Rumor: AMD planning to bundle Battlefield 4 with Kaveri APUs

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD is known for its partnership with EA DICE and Battlefield 4, already bundling the game with some Radeon R9 series GPUs, and working to integrate their low-level Mantle API into the title. Now information from Japanese website Hermitage Akihabara has suggested AMD will bundle Battlefield 4 with their upcoming Kaveri APU.

rumor amd battlefield kaveri apus ea dice apu kaveri battlefield 4

Not all Kaveri APUs will come with a Battlefield 4 Origin code in the box: the A10-7850K and A10-7700K are the most likely targets, as both top-end SKUs should be able to play the game at resolutions up to 1600 x 900. The game may also be only packaged in certain A10-7850K and A10-7700K, for a small premium over non-Battlefield bundles.

Hermitage Akihabara managed to snap a picture of the A10-7850K before its scheduled release in a few week's time, although the images don't really reveal anything exciting. The APU will come with a 3.7 GHz quad-core CPU based on AMD's new 'Steamroller' architecture, plus a 720 MHz GCN 1.1-based GPU with eight compute units, derived from the Radeon R7 series supporting TrueAudio and Mantle.

More details on Kaveri APUs are expected at CES 2014, as well as a price point for the chips. AMD is advertising the new range of APUs as the most powerful ever, but they're unlikely to take the gaming world by storm. An on-die GPU with the performance of an entry-level discrete graphics card is decent, but not quite up to scratch for those that want to play games on maximum settings.

Permalink to story.

Cool, cant wait to see some reviews on these chips as im curious just how well these GPUs will do. If they are anywhere near the HD 7770 which ive heard the top tier one will be around the 7770-7790, then this may take the world by storm especially if they allow overclocking on more than just the CPU. I would love to see one of these clocked at 4.8-5.0ghz with a 800+ core clock on the GPU.

Glad they keep giving out BF4, its a cool little add on.

APU's and Frostbite 3 don't mix. Unless you like Low quality visuals and/or piss poor framerates.

See, there's this thing called Mantle and a thing called its going to have the equivalent of an HD 7770. Even if its just a 7750, mixing mantle and that will at least deliver playable frame rates at medium resolution. These were never intended to be the most amazing gamer chips on the market, they are meant for low-mid range individuals.

LOL give away free games that wont work
gamers will always use discrete gpus so the "free game bundle" is an incentive to those who want amd.
what I don't get is the bundle will have a small premium price over non-bundled offering.
if it's just 5$, then it's a no-brainer. if it's 50$, maybe not.

APUs don't necessarily have to be slow. After all, that's what the Xbox One and PS4 both are (yes, I know they're less than half the performance of the latest PC video cards). And HD 7770 performance levels, assuming that's true, wouldn't be too bad considering that's not too much slower than the Xbox One GPU. Mostly, I just like seeing the baseline low end for PC graphics getting higher.

There are a tens of millions of people who do NOT want to buy an add it GPU.

There are tens of millions of Laptops sold with a discrete GPU that is similar to or WORSE than the integrated GPU on the Kaveri chip.

Almost ALL the new AAA games in 2014 will use MANTLE!

These games will run substantially better on AMD GRAPHICS, including the KAVERI chip.

Only the gamers who know NOTHING about computing criticize Kaveri.... because they are MORONS!

I have no idea what you just said.
Others did, it has the same power according to whats been talked about as roughly a HD 7770 depending on core clocks...
I repeat, bad game choice for an APU.
No its not, its one of the best if not best choices because of the MANTLE API. With these chips containing GCN architecture with Mantle and true audio support, that means if this turns out to be the 20% were being told (Well actually ive heard up to 30%, but whatever, ill believe that when I see it) then the fact an HD 7770 can run it at medium with great FPS, then adding the Mantle API will get it on high setting with a decent FPS. Its perfect for giving gamers a good system without spending alot and showing them what they can do.

Others did, it has the same power according to whats been talked about as roughly a HD 7770 depending on core clocks...

No its not, its one of the best if not best choices because of the MANTLE API. With these chips containing GCN architecture with Mantle and true audio support, that means if this turns out to be the 20% were being told (Well actually ive heard up to 30%, but whatever, ill believe that when I see it) then the fact an HD 7770 can run it at medium with great FPS, then adding the Mantle API will get it on high setting with a decent FPS. Its perfect for giving gamers a good system without spending alot and showing them what they can do.

LOL You're funny.

LOL You're funny.
and lol you're being a fanboy there's no such thing as bad or not viable in computers everything is good for something imagine my brother plays games but he doesn't care about visuals he doesn't like consoles but he wants a pc which is close to a console price I would easily build him a 500$ 400$ system with an Apu which would easily kick-*** yes maybe it would be lowest graphics but what its the gameplay that counts for my brother so what makes it a bad Chip if it can run a modern game like bf4 at lowest graphics you're blinded by your stupidity of one side criticising the other by no reason what so ever if anyone wants to buy a budget Gaming pc or just a normal surfing and casual gaming pc This is were the APU are targeting they arent aiming high mate just casual gaming

and lol you're being a fanboy there's no such thing as bad or not viable in computers everything is good for something imagine my brother plays games but he doesn't care about visuals he doesn't like consoles but he wants a pc which is close to a console price I would easily build him a 500$ 400$ system with an Apu which would easily kick-*** yes maybe it would be lowest graphics but what its the gameplay that counts for my brother so what makes it a bad Chip if it can run a modern game like bf4 at lowest graphics you're blinded by your stupidity of one side criticising the other by no reason what so ever if anyone wants to buy a budget Gaming pc or just a normal surfing and casual gaming pc This is were the APU are targeting they arent aiming high mate just casual gaming

Word of the decade - fanboy. *sigh*
I own BFBC2, pre-ordered BF3 and pre-ordered BF4, and my last 6 GPU's were AMD.
I'm a realist, not a brain dead fanboy. I don't buy hardware or software based on what's on a couple slides. I have more sense than that.

Just because I could play the original Far Cry with an FX 5200 on Low detail doesn't make it a great GPU in any sense. Same applies to APU's. No one is going to buy an APU to play BF4 unless they are insanely cheap or have dementia.

Word of the decade - fanboy. *sigh*
I own BFBC2, pre-ordered BF3 and pre-ordered BF4, and my last 6 GPU's were AMD.
I'm a realist, not a brain dead fanboy. I don't buy hardware or software based on what's on a couple slides. I have more sense than that.
these are not based on a couple of slides mate if richland can manage to play battlefield 4 why cant kavieri. + richland isn't running mantle add the kavieri performance boost with the one that mantle will give and u have your answer

these are not based on a couple of slides mate if richland can manage to play battlefield 4 why cant kavieri. + richland isn't running mantle add the kavieri performance boost with the one that mantle will give and u have your answer

You're funny.

You're funny.
and you criticising the Apus for no reason makes me sick what the hell is the problem with this technology you don't like it just don't bother with it then and stop trying to prove something the Apus are just fine for new games even for bf4 so just quit it all you've proven from your posts was that you dislike them well if u dislike them does that mean that everyone should well I tell you defintly not because your just speaking out of inexperience .
you have money ok spend it on whatever you want but who has a budget and still wants to play yes go for the apu and who says no one will go for the Apu to play battlefield 4 every pc gamer almost have tried battlefield 4 or 3 or the others one day or another and I can say that not everyone aims for the eye candy but more aim for the gameplay personally go buy a 300$ graphic card and play it on ultra on the other hand if u just buy an Apu pc ul play it on low yes youll get 40+ frames I could most likely see that and it will cost you 400$

now lets see a casual gamer with a 400$ who plays all games on low but still enjoys the game
vs a gamer like you I believe who probably spends 1,200$ or close to that price just to see everything ultra seems like a big difference in price doesn't it?

There are a tens of millions of people who do NOT want to buy an add it GPU.

There are tens of millions of Laptops sold with a discrete GPU that is similar to or WORSE than the integrated GPU on the Kaveri chip.

Almost ALL the new AAA games in 2014 will use MANTLE!

These games will run substantially better on AMD GRAPHICS, including the KAVERI chip.

Only the gamers who know NOTHING about computing criticize Kaveri.... because they are MORONS!
You should consider going into politics. You shout a lot without saying a lot.

Please pardon my ignorance regarding amd's mantle...but the banter (?) between hahahanoobs and techgamer made me rethink the value of mantle...
(I'm currently re-reading some techspot articles regarding amd's mantle and the gcn architecture.

@hahahanoobs : is my understanding correct that your stand is "wait and see" until mantle is released and properly benchmarked when it comes out in the retail channel?

Please pardon my ignorance regarding amd's mantle...but the banter (?) between hahahanoobs and techgamer made me rethink the value of mantle...
(I'm currently re-reading some techspot articles regarding amd's mantle and the gcn architecture.

@hahahanoobs : is my understanding correct that your stand is "wait and see" until mantle is released and properly benchmarked when it comes out in the retail channel?

At least wait for a convincing demo of it a la G-Sync. I'll never understand why anyone would defend something so passionately when they haven't even seen the real world performance (the true definition of a fanboy).

Actually, last night I chose an old Tech Report podcast to listen to before going to sleep, and they talked about AMD or DICE I forget now, testing BF4 on Kavari w/Mantle (early build albeit but still), and at 1080p it did 27-33fps on Medium. No way is that acceptable for anyone into first person shooters, which is what I assumed and is why I shot down the inclusion of it being bundled with an APU. I don't hate AMD's APU's, but they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread at all. It's a $140 chip ffs. It's not hard to see that it's use is/will be severely limited compared to a real desktop CPU and dGPU. Clearly AMD has this BF4 bundle deal with DICE because of their collaboration of Mantle, and getting 30fps at Medium detail is the most AMD has to brag about their "new" 28nm APU. I get called a fanboy when I'm a wolf instead of a sheep. It's sad.

It's okay, this "fanboy" gets the last laugh knowing Kavari is MAYBE 20% better than Richland, and there is no Steamroller FX in 2014.

Last edited:
At least wait for a convincing demo of it a la G-Sync. I'll never understand why anyone would defend something so passionately when they haven't even seen the real world performance (the true definition of a fanboy).

Actually, last night I chose an old Tech Report podcast to listen to before going to sleep, and they talked about AMD or DICE I forget now, testing BF4 on Kavari w/Mantle (early build albeit but still), and at 1080p it did 27-33fps on Medium. No way is that acceptable for anyone into first person shooters, which is what I assumed and is why I shot down the inclusion of it being bundled with an APU. I don't hate AMD's APU's, but they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread at all. It's a $140 chip ffs. It's not hard to see that it's use is/will be severely limited compared to a real desktop CPU and dGPU. Clearly AMD has this BF4 bundle deal with DICE because of their collaboration of Mantle, and getting 30fps at Medium detail is the most AMD has to brag about their "new" 28nm APU. I get called a fanboy when I'm a wolf instead of a sheep. It's sad.

It's okay, this "fanboy" gets the last laugh knowing Kavari is MAYBE 20% better than Richland, and there is no Steamroller FX in 2014.

So an early build is getting 30 FPS on medium detail, then that sounds like a win in general. Your trying to play this whole wait and see yet only speak of negatives on everything regarding BF4. Get over yourself, 30+ FPS is enough to play a game and on medium thats a good deal to pay 150 bucks and be able to play a demanding game like BF4 without spending extra on a GPU and thats only assuming this "Podcast" of yours is legit.

The reason people get onto him is hes on every thread that even talks about BF4 and talks trash constantly about it. Hes a CoD fanboy hiding in the closet.
The value of Mantle is completely unkown, assuming that it gets at max a 30% performance boost like AMD claims games using it will (Or at minimum 15%) that will change the market because it will make the needs of always grabbing the latest and greatest to play gone and improve performance on GPU's all around. However, in the same realm as G-SYNC in terms of the "Unknown benefit" we will have to wait and see. It could end up being a complete flop or the greatest thing since sliced bread, in January we will have our answer.

I love this site!

When you paint a wall and it has a lot of runs in it, do you say how good the rest of the wall looks, or do you speak on how bad the runs ruin it? That's BF4 in a nutshell. btw, I own the freaking game ffs, but it has a lot of flaws. Fact.

BlaRyder starts off using the numbers I got to show how great the chips will be (yea, I'm giving him info on what he's trying to argue with me about :|), then ends with questioning my source. If you haven't heard of the The Tech Report, I can't take anything you say seriously.

Then he says, "It could end up being a complete flop or the greatest thing since sliced bread, in January we will have our answer", which is exactly my point in the FIRST post I made, so that makes his arguments confusing at best. I guess that makes sense, since I don't speak sheep.

God help us all.

Last edited:
I love this site!
im still wondering why you're still here since u can't accept all the technology which is offered this is definitely not a site for you when there's a review accept what's given to you and quit whining if it doesn't cut for you just don't talk

im still wondering why you're still here since u can't accept all the technology which is offered this is definitely not a site for you when there's a review accept what's given to you and quit whining if it doesn't cut for you just don't talk

I'll have to stick around to keep you wondering then, sheep.

PS, You fail at punctuation and capitalization. Why are you commenting if you can't even write English?

PS, You fail at punctuation and capitalization. Why are you commenting if you can't even write English?
Why would anyone bother walking, if they can't run?

English skills are not a prerequisite on forums. Maybe in the main article but not in the comments.

Why would anyone bother walking, if they can't run?

English skills are not a prerequisite on forums. Maybe in the main article but not in the comments.

No one writes like that on purpose because it's the internet and they can get away with it. It comes from years of experience, or lack thereof.
With only text representing you, it only makes sense to show you have some education, rather than coming off as a 12 year old dropout in a discussion you assume is among men.

Back