RTX 3080 Ti die, specs, and mining performance pictured

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Following months of rumors, it appears that the elusive RTX 3080 Ti's arrival is imminent. After pallets of MSI cards were photographed in transit to Los Angeles last weekend, we now have what’s claimed to be images of its GA102-225-A1 die and mining performance—without Nvidia’s mining limiter applied, presumably.

The images, courtesy of VideoCardz, include a GPU-Z screenshot that shows the previous rumors of 10,240 CUDA cores, 12 GB of GDDR6X at 19 Gbps, and 384-bit memory bus were accurate. It also confirms a 1,365 MHz base clock and a 1,665 MHz boost clock, lower than the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090.

What’s especially interesting in the screengrab is that it reveals the RTX 3080 Ti’s Ethereum mining performance; a very impressive 118.9 MH/s, ahead of the RTX 3080 (95 MH/s) and just under the RTX 3090 (120 MH/s to 125 MH/s). It's worth noting, however, that the card here has had its TDP reduced to 278W and memory overclocked to 21.4 Gbps.

Before you start worrying that this will be another GPU grabbed in bulk by miners the second it goes on sale, don’t worry; there is a large caveat. Nvidia is reportedly adding a mining limiter to all its new cards, as well as new variants of its current RTX 30-series, that renders ineffective the developer driver it accidentally released.

Given that the driver used here doesn’t recognize the RTX 3080 Ti, it’s likely this card is a sample being tested before Nvidia introduced the mining limiter. The final product will likely have half the shown hash rate or lower.

With boxes of the RTX 3080 Ti apparently on their way to LA, it looks as if the previously reported May launch date could be accurate. The next Ampere entry is now said to be priced at $1,099 rather than $999, but don’t expect that to put off gamers—and scalpers, sadly.

Permalink to story.

And now those of us in the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra queues still awaiting our notification to purchase are sitting in a dead sku queue. There's no incentive for any AIB partner to continue manufacturing the base 3080 models.

Be nice if they gave us the option to stick in that one of switch our reserve spot in line to this.

That won't happen though, and it's going to be a sh*tshow trying to get in on this early enough without having to wait 4 months to purchase.

There's no incentive for any AIB partner to continue manufacturing the base 3080 models.

That might be true if the Ti version was going to launch at the same MSRP as the 'vanilla' 3080, but there is going to be (at least) a $350 price differential, so the two cards can co-exist in the market place.

..not that the MSRP or having chance of being able to buy one are anything other than theoretical right now, given the current state of the GPU market.

That might be true if the Ti version was going to launch at the same MSRP as the 'vanilla' 3080, but there is going to be (at least) a $350 price differential, so the two cards can co-exist in the market place.

..not that the MSRP or having chance of being able to buy one are anything other than theoretical right now, given the current state of the GPU market.

Suppose that's true.
Though, personally, I think it'd be a fools game to consider the base 3080 at that point. That said, I realize a ~350.00 difference isn't exactly cheap for everyone either.

It'll be interesting to see how a 3070ti would fit into this line up.

It's basically going to be RTX3090 performance as has been touted for some time. Estimated 10 percent faster than a 3080 at 4K. The critical factor is the extra 2GB of memory and the chunk of bandwidth you also get.

Certainly looks a better long term prospect with those specs. Price and availability? I'm afraid to ask.

GA102-225-A1 die and mining performance—without Nvidia’s mining limiter applied....RTX 3080 Ti’s Ethereum mining performance; a very impressive 118.9 MH/s, ahead of the RTX 3080 (95 MH/s)
So nVidia decided to do 180 on its promises at the last minute, and screw gamers and regular users yet again. Unbelievable. They have become even worse than Apple now. How much is it gonna be on the opening now - $4,000?

nVidia yet again with their anti-mining driver nonsense. It's the end-user that buys an individual card that is screwed by this, because they can't mine to make the card pay back for itself. The large miners have too many resources. It will yet again be cracked in less than a month.

And even if it isn't, nVidia fails to understand that power consumption is also part of the mining equation. If you limit the hashrate, power consumption goes down, and the cards might still be attractive enough to mine with. Especially with everything being overly expensive, and shortages everywhere, miners will get these cards anyway if this is all they can get.

nVidia yet again with their anti-mining driver nonsense. It's the end-user that buys an individual card that is screwed by this, because they can't mine to make the card pay back for itself. The large miners have too many resources. It will yet again be cracked in less than a month.

And even if it isn't, nVidia fails to understand that power consumption is also part of the mining equation. If you limit the hashrate, power consumption goes down, and the cards might still be attractive enough to mine with. Especially with everything being overly expensive, and shortages everywhere, miners will get these cards anyway if this is all they can get.

Even with a gimped mining rate, it will still pay for itself. It's just forcing users that choose to do so to wait longer for that return on investment.

I've no qualms if people want to use the product they paid for to mine, it's their gpu, let them do what they want with it.

As a discouragement to prevent scalpers from snatching them all up for mining use or to flip, I can get behind this.
It's a slippery slope though, and realistically a "too little too late" move in an attempt to save face and 'win back' some good will from slighted gamers.

I actually mine in my office :) you mad you didn't join the bandwagon on time?
I'm not anti mining or even a that big on gaming. RIP Gamers just shows the immaturity of the poster, so I was just pointing it out. If you want to join in on his bandwagon it doesn't speak much for you either. I have a great job, and I'm living well. Thanks for your concern though.

We are at a point where bank robbers will just rob homeowners for their video cards.

Anyone bragging to their friends be careful who you brag to when you get a new expensive card.

Why only half the hash rate? Why not knock it down to 1%? Does it affect gaming performance? The whole cryptomining is just a waste of energy, it doesn't even provide entertainment and has to be run 24/7.

Why only half the hash rate? Why not knock it down to 1%? Does it affect gaming performance? The whole cryptomining is just a waste of energy, it doesn't even provide entertainment and has to be run 24/7.
Theretosix up there would not like my lack of linguistic maturity but I can't help it, so here it goes: LOL! Cryptomining might be a waste of electrical energy but it sure is a great way for the rich to get even richer quickly by selling cryptocoins to the noobs and fools. In this regard it is similar to the microtransactions industry, they both catter to noobs and fools.

Why dont Nvidia allow people to see their hot spot temps.

OCCT benchmark and GPU-z both have a section that supposedly monitors that, if you're not opposed to running a third party program for it.

OCCT does have some pretty quality benchmark tools built in for all PC components for testing OC stability, if that's your thing.

Back