Rumor: first Windows Phone 7 update will be massive

Emil

Staff

Chris Walsh, the creator of the first jailbroken app and one of the developers of ChevronWP7, is making some bold claims about the first update to Windows Phone 7 via his Twitter account. Rumored to be coming January, the first update will apparently be massive (rumors suggest Bing turn-by-turn directions, custom ringer support, copy and paste, as well as multitasking support), according to Walsh.

Here are the five most important Walsh made regarding the update, in chronological order:

I'm hearing the first #wp7 update is going to be MASSIVE!
@tomhounsell Haha, they've been working on this update long before they actually shipped v1 :
@keyboardP As @tomhounsell said, MS took 3 months to do what Apple did in 3 years. ;-)
@danvy Can't disclose the sources, but can disclose the details. More to come #wp7
@adamUCF Let's just say, they could have called it Windows Phone 8 :P

The first update to Windows Phone 7 will be arguably more important than any other. First of all, it will be the first attempt by Microsoft to update its new mobile OS and test its system to do so. Microsoft has tested its mobile OS update system before, but only internally, and never on a large scale. Secondly, it will show exactly how significant Windows Phone updates will be. Is Walsh right in that the update will be massive or will it mainly include bugfixes?

Permalink to story.

My GF and I took advantage of the buy-one-get-one-free WP7 deal this passed weekend... so I really hope these rumors have some amount of validity. It would be fantastic to get all of this stuff so soon!

Only fools and people with to much money buy any product from Microsoft until the first service pack comes out.

fwilliams said:
Only fools and people with to much money buy any product from Microsoft until the first service pack comes out.
I guess that makes 150ish million people complete fools or rich with too much money on their hands. OR, they knew that something was good or at least a change for the better before said service pack came out.

If you haven't guessed it I'm talking about Windows 7, which falls under the "any product" category.

fwilliams said:
Funny, that's exactly what I was going to say about Apple, only instead of "the first service pack", I was going to say "the second generation device with the features they intentionally left out of the first generation so that they could get you to buy it all over again". OK, maybe not EXACTLY.

fwilliams said:

Do we need to start a debate on what Apple's iphone was missing at its launch? Or for the same matter Android as well? I hope you get the point. It isn't about MS, Apple/Google/Nokia all are in very competitive market (i.e. mobile platforms) and they not only want to have biggest piece of pie but also want to make more money, hence they all from time to time launch products which can be termed as 'barely ready' but not 'complete.

lol.

It's Windows so there will be a ton of updates. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an SP2, 3, or whatever. Their programmers don't even know how to release a properly working OS even after being in the business for decades already.

Programming, they must learn it.

DSparil said:
lol.

It's Windows so there will be a ton of updates. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an SP2, 3, or whatever. Their programmers don't even know how to release a properly working OS even after being in the business for decades already.

That has nothing to do with providing updates. Providing regular and timely updates to maintain major software is not limited JUST Microsoft. Apple does it with OSX. [insert user]'s favorite linux distribution has regular updates, both official and unofficial. Hell your favorite internet browsers/steam game/whatever has them. It is an essential part of updating features and fixing problems as they arise which keeps the user's loyalty with software vendors. It is nearly impossible to work out every conceivable bug in a piece of software as complex as an operating system, and the number of test environments available to the company are very limited, even when software is in open alpha/beta, which is why you see periodic updates to software, to address issues or add functionality after the fact.

The only difference is that rather than changing a version number, Microsoft denotes them as service packs when they intend to lump multiple smaller updates into one large one. Except for Windows ME and Windows Vista, those more or less got version increases for arguments sake (ME was the last of the non NT line Operating Systems with reversion to 2000 and upgrades to XP, and Vista was often downgraded to XP and later replaced by 7).

Either way, you comment would offend a large number of programmers, if they care enough over their energy drink + coffee all nighter high to even give such a post a moment of their time. :)

madboyv1 said:
DSparil said:
lol.

That has nothing to do with providing updates. Providing regular and timely updates to maintain major software is not limited JUST Microsoft. Apple does it with OSX. [insert user]'s favorite linux distribution has regular updates, both official and unofficial. Hell your favorite internet browsers/steam game/whatever has them. It is an essential part of updating features and fixing problems as they arise which keeps the user's loyalty with software vendors. It is nearly impossible to work out every conceivable bug in a piece of software as complex as an operating system, and the number of test environments available to the company are very limited, even when software is in open alpha/beta, which is why you see periodic updates to software, to address issues or add functionality after the fact.

The only difference is that rather than changing a version number, Microsoft denotes them as service packs when they intend to lump multiple smaller updates into one large one. Except for Windows ME and Windows Vista, those more or less got version increases for arguments sake (ME was the last of the non NT line Operating Systems with reversion to 2000 and upgrades to XP, and Vista was often downgraded to XP and later replaced by 7).

Either way, you comment would offend a large number of programmers, if they care enough over their energy drink + coffee all nighter high to even give such a post a moment of their time. :)

right...

The only thing worse than bad programming are the ones who love bad programming.

right...

The only thing worse than bad programming are the ones who love bad programming.

Did you had any brain surgery by any chance in recent times? I mean they may have forgot to put back the most important bit once they finished it. :rolleyes:

Learn to program?

You mean... learn to be like apple and lock down your OS so that nobody can write programs for it. They have to release updates due to errors found when all the people writing software for it find problems.

No program that the company I works for even exists for Apple. There is no Apple Payroll client, or Apple Property Management software that ties in to Apple Accounting products.

MS is open and that is why every business uses MS. Because vendors are open to writing programs for it and when they find grand sweeping errors there is a company that writes fixes for it.

Linux being the opposite, in that it is open but when there are errors nobody has financial incentive to fix them or make things work. It's all about money.

Back