Rumor: Apple music subscription could start at $10/month

Emil

Staff

Apple is in talks with major record labels to provide a subscription-based music service, allowing unlimited access to songs for a monthly fee. Citing unnamed sources, the New York Post said Apple iTunes boss Eddy Cue talked to music labels about how they could implement this plan just a few weeks ago. The service would reportedly have tiered pricing ranging from $10 to $15, depending on much music would be included and how long consumers would be able to access the content. That's more expensive than the Google Music rumor but details are still scarce for both services.

Rumors about an Apple streaming service have been around for years but they've increased ever since Apple bought Lala and killed it. Many key details are still unknown: how much music would users be able to access in a month and for how long? Current subscription services offer their whole music library until the subscription is canceled, but Apple might do something different. Apple may be working on a cloud service that would allow users to store their iTunes music libraries on the company's servers and then stream those songs to Web-connected devices, but this would be separate from a streaming music subscription service.

This rumor comes hot on the heels of news that Apple is arguing against streaming music service Spotify's US launch, telling music executives that it could hurt download sales, according to CNET. Spotify is a music streaming service that has already had huge success in Europe, since it offers both an ad-supported option as well as a premium subscription with no ads.

Permalink to story.

I don't like any of this "streaming all the music you want" services. I want to keep the music I listen to and not pay a subscription to be given the privlige in order to listen to the music. I would day any subscription based music streaming service is a rip off, except microsoft's where you got to keep a certain amount of songs each month, I liked that Idea but then really its still pricey considering.

I'm with burty117. I'm a music junkie and the amount of music I own is embarrassing. But I love it and love to burn CD's or load up my various mp3 players with different types of music.

Streaming doesn't serve my needs other than possibly discovering new music. And I have the (free) radio for that.

well i'm all for this. Maybe MS will lower the zune pass price thats what i want!

...hey if apple does do this, i bet ppl are going to be like "OMG apple did it first!!!"

How much of your music collection did you actually buy? If you don't pay for it then a subscription of some sort doesn't really make any sense. As for me, I like to listen to music not spend hours searching it out or just being able to listen to what I bought. The idea of a sub that lets me listen to tens of thousands of tracks and not have to commit more than $14 per month such as with the Zune Pass is a godsend.

I bought everything I have. Sometimes 3-4 times for the same songs. For example, Led Zepplin III on LP, then on 8-track, then on cassette, on CD and now (sometimes if I get lazy and don't feel like ripping a CD), mp3. Which ticks me off because I wonder how many times I'm going to have to keep paying for the same music just because the media type has changed.

Again, paying for streaming music doesn't work for me. I have a radio for that and now most HD radio stations broadcast for free. Only difference is with streaming, you don't have as many commercials.

I think this is ok if they make it some how you can transport them to portable devices to use offline. A cache type of thing like slacker radio has.

Back