and it's uncomfortable, I'd probably be more at home using a kbd and mouse with my toes.

A very solid game. I am about 8 hours into the story and am enjoying every minute of it. The graphics on this game are absolutely incredible. On the point of the reviewer saying that the game felt a bit awkward with a keyboard and mouse, I'd have to disagree. I have had no issues nor awkward feelings while playing any aspect of the game with a keyboard and mouse. Really a great game. Kudos to the Tomb Raider team for another solid game. I have no issue spending 60 dollars for a game as polished as this, although it was only 36 through instant gaming.

So.. does it still have the motion sickness inducing shaky cam like the first game?

If so, did they finally add a damned option to turn it off?

Wasted my money on the first game (prior to steam refunds) and couldn't play it because it gave me a headache and made me nauseous. If the 2nd game is the same, then I won't waste my money on it this time.

Real shame, because I was really enthusiastic about playing the reboot, but no, the developers just had to go and do something so stupid.

Back