Ruined my Internet connection

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm kind of a tech-challenged individual, so here's my problem:

I ran an ethernet cable out to my workshop from the main house - the one end of the cable was connected in the house to a wireless router, the other end in the workshop to my computer, via ethernet cable. Everything worked great.

Then, I tried to add a second wireless router in my workshop, using the directions that came with the router. Not only did it not work, but now my broadband will also not work. I get an error message saying there is no cable connected, or it's broken. I know this is wrong, because before I tried this, it worked just fine.

I hope I didn't break my computer!

Does anyone know how to:

A: tell me how to restore my broadband connection

B: hook up this router so it wll work, or

C: all of the above.

Thank you!!!!!

Bob

First, disconnect the new wireless and verify the original PC in the workshop is ok.

Now prepare the new Wifi router like this;
  • disconnect all wires from it
  • connect one cable from any LAN slot to a PC (and don't have that pc connected to anything else while doing this setup)
  • on the pc, open your browser and as a URL, enter the IP ADDRESS of the WiFi device(A)
  • you will get a prompt for user/password(A)
  • find the LAN setup tab
  • disable the DHCP service
  • (while you are here ...)
  • create a SSID that you will recognize when attempting to connect wirelessly
  • you should also enable and create encryption phrase (WPA2 would be best, WEP is least acceptable)
  • disable REMOTE management and port 8080
  • set a new login password (write it down!!!)
  • save the settings and the router should restart and force you attempt a login (ignore it as you are done)
(A) the IP Address and user-id/password are specific to you router - - specify the make/model number of yours please

Once you reach this point, you're ready to rewire;

Take a cable from the older router(lan) and run it to a (Lan)slot on the new router.

All systems will now be assigned IP addresses using the original router and all WiFi connections will use the
encrypted connection to the new router.

Back