Roaming profiles on encrypted wireless connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mictlantecuhtli

I'm in a catch-22 situation here:

I can't use roaming profiles on XP Pro or 2003 Server on a laptop, because the wireless connection won't get up until I have logged in. The encryption key for wireless connection is stored on my user profile.

I'm sure there are many companies / corporations where laptops are being used the same way, so how is it done? With unencrypted connection?

Or does the wireless adapter matter here - do some manufacturers load the driver earlier than others?

Not sure if this is of any use..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873485
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819536

I haven't tried to do this myself, so I can't offer much information. It seems like it should be possible with XP's WZC service. I think this because it should load just the like the other regular network services. But, where it may differ is it takes some time for that intial connection and authentication. Maybe try waiting longer for the WZC service to start and authenticate and then try to login a minute later?

And of course, configure your WZC profile to automatically connect to the network you're attemping to connect with.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I'll have to test that, thanks.

But I'm not using WZC at all, it's HP's laptop with HP and Broadcom utilities.

Since HP/Broadcom wireless utilities probably rely on software that loads up at the start of Windows, these WiFi utilites sound kind of sketchy. I wouldn't expect them to work, though they might have the same chance as WZC to work.

It's probably worth the effort to disable those utilites and try using WZC instead, if you get bored of course... And if I get bored, I might try to reproduce this at home when I have the chance in a few days. :)

Let me know if you find a way around it, because I'd like to know myself.

Just thought you might be interested to know that my laptop's 2200BG wireless (Intel) has the option to load the wireless connection before Windows logon... This present this option in the driver install and I totally forgot about it until I uninstalled some updated drivers lastnight. :)

So... Perhaps an Intel card might provide a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back